more bs at jc schools

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tigerlily, May 24, 2009.

1. tigerlily

tigerlily Well-Known Member

my child has an iep in math she has only passed the eog one time since third grade. last year in sixth . i went to wavers to beg for her to go on to in seventh grade. this year she has had a b c average all year again. however, for three months this year her teacher a special iep math teacher was out. she had a math sub who also was out for six weeks . so basically she had a sub of a sub. that was an old man who didnt know math. she failed the eog last week. i am ****ed off, i paid for a private tutor all summer . and am about too lose my home to forcloser . im single and cant pay for another summer tutor . jc schools can kiss it. as far as im concerned. thanks i needed to vent.

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Does she currently have the NCExtend for math? Go over your IEP w/ a fine tooth comb for sure. IF goals are NOT met for the year (say for math), you will be able to possibly qualify for ESY, summer school, OR waivers and such. Don't listen to a lot of what the school tells you regarding IEP's. Majority of what they say is NOT accurate. Trust me, I've escalated to the DPI before, saught advice of advocates, etc. BTW, the federal laws override what JCPS tries to pull over on you. Learned a ton over the last two weeks. Write me privately as some on here will go after you--LOL. I wrote my first post years ago and it was regarding an IEP. Got hammered on here from folks not being very nice. So, to avoid all that, write me privately. I do have some things that maybe you can look up and see the rules. Have you gone to Wrights' Law yet? The IDEA site? Try those resources first. I have 3 kids in middle school, all w/ IEP's. Got so bad w/ two of them that I was all out of fight. So, now I homeschool 2 of the 3. The other one still in middle school, having massive issues w/ the school. Been all year. Sorry but if you can't speak proper english as a teacher and my daughter corrects you...so be it! Anyhow, I have found that the middle schools here and IEP's do not mix well. I've heard this from many other parents as well. So, know your not alone. Check out Wrights' Law website for sure. I wish you all th e best. It is truly ashame in this county as I think the kids could do so much more if their IEP's were properly followed. Good luck. Okay, between you and me the comments should start flying off the handle--LOL.

Stephanie--mom to 7

3. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

We had to hire an attorney when our child hit 6th grade! IEP and 504 plans will be the death of me!

4. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what a IEP is? Sorry just trying to understand.
    Sheri

5. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

IEP-Individual education plan

6. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

It is an Individualized Education Plan. Children who qualify get one to tweak the educational system to meet their needs. It is very detailed to what extras they need, or what is expected from the staff/student in order to help the child succeed. It also explains the goals and they re-access yearly to make sure the goals are being met and to make what ever changes are needed.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Some teachers and school administrators seem to fail to understand that the IEP is not optional, it is a legal document and they are legally required to comply with it.

8. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

If your child has been struggling this much for five years don't you think it might be a good idea to let her repeat the year and maybe not have to struggle as much next year?

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they see it as a guide line. My son who was almost failing is now on A/B honor roll and in the advanced classes... but it took getting legal counsel to convince the school that we were serious about them giving him the help he needed and deserved. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the mess we did, but if your child needs help and you dont feel you are getting it, YOU are their only advocate. Dont let them fall through the cracks.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Don't you think it might be a good idea to let her PARENT make that decision?

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The question was posing an option to ensure the parent did not miss it.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Did ya'll read the same OP I did? She was doing just fine until the 3 months that they had sub. She should repeat the whole year because of those 3 months? In one subject? I think not. But since you are the Wizard of Oz of 4042, why don't you tell us all what she should do.

13. Local Lady

Local Lady Well-Known Member

Middle School

I have twins starting middle school this fall. I would love to hear advice from experienced parents on what I should be on the lookout for, anything... Thanks so much!

14. Wayne Stollings

It depends on how long it will take to recover in that one subject in the next year. Some classes, such as science and math will compound the problem since they build on the previous knowledge.

As for what to do, I cannot say as there is not enough information provided, but there are many options to consider and the student's future problems are the primary concern.

