Thoughts on new WalMart shopping center?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ccampbell, Jun 18, 2009.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Having lived in this Cleveland Area for 18 years (near the DR Wells store), it is so Awesome to finally be able to shop down the road from my house. We need these services close to home. Traffic is not a problem for me as I am a true Long Islander for 30 years before moving to the pastures and I am used to it. So bring it on, maybe a Best Buy or Kohls so we don't have to go to White Oak. Oh and a Chick-fil-A!

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I think having the Walmart in 40/42 will be very convenient and great for many people. It may create a traffic tie up in the beginning but do think that will subside w/ time once people get used to how it will be. I love how big it is going to be and should have a decent selection. I've never had a problem at hte one in Clayton. Just think the help could do their job a little better. Talking to each other when you have a customer standing in front of you is just not polite imo.

I do wish we'd get more of a variety of stores though. Chick Filet or a little more of what White Oak has would definitely have been a little better than the typical dollar store and chinese restaurant. I have heard a lot of complaining on here about the new Walmart coming. Of course, there was much complaining if I recall when the bypass was coming through. I think change to scenary sometimes gets people thinking of the amount of growth in the area. And sometimes, that in itself is just an unpleasant thought. We moved here years ago b/c of the very slow growth. You know, when there was basically nothing up at 4042 but a gas station or two. Now, it just seems a bit overwhelming. Alas, the price of convenience--LOL. Plus, having the new Walmart will have employment opportunities for my kids as they get older, I'm sure. So I shouldn't complain if it gets them out of the house and working--LOL. I for one am looking forward to the convenience of going around the corner when my kids have forgotten something for school or I need just one more ingredient for a dish.

Stephanie--mom to 7

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

What is this, exactly?

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Dang, I can't see the pic that is cracking everyone up.

Also, I would love to see an AC Moore and a Kirkland's Home or a Home Goods store in the area.

5. Roadman

Roadman Member

All of the above stores require certain economic demographics within in a certain radius of the site in order locate a store there. Prior to the economic downturn, the Cleveland area was getting close (Harris Teeter and Sheetz were possible tenants on a site in the Cleveland area) - more is coming in the 40/42 area - it will take a couple of years to see it, but it is in the planning stages.

6. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

If I send you a link could you see it?

7. michelle

Hush your mouth, Harvey! Nothing adds quality to my life like the hair gel I get at Sally's. Good stuff, man.

8. michelle

I think so but if you tell me we are getting any of those stores I'm gonna need to borrow some of Hat's clorox!

Never mind. I got all excited thinking you knew something that I didn't but you're gonna send me a link to the pic. I was all happy for a minute. I really want a Kirkland's out here!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I think it would be beneficial for people who shop at Clayton's Walmart. When 40/42 Walmart opens this year, I believe we will be seeing less traffic and less sold-out products in Clayton Walmart. I think it's good for people who live near the new Walmart instead of having to drive all the way to Clayton and other side of Garner. The biggest positive thing about the new store is there are new jobs created for those who need it, especially when economic is bad.

The negative side is that there are too many "repeative" stores next to Walmart, for example, Dollars Tree, China Buffet, shoe stores, etc. We need something different, instead of copycat like Clayton Walmart.

I don't think the traffic wouldn't be that bad, since they already set up more lanes and lights for traffic control.

10. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

The traffic that travels along 42 in the afternoons after 4 pm in terrible. This shopping center will only compound this traffic. Highway 42 is not large enough as it is, now we add a major shopping plaza. 42 East of the shopping center will need to be widened and have its traffic issues addressed. I am a very local resident but I will not stop there after work so as to avoid the traffic congestion.

THe stores that have been selected are similar to all other Walmarts in the area. My concern is that it will become another hang out for teens. Cook out across the street is terrible. about this. No adult wishes to go there after a certain time at night because of the disgraceful element that is present every night in the summer, especially on weekends. I recently went to the Smithfield Walmart at an odd hour of the night and was subjected to teens with saggy pants and visable boxers congregating outside. THere was so many of them I almost did not enter the store. Being a female I was concerned for my safety. This Walmart could ruin our area's reputation as being rural and safe, if it allows the parking lot, the store, and the surrounding area to be a "teen hangout." If will effectively chase away real business and real money for a few cold soda sales. Security is a must.

I have heard rumors of a Red Lobster or another higher end restaurant going in there. That would be nice. THere isn't much in the way of fancier food place unless you go to Raleigh. The same old fast food is getting old.

A Sally's would be handy. You can keep Kohls and Target. A Kroger would be terrific but even better would be a Whole Foods. Since this seems to be more and more a yuppie area Whole Foods would fit in.

peppercorns@4042.com

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

12. michelle

Nope. Stupid big brother! I'm 41 years old, I know what I should and shouldn't be looking at. I don't need some stupid IT dept. to decide for me.

:boxing:

13. jessiejames2

jessiejames2 Member

How about a book store?

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a Hibachi Express place in there like the one in Cary Crossroads near JoAnn's Fabrics and World Market. They are great!

15. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

It didn't matter to me if it was Wal-Mart or Target, I just wanted something. That 20-30 minute drive to Garner, Clayton, or Fuquay became painful last summer. We do combine trips, but sometimes you do have to drive all the way home to pick up the kidlets and then drive all the way back to Target. Or the last minute "mom, the teacher forgot to send home a note, but I need this for tomorrow."

Since we are making our wish list, I'd like:
    Justice for Girls
    Sweet Tomatoes
    Macaroni Grill
    Olive Garden
    Movie Theater
    Disney World
    Some sort of man made lake with a dock circling the whole thing with little shops and restaurants where everyone gathers each Dec. 1 for the lighting of the floating Christmas tree.

Has anyone heard anything about Target being the anchor for that shopping center at Cornwalis/42?

16. H3xKing

H3xKing Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!

I would gladly drive to white oak for target, if I didn't have to drive to Raleigh or Cary for a book store.

17. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Maybe a movie theater, and a miniature golf course. Silly I know; we don't know where any are around here! And a Starbucks, to compete with the new "dunkaccinos" they now have at the Wilco Hess! :jester:

18. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Wal-Mart, have you seen the remodeling at the Clayton Wal-Mart? Anyone know what the room they built by the checkout lines at the front of the store will be used for?
    And for the original post and question. I would like to see a good cafeteria in the area. A Brigs would be great too!

19. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I was wondering that myself when I was in there today; maybe a temporary area for selling fireworks for the upcoming 4th of July? Also, I was going to stop by the pharmacy to get a prescription filled, but it was all boarded up. Did it move to somewhere else within the store, like I noticed the hair salon did? I wasn't everywhere in the store, but I noticed the widening of aisles and moving around of the clothing sections.This new Walmart will have a pharmacy, I am hoping.

20. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I asked a cashier about the new little room being built up front by checkout and it is the temporary pharmacy. The pharmacy will be housed there until the renovations are complete which will take about 3 months to complete. They had to build something that can be secured properly away from the public.