Capriccio 42-Now Open

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4042man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Lunch today. Waiter (Brandon) let us know about the excess pizza charge before we ordered. We ordered and after a short wait, got our pizza. We tried both old world and regular.

Service was good and attentive.

Pizza was outstanding. We enjoyed everything we ate. Pizza size was right sized for two adults.

We ate on the sushi side, in the "sun room".

Price was reasonable for the pizza we ate, drinks, and tip.

Our only concern is the low sanitation rating (in our book) with a 90.5 Although it's an "A" rating, it's a low "A" and we believe the place should address the issues and get reinspected. I glanced at the WRAL restaurant rating site to see why they scored what they did, but to no avail.

For a new place, I expected a higher rating.

2. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

I saw that too and forgot to mention it. I guess it didn't matter much since we never got menus.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  3. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I tried this place tonight when CDH was too crowded. I will not be going back. I didn't like the overall look/feel of the place, but the real nail in the coffin was as I was sitting there with my son and looked over and saw the sanitation grade of 90.5 I kicked myself because I had then remembered reading about that on this thread. I decided it wasn't too bad because besides the floor needing to be swept and a stain on my table which looked like it was permanent nothing looked unsanitary. I swear it wasn't a minute later I opened my silverware to find the nastiest fork inside. I am not one of these people who brings a microscope to eat so I can check the utensils so I am not overreacting. The fork had visible food still on it. It was nasty. I ordered wings and they came out with the orange type sauce that you get on chicken in the chinese places. That tasted fine, but not what I expected plain "medium" wing sauce to taste like while i was on the "italian" side. I just didn't like anything about my experience. I'm bummed about this because it would be nice to have another CDH type place around, but this is not it. I was also scoping out the folks nearby who got a pizza and it was so thin and the bottom was burnt I thought they had to have ordered it that way (I hope they did. I didn't ask). I also didn't like the smell of fish, but chalked that up to what i have to deal with in a combo place like that and sucked it up. It at least covered up the smell from the smoke of the woman at the bar. Anyway, give it a shot. That's my experience. I won't be back. Some seem to like it so I think it will come down to trying it out and righting your own review.

P.S. Do all bartenders read books while behind the bar while people are sitting there? This one was.

4. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

If expecting my fork to be clean is high maintenance then yep, I'm very high maintenance. :lol:

5. bout2bmarried

bout2bmarried Active Member

so i am guessing that volley has never worked a restaurant. the grade kind of's depends when they come and inspect, ie if you are having a good day or bad day.If you have evered worked in the restaurant industry buisness you probrably would not eat out anyways

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Since when is clean silverware asking too much?

7. bout2bmarried

u can probably go 2 any retsurant and find dirty utensils if you look hard enough. and yes i have worked in one

8. bout2bmarried

oh yea from dishwasher 2 engineer hmmmmmm. gots 2 pay 4 education somway

9. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I worked at Baskin Robbins in high school. Does that count? All the little tester spoons I served up were squeaky clean......and disposable. :lol:

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I find them sometimes at my house, I throw them in the sink and not on the table for people to use. Blech.

11. seabee

seabee Guest

Thats so BS..... Geez I hope a restaurant doesn't rely on luck as far as sanitation grade is concerned... How bout they be on their game everyday.

To blame it on bad timing isn't a good answer...

12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

It is increasingly getting harder to find workers that give even the slightest crap, especially in the food industry. My guess is they have a dishwasher (person) that just jams all of the silverware in a big container and runs it through the machine.. Then, when dry, it is gathered up by waitstaff that is more concerned with getting out of that place than any customer around so they just wrap whatever they can get their hands on in a bundle so they can show their work to a manager and leave.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Considering that all restaurants get 2 points for attending a class, this could mean their real grade is 88.5. Unfortunately the grade has not been posted on the state records yet so we are unable to get the complete report. In any event no $5.00 pizza buffet or any specials are enough to tempt us to try this new restaurant. When management gets their act together and pays attention to sanitation issues we may give them some business.
    I wish the restaurant much success.

14. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I dont believe the 2 points for the Safe Serve count towards their sanitary rating.

15. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Listen to this "5 On Your Side" video and pay attention to David Crabtrees remarks at the end.
    http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/video/5703698/

16. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

You are correct.

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

That says that 'they' (channel 5) doesn't include them, but I'm not sure if the 'posted' points in the restaurant do or not?

18. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I've seen 101.5, I assume that includes the 2 points for the class.

19. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Any score over 100 would definitely include points for the class....any score under, you can't assume anything, they might not have taken the class. I don't think it's mandatory.

20. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

One thing about the owners, and I have said this before, they pay attention to the customers suggestions. They know that they staff has not been the best. Ra was complaining to me the other day about them being so green. If the sanitation grade was as low as it is, it was from the opening week. I do know that they had a problem with the pizza oven for the first few days of operation and something to do with that impacted the grade. I do remember Ra telling me something like that. Anyway.....give them a chance to get rolling for about three months before you throw them under the bus. It is going to take awhile to get the kinks out.