Thoughts on new WalMart shopping center?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ccampbell, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Tamo245

Tamo245 Active Member

I know a lot of people from here who hate to see the area growing, but that was what was going to happen once I-40 cut through the area. Both side of my family have been in this area for at least 150+ years so I am definitely "from here" and have somewhat mixed feelings on this subject. On the one hand I hate to see the area changing, but on the other love the convenience.

My honest feelings regarding Walmart? I am looking forward to it opening. I prefer Target, but will settle for a local Walmart. There are often things I need that just can't be found at the dollar general or a grocery store. I very much like being able to be at Wallyworld in just a few minutes. Regarding the traffic? I think it will make just a little difference, not really that noticeable. That whole exit is screwed up and exit 319 is following in the footsteps. WHAT THE HECK WHERE THEY THINKING WITH THE NEW BOJANGLES??? People coming off the interstate go right past it (of course!) then turn around right smack dab in the middle of Hwy 210!!! Now THAT is a traffic nightmare! And go to Papa's pizza on the other side of 40 and try to turn left to get back onto the interstate? ummm.... right!

OK, back to WalMart? Yes, I will be glad to see it open and will shop there regularly I am sure.

I would LOVE to see a large bookstore open anywhere in the area!

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

Thanks for all your help! Look for the article (with many of your comments) in tomorrow's edition of The Herald, and in the Garner-Clayton Record next week. We're online at www.theherald-nc.com for all you Web-savvy folk.

Colin

3. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

AWESOME! Will you use our screen names? :lol:

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

5. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

Heard the Walmart is getting a McDonalds in it instead of a Subway..

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Whoop De Du, gonna party when that happens! We may need to add a third turn lane off of 42. :mrgreen:

7. stella

stella Guest

McDonald's? Really? Like we need another McDiarreah. :jester:

8. My daughter told me today that the Subway at Wal-mart is her favorite place to eat in the whole world. So funny! That won't last long.

9. doggy

doggy Well-Known Member

No you aren't the only one here who welcomes the new Wal Mart!!! The prices are cheaper and I do all my food shopping there except produce and meats, which I do at Lowe's or Harris Teeter. The new Wal Mart in Garner may be new but it's still got that weird crowd that shops there. I usually go to Clayton but they are remodeling and the place is a mess. I'll be glad when I can just drive 5 miles to the new place.

Traffic though - I bet it's a mess. There is NO way that area can handle the traffic it has, let alone more. Additional lanes or not, it'll be a nightmare.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the article? i went to the link but couldn't find anything on it about Walmart coming:confused:

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I missed this. You all know how I feel about WalmartS.

*I* for one would like to see some nice hardwood trees, some wildflowers, old barns, fence posts, pastures...

Oh yeah, we're slowly bulldozing all of that stuff for places like WalmartS.

12. seabee

seabee Guest

It'll be a sad day when the land on Cornwallis from bridge to 42 is developed... hopefully it will be a long time from now.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

ICAM.

14. alen

alen Well-Known Member

Amen.....

15. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree:

16. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

when the wally world in apex is done i will pass 3 of them on my way home.....a 30 min drive!

isnt it the goal to be every 10 miles?

17. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

18. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

I totally agree, the fact that they were not forced to widen NC 42 all the way to Cornwallis Road, or even the Clayton Bypass is a travesty. But it seems like we are getting treated like this a lot lately, first they opened the bypass w/o thinking about what it would do to an already congested I-40( should have made I-40 at least 6 if not 8 lanes), and now the shenanigans with Wal-mart.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably shop there, but I will not travel that section of road unless that is where I am going.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I imagine that it's only a matter of time before 42 gets four-laned to Clayton and US 70 Business. The shopping center, new Clayton hospital, more development along 42...its bound to be on the "to do" list. However, its a Catch-22 situation. A wider highway will only event more growth and you can better believe Clayton will want to encroach as far out as possible on the 40/42 area.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol: Ladies and gents, we have hit the 4042 jackpot! Rude and a snob! Woo Hoo! :popcorn:

<------off to buy a lottery ticket!! I feel lucky! And suddenly a bit like poor trash. :jester: