Marco's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by swinkles, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

Luv, Shar, and all...

Definitely miss Spiedies! My NC husband loves them and we both think if someone set up a Spiedie booth at the NC State Fair- they'd do VERY WELL! Seems like there's a bunch of us here! :)

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'm from NC, and the wife is from Boston, maybe she can tell me what this speidie thingie is.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

well then maybe you fill the rest of us in, thought about going all the way back through the thread to find out but no time for that:lol:

4. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Boy did I hijack this thread...sorry about that. Anyways, spiedies are indigenous to Binghamton, NY. I don't know that someone from outside of that area would be familiar with them. Copying from Wikipedia (since it's accurate): "Spiedie consists of cubes of chicken or pork, but it may also be made from lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer (sometimes for as long as two weeks under a controlled environment) in a special spiedie marinade, then grilled carefully on spits (if steel skewers are used, they are called "spiedie rods") over a charcoal pit. The freshly prepared cubes are served on soft Italian bread or a submarine roll, skewer and all, and sometimes drizzled with fresh marinade. The bread is used as an oven glove to grip the meat while the skewer is removed. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint." Now we used to get them at Lupos Char Pit in Endwell and had them make them as a sub with melted cheese, grilled green peppers and onions. Yummy! May have to make some this weekend now!

5. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Spiedies are pretty much only know in the Binghamton, NY area, they were developed locally. The are basically marinated meat, it is the sauce that makes them speidies, kind of like a garlic, olive oil, vinegar, spice mix (Lupo's Spiedie sauce, Salimada State Fair Spiedie sauce) You can marinate, pork, chicken, beef, venison, lamb...anytype of meat whatsoever. Normally eaten on Italian bread.

Hope that helps 8)

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Boston is a different breed of yankee, sorry no help here!

:jester:

7. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

My all time favorite Lupo's sauce is lemon/garlic - was just at Roma's in Cary about two weeks ago to pick up bread and they do have the sauce there as well. I've got my boss hooked on it and at Christmas time when we went up, she had me pick up 15 bottles of it from the Giant. Her parents are hooked on the sauce. I've even used it to marinate my Talapia in it. Spiedie fest was last weekend - rained from what I hear - too bad.

8. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

If anyone's interested, I saw the Salimada State Fair Spiedie sauce At Food Lion last night, too. Might be chaper than Lowes??? It was on the back wall where all the "fancy" sauces and such are. Only reason I noticed it was because of this thread. :)

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like we may need a 40/42 spiedifest! Note-I did NOT say speedo-fest!

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

or someone can fix some up and bring it to the get together to introduce all us southerners to it:cheers:

11. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

There is a Marcos PIzza going in by Walmart, is it the same restaurant??

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

That's a good thing to as you womenz couldn't control yourselves if I showed up in a speedo to serve you drinks.

:jester:

[​IMG]

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

YOU are going to have to clean my keyboard when you get home!!

:lol:

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

that was asked a few pages back - but I don't think there was ever an answer? :)

15. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Is that what you kids are callin' it, nowadays???!!! :)

16. tigerlily

tigerlily Well-Known Member

nirchis pizza hell ya noboody will ever compare. roma bread in endicott was good too

marco's and veneros is the closest marcos does need to get their crap together though

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Your loss! :mrgreen:

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

:mrgreen:

19. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]