Carowinds or Kings Dominion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

I have never been to any. I have a 6 year old and a 8 year old. Which one is better for thier age group? I looked online they both look the same. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Kings Dominion has a children's area that they would enjoy. It's been 20 years since I've been to Carowinds - and I didn't have kids when I was there so I can't compare.
    If you go, check with SECU - you can get discount tickets.

For what it's worth my kids like Busch Gardens better than Kings Dominion. They were in that age group when we started. It's about the same driving distance. We have had season tickets for years.

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I went to both back in the 80's and preferred Kings Dominion for what that's worth.

4. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  5. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

Speaking of Carowinds.

Does anyone else remember this theme song from around 1972?

Carowinds
    Is a magic place
    where the breeze
    takes you where you please
    Each day's a holiday
    Every day's a Saturday
    Fun never ends
    Carowinds

I don't know why, but the words and the music of this song have been stuck in my head since I was a kid.

6. Sassygurl81

Sassygurl81 Well-Known Member

We like Kings Dominion better. We get there early and ride as much as we can until the water park opens. We end up spending the rest of the day at the water park. They have slides, a wave pool, a water fun house, lazy river, and bumper boats.

7. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Carowinds sucks! Went there on Memorial Day weekend (booked the trip forgetting what weekend it was...DOH!) and it was a nightmare. Paramount sold it to the company that owns Cedar Pointe in Ohio. It was nasty, dirty as were the people. It was the first day of the water park opening and I did not even want to get near the place. There USED to be a dress code when Paramount owned it (or at least I thought there was) but with the way some of these people were dressed, I thought I was at a pimp and ho convention. There needs to be a law as to whether a woman is allowed to wear a two piece bathing suit or not. :ack: Not to mention some of "males". NOTE: If you are too skiiny to have your pants fit properly...WEAR A FRIGGING BELT!!!!!! I don't want to see your underwear or your butt crack! -rant over-.

Also: since they sold it, they removed the log ride, the Spongebob ride (I was looking forward to that, it was fun!), changed the Borg to the Carolina Cyclone (and they changed it up a bit as well) and changed Top Gun to Afterburner. I was very upset afterwards. Especially after eating at what used to be a pretty cool "burger joint" inside the park (the old 50's diner) and spending $45 on three burger baskets with fries and four meduim drinks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  8. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I hadn't been to Carowinds in years until last summer. They now have water parks integrated into the park itself, throughout the park..I like that place, it's small enough you don't get lost and big enough to wear you out. It was cool to take the girls to a place I grew up going to as a child. KingsDominion is the best around Halloween.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Another option (although I've never been) is Emerald Pointe Water Park near Greensboro. I've been thinking about taking my son to that. Anybody know anything about that place?

10. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

That is our next adventure. I do pray it is MUCH better than Carowinds. That won't take much to top, though.

11. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

So Kings Domonion sounds like the better place.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why you gotta be hating?

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

It is a fun place - but if you have a problem with how folks dress/choice of swimsuits....its probably going to be just as bad or worse there :lol:

14. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Kings Dominion lately?

This is a old post but we are considering taking a day trip to Kings Dominion. Is it still a nice amusement park? Can you make Kings Dominion a day trip? Any recent experiences will be appreciated.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Season Pass holder here, it's a great place for being so close. It's like an hour and a half or so from here. Was planning on going Thursday but with the forecast, going next Tuesday instead. The wave pool is great. Sometimes we go to the NC Zoo in the morning and water park in the afternoon. They are like 25 minutes apart or so.

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

This is our 2nd year with season passes to Wet 'n Wild. It's a great water park ... well staffed and clean. So far this year the week days have not been as busy as last year. Weekends tend to be packed.

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Kings Dominion is awesome and a great day trip!!

18. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Just to help out a bit ,you can get some pretty good discounts from retailmenot.com

Alot of employees from different companies will get discounts provided to them so they publicly will post the code.

That's the only time I will go to Carowinds/Kings Dominon/Emerald Pointe. I refuse to pay full price. :)

19. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

we were at Kings Dominion on Sunday. Other than it was 105 it was very nice. A lot of high intense roller coasters. A nice kids area called Camp Snoopy (under 10 probably), and a big water park area that is included in your admission. Get there at opening , 10 am. Not much for shows /entertainment. they do give free ice water if you ask. thats nice when it was 105.

we lived in Charloote from 96-02 adn went to Carowinds once or twice a year. Both are owned by the same company and are probably comparable.

go to visit Richmond web site and get discounts. $10 off I think.

20. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member