Auto AC

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Jun 9, 2009.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ugh, the AC on my car is blowing out hot air, picked a great time to quit working, huh? Anyone have someone they recommend that can take a look at it without charging an arm & leg - do you still have to be licensed to deal with the freon like they do in VA? Tag is not an option, they are just a bit too pricey for me so i am open to any other suggestions. TIA

2. ih8dasouth

ih8dasouth Guest

Sweat, It's good fer ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Well welcome to the board and thank you so much for the helpful advice:roll:

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm gonna recommend TAG. Bobby has been extremely good to us. He's always been very fair with pricing.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree:

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

yeah, you told me that and the first time w/DH's truck i thought it was fair except for what they wanted to charge for their recommendation about a belt but when i took DS's car up there to find out what the problem was, the guy, head mechanic i believe, charged me around $90 just to tell me that they didn't check all the way to see what the actual problem was but it would probably cost more than his car was worth - i would have been fine with that if he could have put it on the computer to find out what it was but didn't feel like it was fair to charge that kind of money to take a quick looksee and not give me an answer. Guess i am just too frugal in some ways:lol:

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey and you did tell me a little story about that:lol:

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I think the head mechanic you're talking about was recently, um, seperated from service.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok one more post in a row:oops: the reason i ask about the licensing question dealing with the AC is that i do know someone that works on the side but not sure if he will be able to do so

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ah, not that would make a difference - the first time i dealt with the owner, 2nd time was the head mechanic.

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

As far as I know, anyone can walk into the auto parts store and buy freon... they certainly sold me some about a month ago.

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I need the same info. My daughter's older Honda doesn't have working air. We took it to Clayton Honda a few years back and paid alot to have it fixed. It worked for one summer and hasn't since. I need someone who can find out where the leak is without charging so much.

13. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

KC, I can ask bf if you want me to.

14. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

You can only buy the R134a but you'll have to have a license to buy r12. If you've got a newer vehicle, you've got 134a. I feel for ya, my wife's car doesn't have a working a/c. The compressor blew the seals and it's going to cost $200 just for the part. She uses my truck when she has to go somewhere until we can afford the part.

Mike

15. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Technically you are supposed to have a license to mess with any refrigerant. As of now, you can purchase 134a without CFC's, but unless you are certified you cannot do anything with it. If your system is an R-12 system, you can use a "drop in" such as "hotshot". Cash's appliance in Raleigh has it, but again you need your CFC's license. It isnt too tough to find someone with it if your friend doesnt.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thanks for all the advice guys, but on another note, hey Mike, on the truck the back little sliding window is leaking when it rains, how do we fix that? Had it replaced about 4 years ago and about a year ago it started leaking into the backseat everytime it rains:confused:

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

RoRO can attest to it leaking! :lol:

Kaci, I will pm you the number of a friend of ours who is a mechanic. He lives about a mile from you. He is very fair and honest.

18. mudbug

mudbug Guest

shop

lewis tire can help. fair pricing and great service. 9193599050 in clayton.

19. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

Quick question... What kinda truck? Tell me the year and make and I can tell you what to expect. Sometimes it's the third taillight that leaks.

Mike

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

2000 Dodge Ram extended cab 4-wheel drive