Thoughts on new WalMart shopping center?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ccampbell, Jun 18, 2009.

1. cosmicvagabond

cosmicvagabond Well-Known Member

I think that you either love or hate wal-mart. I used to really like the convenience, low prices, and selection. My wife and I shopped at WM for years. But, after the effects of local and our national economy has come to light, I really think that they are not something that I want to support with my retail dollar. I am not a skilled debater and I'm sure that I did not put forth a great case for not shopping at WM, but if the average Joe or Jane were to avail themselves of the "dark side" of wm's retail model, I think that many here might be surprised. I am not some liberal who likes to take on social causes and feels like I need to always be campaigning against something, just a person who decided to no longer ignore a situation that I could not justify.

Yeah, WM means jobs. That's a good thing. But when it means that you don't earn enough to live above the poverty line, it's not much of a job.

If you want to become more informed, look here:http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/#wages

2. cosmicvagabond

3. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a single mom making min wage and only 29 hours per week qualify for day care assistance and other aid? And since Wal-Mart isn't open yet, does this single mom already have a job? Why is she leaving it for Wal-Mart? If she is only qualified for min wage at Wally World, then she is only qualified for min wage at Food Lion.

As far as retail suffering, we are talking about the 4042 area. There was so little retail to start with that, in this case, it is the exception. You are trying to make a blanket statement that doesn't pertain to this area.

4. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Then you should apply elsewhere.

5. seabee

seabee Guest

6. cosmicvagabond

LOL, Simple, huh?

7. cosmicvagabond

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

or either grateful you have any job at all right now

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You do realize this discussion is about the Highway 42 and Interstate 40 intersection?

Basically from its beginning it was just a series of retail establishments which a residential community developed around.

10. seabee

seabee Guest

It was slim pickens here 15 yrs ago.... not much at all.....

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know, but there are probably over 100 retailers at that intersection right now and over 80% of them small retailers.

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

13. seabee

seabee Guest

true,true...

14. cosmicvagabond

The area that I just moved from, eastern ky, was a traditional little small city who got it's first WM about ten years ago or so. I saw much of what I'm describing happen in my community. a lot of small retailers, who made a small but respectable living providing a small range of products, had their doors slammed by WM. Were all busy and don't have the time to go to 4 or 5 places to get our shopping done, so WM offers it all. Get your oil changed, eyes checked, prescriptions refilled, do the banking, get Johny a shirt, get the groceries, shop for a TV.... convenience, for sure. But after awhile we noticed that prices were not so great anymore. WM, when they first opened in my old hometown, had fab prices and a selection not to be beat. But after they had gotten established prices did creep up, until it was to the point that you had to compare prices. Somethings you could get a deal on, some things cost less at kroger. I'm not saying that will happen here, but I bet it will. I guess my point to my rant is that I feel that there is more important issues to the whole cheap prices thing. That's all. If working for WM is a good job to you, God bless. But minimum jobs are called minimum for a reason. It's probably the least someone can pay you and you not starve. Then there's the whole train of thought about minimum wage jobs being a way to pay people just enough to keep them from revolting and still maximize profits.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. I hope that I didn't offend, my intention was to merely provide another facet for discussion.:cheers:

15. XLSweetTea

XLSweetTea Well-Known Member

prices

i did a comparison pricing between target and walmart on stuff i regularly buy. I was quite suprised to find Target was actually cheaper. That was about a year ago. Anyone else have that experience or do i just buy weird stuff (like those chinese foot cleansing pads? ever try them, they actually work, take the stink right out, turns it black and solid as a rock on the pad, incredible!)

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Walmart has the same spell over consumers similar to McDonalds. You can go just about any time of day and its busy and you have to wonder why that is when there are other choices out there. Personally, I'd rather shop Target. I wish there was a Super Target closer than Raleigh. I still don't understand why Target at White Oak wasn't built to be a Super Target since the Super K was on the other side of Garner and the Wal-Mart in Clayton was a few miles down the road. It seems Target lost the opportunity to win some grocery business. Plus, they already had the smaller Target on Timber Drive.

17. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Yes, there may be 100 retailers at 4042. However, only around five have products that compete with Wal-Mart. I have yet to find a small retailer anywhere at 4042 that sells towels, laundry baskets, Gain, and Cover Girl.

18. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

o_O could you provide examples of local retail markets walmart isn't in? I'm interested to know... its generally their business to be in everyone's business.

19. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Benson?

20. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I meant markets as in what they sell, not markets as in where they sell.