Unemployment benefits

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Jul 3, 2009.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about a program that is allowing employers to 'lay-off' workers one week per month and the employee can get unemployment benefits for that week? This is supposed to help businesses retain employees and they get to keep their benefits. :confused:

2. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

Yes, actually my husband currently has that at his company. It's been one week a month but July is 2 weeks...PM me if you need more info.

3. bandmom

Well, I guess the point is moot now as dh just called and said he'd been laid off! :shock: I guess they were going to try and keep folks, but there's just not any business. Very sad, he's some of the last ones they'd try to keep, been there going on 23 yrs. :cry:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

gosh, I hate to hear that bandmom!!

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Oh no, how awful for y'all, so sorry:grouphug:

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Employees cannot count on employers anymore. Used to be that an employee could count on retiring from their job if they performed well. Not in today's world.

All will be okay. Lean on us because you will certainly need people to vent on instead of hubby. Remember that he will go through a range of emotions.

Sherry

7. bandmom

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sherry - yes, thats what worries me - he can get slightly depressed pretty easily (he's more pessimistic than optimistic about things) But I have FAITH that something positive will come from this. Honestly, he's been very unhappy with his work for the last several yrs - so maybe this will be some sort of blessing in disguise? Problem is, there's lots of other things he'd like to do, but won't pay as well.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Understand about the pay and sometimes being happy at work makes up for the money. But, I suggest he think about changing careers. Right now many classes are being paid for if one is unemployed. He might be able to find a job where he is happy, makes good money but he needs to take online classes or go to classes locally to get certified or whatever.

Just a suggestion.

Sherry

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I feel for you!!:grouphug:
    My husband has been laid off since February.
    Hopefully things will pick up soon or at least I hope so!
    My husband is similar to yours,that is more on the pessimistic side and it's always up to me to lift him back up again.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I met him. He seems like a good honest hard working guy. I'm sure he'll get another job. Hopefully the right opportunity will come soon.

11. AnnetteL

Hey,how are you?
    Yes, he is very hard working,thanks for that:)

12. AnnetteL

Was he working for Nortel by any chance? I had heard that they were getting ready to let a lot of their people go!?

13. bandmom

Nope.

14. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

I don't know you, but I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you.

15. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

bandmom,
    Sorry to hear about that...

16. Dad2Brandon

Dad2Brandon Guest

is that a rumor?
    what did you hear exactly?
    Did you hear when this is spposed to happen?

Family members work there. they haven't mention it

17. AnnetteL

18. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

I'm sorry bandmom. Just remember when one door closes, another opens. :grouphug:

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Bandmom ~ :grouphug:

20. bandmom

Thanks everyone, and to all those who are going through this (Annette) we're thinking about you too! :grouphug: