Capriccio 42-Now Open

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4042man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

I think it is just for lunch, but I'm not sure if it is everyday or just certain days.

2. What's the best sushi to order? We don't much about sushi in this house. Once time we went to Kanki and ordered something and it was nasty. It's only because we didn't know what we were doing or ordering!

3. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

When I had sushi for the first time, California rolls were suggested as a good "starter" sushi.

4. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what kind of seafood do you like? go with that. any kind of "crunchy" or "tempura" roll is good for starters. It'll have fried shrimp, crab or lobster in it and it's outta this world. Don't be embarassed to ask. Most sushi menus tell you exactly what's rolled up. My kids even like it now.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not too much that I haven't tried, or that I don't like sushi wise with the exception that I'm not a big fan of anything that's actually cooked. Was really suprised the first time I tried squid nigiri, and while it's not something I order every time I do order it every few trips.

Craig

7. CraigSPL

I'd second the California roll as a starter roll, though you might actually be better off going with some type of sampler if you are going to order nigiri or sashimi.

Craig

8. KellBell

I am not a fan of the california roll myself....not at all.

9. CraigSPL

What don't you like about it? the crab? the cucumber? the avocado? the rolled in fish roe?

It's really not that bad, though you could go with what they call a Blue Island at Kobe (they all have the same roll just different names) which is crab and avocado rolled inside thinly sliced cucumber meat.

10. KellBell

I love the ones rolled in cucumber! yum. most of the time at most places california rolls are all avocado and nothing else. just kinda plain.

11. CraigSPL

All the ones I've had are seaweed wrap, with rice and fish roe on the outside with crab sticks, thinly sliced cucumber strips, and sliced avocado rolled up. Kinda fresh and tasty and not real heavy on the stomach either. Though I have seen some use seasame seeds on the outside, most use fish roe.

12. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Lowes Foods CA rolls have sesame seeds.....now I'm having a hankerin' for them.

13. CraigSPL

I've had them both ways and prefer the fish roe

14. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

Seaweed salad is GREAT also cooked shrimp, yellow tail, salmon. I DO NOT like the octopus. TOO tough IMO. I also think that the mackerel is too fishy for me. I like the cucumber rolls! They are SOOOOO good, If you so ask Jon (the sushi chief) to let you sample something he will. We have been 6 times now to eat sushi and loved it everytime!!!!

15. CraigSPL

Not a fan of seaweed salad, though the wife loves the squid salad at Kobe. As to the rest of it, with the exception of the fact that the octopus, shrimp, eel, and crab are cooked, if it's cooked I'm not eating it. Gotta be raw for me.

Still haven't made it up there yet to give it a try.....maybe this weekend.

16. CraigSPL

Well just got back from dinner with the wife there. Not crowded at all, lots of attentive staff. Staff could be a little better organized as for how long food prep. takes so that meals arrive together, but that is part of the learning curve.

As to the food, wife had chicken artichoke pasta with a white sauce and a water. Said it was very good and the plate was FULL. Myself, I had 2 beers, the spicy roll combo with miso soup, and John the sushi chef tossed together a cucumber, seaweed, crab salad with a rice wine vinegar dressing for us to sample as well.

Salad was good, light, and refreshing. Miso soup was some of the best I have had anywhere locally. The spicy roll combo consists of a spicy california roll, spicy tuna roll, and spicy yellow tail roll. The spicy california roll was pretty good with a mild heat to it. The spicy yellow tail has a mixture of spicy mayo and some hot orangish red sauce mixture that was medium in temp. And the tuna roll had nothing but LOTS of hot orangish red sauce and was by far the hottest of the three rolls. Each roll came as 6 pieces for a total of 18 pieces. With the fact that I have munched most of the afternoon on snacks such as spicy pork rinds, nabs, several Mt Dews, and a handful of packs of Smarties I wasn't totally hungry, so with the soup and salad, I managed to suck down 2/3rds of the sushi I had ordered, while the wife proceeded to make handy work of her chicken artichoke pasta. Had just enough sushi left over to make a to go lunch for tomorrow, so I decided to add a couple pieces of squid nigiri to the to go box. All total the tab for the night with my sushi, two beers, the wife's chicken artichoke pasta, and her water was $40 which wasn't too bad at all, and I'll be back again and on the lookout for sea urchin.

All in all....pretty Good Eats at a decent price.

Craig

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  17. Wow - you remember lots of details!

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

he's good like that! :mrgreen:

19. seabee

seabee Guest

how the heck do you know that???? :jester:

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I could say, thats for me to know and you to find out. But, that might be scary. :jester: