Ford Problems

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peanut2004, May 20, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Question about this . . . I have a 2000 Honda Passport. My check engine light came on a few weeks ago and I took it to Auto Zone and the code came back "EGR flow insufficient". My brother in law took the valve off and cleaned it and put it back on. Check engine light came on again. Same code. Spent $170 on a new EGR valve. Check engine light came on again, same code.

The only thing that my BIL did not do (and I still don't know why) was replace the gasket. That's our next move.

Any other suggestions?

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

There is a sensor that feed this information to the computer which is probably the problem. I had the same issue with a truck a few years back.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Geez you would think the gasket would be replaced, if its not sealing properly it would still show that code. Good Luck

4. michelle

Do you know the name of the sensor? Is it expensive or hard to change?

5. michelle

I know, right. I could not believe that he didn't change the damn thing, especially since it came with the part. Just seems like simple logic to me . . .

6. seabee

seabee Guest

possibly back-pressure sensor, fords are sometimes called differential pressure feedback sensor,

Oxygen sensors help the EGR also but to my knowledge it would show the failure of that sensor in the code check.

7. michelle

Why are cars so complicated!

8. seabee

seabee Guest

they have evolved like life.... :lol::lol:

9. Wayne Stollings

Not for a Honda, I do not. It was repaired under waranty on mine as it was emission control related and was covered for 50,000 miles/5 years.

10. Wayne Stollings

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov2001/techtips.htm

A lift sensor on top of the EGR valve works just like a TPS sensor. There are three wires: a signal wire (yellow or white/blue) that goes back to the ECM, a 5-volt reference wire and a ground wire.

Note: When there is an EGR problem and the ECM senses that problem, it stops grounding the solenoid and stops EGR operation. Make sure the code is cleared from the ECM so it will try to operate the EGR solenoid.

This lift sensor may be the one for the Honda, and the note about clearing the code may mean if the EGR was a problem and the code was not cleared the light would still stay on.

11. michelle

Please forgive my ignorance . . . What is an ECM? We took the car to Auto Zone and they cleared the code but the light came back on the second time we drove it. Is clearing the ECM different from what Auto Zone would have done? Again, forgive my lack of car knowledge. Usually when the check engine light comes on I trade the car but can't afford to do it this time.

12. michelle

PS/ the code that came back was 1401 if I recall correctly.

13. seabee

seabee Guest

engine control module...

14. seabee

seabee Guest

The testers that these places use are quick easy reference testers, now if you were to have a quality place put it on a real diagnosis machine it will better pinpoint the failure, there are several sensors that function together to make things operate properly.

15. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

16. Wayne Stollings

:iagree: