Capriccio 42-Now Open

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4042man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

My review

Just finished eating there tonight and the place was pretty hopping with a full parking lot!! Wait staff was very nice and friendly, though pretty inexperienced-hopefully this will get better with time. They started us off with a basket of hot rolls and yummy dipping oil. Food came out quickly and hot. Hubby ordered the ribeye steak sandwich that had cheddar and it was very good-$8.90. I ordered the vodka sauce angel hair pasta with shrimp($13.90) and it was delicious and had to have had a dozen shrimp!! Our order with drinks/tax was $26 plus tip. Two could easily go in for $20 or less if you watch what you order.

Only complaints I had is that I wish the pastas came with at least a roll or small side salad. The waitress didn't try to upsale anything(which I guess could be a positive:lol: ) She admitted she was still learning the menu herself though. The other complaint is that we asked for non-smoking and were sat on the side of the restuarant with the bar. Now luckily no one was smoking when we were there, but if someone specifically asks for non-smoking I'd put them on the side of the restaurant away from smoking, not 2 feet from it in a completely open room. But I will know next time. I'm not knocking folks who go in there to smoke, I'm just highly sensitive to it and have to avoid restaurants that don't have a completely different section.

Overall it's something different with a nice, yet casual and relaxing atmosphere. The food was excellent and as long as waitstaff is friendly I can deal with kinks here and there! The menus have more than enough choices and there are serveral things I want to go back to try out, so we will be returning!:hurray:

For those who comment about it being "pricey", I can understand 3-4 courses and drinks aren't your idea of money well spent. But I hope you aren't the ones who also complain about how nothing different comes to this area other than walmarts and the typical chinese/fast food joints that come along with them. This area will never get the carabba's, red lobster, red robin, panera/bear rock, chik fil-a, olive garden, etc. with populations that are afraid to spend the occasional $50+ for a nice night out. Just something to think about...

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had hot rolls. Did you ask for more with your meal?

3. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Yeah I asked the waitress if the pasta dishes came with a roll or garlic bread and she said no. The basket they brought out only had 2 rolls, one for me and one for hubby pre-meal. I just expected her to offer to bring another basket out but she didn't-she took it away! No biggie as I had plenty to eat, I just wanted something to sop up all the vodka sauce:lol:

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Verdict is in: Oh H*** Yeah!!

C6 and I went in for dinner tonight at 7. Wasn’t real busy on the Asian side. Server was Nick. Nick and the young lady referred to in the pp were attentive, helping each other out as needed. Management came by often to make sure everything was good.

We ordered garlic dough as appetizer, I had entre’ Tempura, Tuna tataki. C6 had sesame chicken salad and crunch roll.

Garlic Dough: OMG Good. Local Italian places, especially the one nearby should be worried. Scored 9/10
    Tuna Tataki: Best I’ve ever had! 10/10
    Tempura: Best ever! 10/10 and generous quantity
    C6 rating for Sesame Chicken Salad: 8/10
    C6 rating for Crunch roll 6/10 (I’d have given it an 8)

Service: Young, engaging, friendly.
    Management: Hands on, and customer oriented.

Verdict: Oh Heck Yeah!!!

Pluses: close, convenient, great service, great food, non smoking dining
    Minuses: None

Prediction: return visit w/in 5 days. I foresee a 4042 get together here.

5. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Note to self: stop reading this thread...you are getting way too hungry!!!

6. seabee

seabee Guest

go... still time.. :cheers:

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

went back last night and once again the service was great and friendly - tried the pizza and i loved it:hurray: Now i know everyone has their likes and dislikes of how pizza is done but for me i thought it was really good - a good size pizza big enough for DH and i with some left over and it costs about $11 which i thought was a great price. Some guy walked in off the street begging for money and the owner was quick to intercept him, even watched customers leaving to make sure they were not harrassed:hurray: i really believe they are going to be a welcome addition to our little neck of the woods:cheers:

8. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

Well i say a lot we had California rolls, cucumber rolls, 2 pieces of cooked shrimp, 2 pieces of salmon, and 3 white tail tuna. they gave us 6 each of the rolls. so i shouldnt have said alot was a lot to me :oops:

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Yep...that would have been just enough to wet Craigs appetite! :jester:

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Yes it would....and am now rethinking steak night.....but it's hard to pass up the Guiness special tonight as well and I can drink Guiness like I eat sushi.

11. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

DH and I went to Capriccio's today for lunch and WOW it was great!!!
    I got the Pizza all you can eat lunch special and he got a couple of sushi rolls. That was some of the best pizza I have had in a long time and the sushi rolls were huge and delicious! We will definately be going back! The waitress was super nice and the service was quick. I am so glad we have another good restaurant in the Cleveland School area!

12. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention this place. The chef/owner is the old owner of Mythos Bistro in Cary. He was one of my customers that was looking at Chops. The wild thing, here, is he vacated the place in Cary owing many people, including my company, a good amount of money. He took fixtures (for example, the light fixtures on the outide of The Peppermill), ovens, tables, etc after the landlord evicted him in Cary. How this guy stays in business is beyond me.

13. blusdrmr

Well, fellow 40/42ers...I am glad you like the place. Like I said, this is one my customers and they were looking for another place to open and I suggested that they come here. I agree that the Italian/Japanese combo is a bit odd but Ra (Rah) and Tei (Tie) are from Thailand and they do things a bit different than some I work with. They both run country club restaurants in Southern Pines (Ra runs Whispering Woods and Tei runs Table On The Green at the Midland Country Club) so if you are ever down there, stop in, they are good folks. Also, when you are their place, here, ask to speak with them if you have any suggestions, compliments or complaints. They want to make this place work and would appreciate any input any one of us, here, can give them.

Glad you all enjoy the place! I will pass the word along to Ra when I see him on Monday.

14. Panther Crazy

Panther Crazy Well-Known Member

You've got to go! Absolute kitsch at it's finest! The tables look like they came out of an old bowling alley, there's waaayyy overpriced crappy beatnik art hung everywhere (and it's for sale), too loud music coming from some 12 watt pirate station down the street, and leftist anti-establishment posters and stickers everywhere!

As for the food, it is out of this world. All of the vegetables are bought fresh every morning and make a huge difference in the taste of the pizza and salads. They also have beer on tap and the best damn rootbeer on tap I've ever had! One time we were there and I met the owner (I could tell he was the owner because he was the only person in the joint besides us who looked like they'd bathed in the three weeks :lol: ) who told us that every night they drive over to a homeless shelter and drop off all the vegatables that were purchased that morning and not used. A very nice touch!

Anyway, take some cash and a wise-*** attitude over there and eat the pizza. You won't be sorry!

15. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I wish this new place had a menu online. The reviews are making me consider stopping in, but I'd like to know more of the Italian selection. Somebody want to smuggle one out and scan it? :mrgreen:

16. blusdrmr

Again, make the suggestion to them. I will see him either today or tomorrow and tell him that people are asking for this.

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Ra? The sun god?

18. blusdrmr

I think that is spelled Rah (as his is pronounced). But, I seriously don't think it't the same guy. :lol:

19. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

We just had the all you can eat pizza for $5, but we did not rank the pizza as our favorite. We will go back to try other things.....soon. :hurray:

20. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Is that a everyday special or just special days? I assume this is a lunch special.