A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Hashbrowns, Bacon, Eggs & Coffee for breakfast. MMMMM -M.

I'll need to run 90 miles today. :lol:

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey anyone know how to make the old school fried yellow squash and onions? i was never a fan but DH really loves them and wants me to make them - personally i cannot stand the smell - my Mom used to make them when i was a kid. i love some zuchinni and will use the yellow squash in stir fry but never fried it.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I do it weekly.

I dice up an onion, about 4 slices of bacon and let them cook on medium, in a frying pan, while I wash and dice up squash.

Once grease and onions start smelling good, dice up your squash and put in the pan with....cover and simmer on medium (while the squash steams) for about 30-45 minutes. Folding (not stirring) all the stuff together often. I call it 'Squish' cuz I cook it till it's squishy. LOVE IT!

my grandma made it this way when I was a kid. its my favorite way to eat it.

4. KellBell

it's more sauteed than fried. some people call it fried squash. I don't do the batter and deep fried squash....that does stink. LOL.

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thanks, that sounds exactly like my Mom cooked it - gonna make my DH a happy man tonite:hurray: Do you dice the squash with the skin on and how small do you dice them?

6. KellBell

I do dice them with the skin (and you can cook zucc's this way too) after washed good, of course. I slice them about the thickness of two life savers stacked on top of each other....LOL.....I can't think of anything else that thick. Because it becomes 'squish', I dice them a bit thick, about 1/4 inch thick....

and right before I consider them done and ready, I fire the pan up on high, and get a little blackening on it....so freakin' yummy.

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

8. bandmom

thats how I do mine too - but I don't do the bacon/grease - I just use olive oil, garlic, S & P. We love it - yummy!! :hurray:

9. bandmom

where'd you get that? I KNOW you didn't cook it - cause I didn't hear the fire truck! :mrgreen:

10. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

flying June bugs

those suckers are annoying. How long do they stick around??

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I don't really dice as much as I slice mine, and I don't cover, nor do I use bacon. But the rest is spot on with how I make my "fried" squash and onions.

Craig

12. KellBell

try it with a couple a diced up peices of bacon my friend.....it's the bomb. I slice the squash like say, pickle chips....pretty thick.

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

just got back from a wonderful lunch now ready for my nap!

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Tangy, thinking of you.

Koo, I am SO going to enter that contest!

HG, Dang girl, you didn't share?

Hmm, fried squash and onions....

15. KellBell

nice? all you got to say is nice.....:p

my lunch was fabulous and I just adore the person that graced me with her presence.8)

16. sassymom

ha I said wonderful!!!

waiting for my pm with all those tips :)

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol:

I can do breakfast items. :mrgreen:

It's hotter than 40 hells outside <ack>

18. KellBell

you said the lunch was "wonderful" not the company.:p

I sent the requested information to your email at work.

19. sassymom

well food is food, the company makes all the difference, didnt you know that

:cheers:

20. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

:banghead: that's how I feel right now :banghead:

* this has nothing to do with any post on this thread or anywhere on this board. . .it's just one of those days. . .weeks. . .and since this is supposed to be a place for random thoughts. . .