I did enough tutoring in high school to help fellow students who did not have the basics for the classes to know the frustration.

As an aside my school did not provide the advanced math classes I needed for my major in college so I took advanced admissions for summer classes in that univeristy statrting my junior year in high school. Summer classes for college algebra is not easy as they compress a semesters worth of work into a shorter schedule. I pulled an "A" in the class. I pulled an "A" in pre-calculus my first semester in a class where I really did not work hard and a friend did in order to pull a "B". The next semester I got an instructor for calculus that completely lost me. I failed the class even with me working my butt off. My friend did not work any harder and pulled an "A" in a class with another instructor. I had already passed statics with an "A" in my Intro to Engineering class, which should have been the bump I neede to pass the calculus, but I was so confused and off the basics by that time I failed that seciton too. My only choice to get back on track was to retake calculus with a different instructor and get my basics back in line because the next levels would be even worse for me if I had tried to continue.

So, yes, one class can cause a big problem later on if you do not have your basics in place.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Wayne, you are truly the master of stating the obvious. Yes, math builds upon itself, that is a given. 8) However, seems to me from what has been presented here, it is the school/teachers that have fallen down on the job in this case, not the parent. I don't think 3 months at that age is an insurrmountable obstacle. I would have to weigh that against the social and mental damage done by having to repeat at that age. K or 1st grade to have to repeat is one thing, nearly middle school is entirely another. Seems like wasting the whole rest of the year in all other subjects versus 3 months in one would be a greater issue. But again, I am not this child's parent. What I am saying is that she is obviously doing everything she can (tutoring in the past,etc.). 2nd guessing what an obviously involved parent decides to do is crazy in my book. They certainly know their child better than any of us or the blanket rules put in place at the school.

16. Wayne Stollings

Since none here have blamed the parent this means what?

So you know this student and how quickly they can recover from this or just making a general statment based on belief?

The possible damage as opposed to the possible social and mental damage of being the unprepared for the classes? It seems the parent and teachers would be the better bases for such a determination, but that is just me.

Yet, you wish to discount or prevent the presentation of any option other than the one you would choose?

None have said different other than you in this implication.

Presenting options is not second guessing. Sometimes people get blinded by focusing on one option whithout thinking about alternatives. One can weigh all of the alternatives and choose the best option or one can ignore all but one and hope that was the best choice. I personally like to hear all options because even if they do not work they may point to an optimal modification to another.

17. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Ok, now I see what a IEP is, now how do you get your child on that kind of program? Who recommends it? Reason I'm asking is not for my DD but for one of my DD friends.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Look, Mr. Lawyer man. I was commenting on the response about it perhaps being the best thing if the child is held back. NONE of us know anything other than what is posted here, as you so frequently trot out. Pardon the crap out of me if I choose to defer to what the parent thinks is best for their child. Go grill a burger or something. Geez.

19. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Back many years ago when my daughter was in the 5th grade (it was the year that Cleveland Elementary School opened it's doors), my daughter and her math class (full of A B students) experienced a similiar situation. There were 4 teachers cycled through that room from the first day of school to the last day of school. Each teacher which entered into the position had a different personality, a different teaching method, and a different relationship with the students. My daughter was one of many who suffered because of what occurred with the teachers which revolved through the door of that classroom that year. Many parents felt as I did.

It's possible that there are other parents who might be feeling the same frustrations. You might ask your child if there are any other students from that class who have parents who are frustrated and talk with them.

20. Wayne Stollings

Yet you seemed not to understand the "perhaps" in no way took anything from the parent's ability to decide? In fact, you claimed the mental and social damage as if you knew what it would be.....exactly.

And none of the rest of us are not? Perhaps you need to try a remedial reading class. Could it be you lost a few months in reading education and never caught up? That could explain the lack of understanding of the option and the unnecessary fixation on the provision of options some how removing the decision from the parent.

Maybe you need a valium or a few stiff drinks to mellow you out. :mrgreen: