Proud Mama Moment-and call to help maybe?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Okay, so the teenager went off to youth camp last week and came back Friday full of all these new and interesting revelations about her life.

One of them was about a project she'd found out about called Speed the Light.

http://youth.ag.org/stl/about.cfm

In a nutshell, it's an organization that purchases cars for missionaires.

Mini Me has set a goal for herself by the first week of November, to raise $1000 to donate to STL. She's decided that she'll have a yard sale, a bake sale, and offer herself out to wash cars, pet walk, etc to raise the money.

Now, regardless of anyone's religious affilation, I have to say that to have a 13 year old who is excited about doing something for someone other than herself makes me really proud. She's a good kid, and has always looked for ways to help those who she thought needed it more than she did. She helped organize and execute "Kool-aid for Katrina" which was a local effort right here at 4042 to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina that many of you participated in. She won Volunteer Of the Year at CES her last year there for her charity work at Basic Needs Ministry. She's just an awesome kid.

So, I tell you all this to A) Brag, and B) ask for your help.

If you have any items that you'd like to donate to her yard sale, we'll be glad to pick them up. If you have any odd jobs (car washing, pet walking, pet sitting) that she could help you out with, please PM me. Or if you're willing to simply make a donation, that's great too.

Thanks!

2. seabee

seabee Guest

Kudos... congrats Mom for a job well done.... Be proud... :grouphug:

3. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Your little apple hasn't fallen very far from the tree. She's alot like her mama! She's an awesome kiddo! I'll see what I can round up to help out. :)

4. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Very true!

I have some stuff in my garage left over from my last yard sale. We were gonna have another one but I'd much rather donate it to her. I'm not a big fan of getting up early in the morning and standing in the heat to make $.

6. JenniferK

And we'll be glad to take it! Just let me know when you want me to come get it!

7. michelle

Will do! I have stuff from 2 other people in there too. Let me get in touch with them and see if they want to donate their stuff.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I am having a yard sale this weekend and have TONS of stuff! I will call you up afterward and let you have what's left!

Btw...I'm proud of her!!! She's come a long way from when she used to be DH's "girlfriend" back when you were the "barefoot lady". LOL

9. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

I have some stuff left after our move I'll be happy to donate to you! I'll have some more this week as I unpack and find stuff I don't really need. I know, I know, you're supposed to get rid of stuff before you move. I did it backwards. :lol: I'll let you know when I'm done and I can meet you at my old house if you want.

10. JenniferK

PG....the barefoot lady....lol....I hadn't heard that in forever....lol

PG and Brea, thank you both SOOOO much! Call me and we will come take your junk! She is going to be super excited, she spent a big part of the day yesterday cleaning out her room trying to find stuff to sell and was a little disappointed last night when she realized she didn't have much to sell, lol.

We also sent an email to the pastor asking him if he'd be willing to pick a Sunday, and then donate a quarter for every time he says God, Jesus or Amen, lol. It was an idea we found on the fundraising section of the website, cool huh?

11. michelle

Jenn, I left a message for the other people to ask if they wanted to donate their stuff. I haven't heard back yet.

You can come get my stuff whenever you'd like.

12. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

When is the yard sale planned for?

13. JenniferK

Y'all, my freakin garage is packed!

I swear, if we put one more thing in there, I think my husband may divorce me!

You guys have been super generous towards Mini Me's Fundraising yard sale!

Yard Sale will be on Saturday, Aug 15th. (provided Mother Nature cooperates).

I'll post location as we get closer to the date!

14. JenniferK

Bumpity bump!

Huge yard sale to benefit "Speed the Light", a youth driven missionary project. We have TONS of stuff! Household goods, clothes, toys, etc...

Please come support a local teen who is raising money to support missionairies!

Lancaster Place, off South Shiloh Rd, off Cleveland School road, near Chops resturant. Follow the neon pink signs!

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Want my DH? :lol:

16. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

17. JenniferK

You guys are great! Thanks to your "left-over yard sale" donations.....DD made $254 on Saturday!!!

She was so excited! She said she never thought she'd be able to pull off that much money from a yard sale.

So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

FYI- all of her left overs went to Basic Needs Ministry just in case you're wondering. We like to support Ron and Sandy because they do SO much for this community!

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

19. michelle

That's GREAT! Kudos to your daughter and you! :hurray:

20. JenniferK

Just wanted to update you all...

First, Thank you cards should go out in the next two weeks.

Secondly, my DD is leaving today to go to youth conference, she is taking with her, a check to donate for Speed The Light for...........

$2376.00

Thank you so much to EVERYONE who has donated to her cause. Her goal was $1500, and she'd said she'd be happy with $1000. So to take $2376 with her, is amazing. This was God's work.....

And I am SO proud of my baby girl.....