First day of school...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Aug 25, 2009.

1. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I have a feeling mama didn't know. Either way, I don't think she'll come knocking again although if she's determined enough to wake up that early and sneek out to do it you never know! :shock:

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Had a blast reading First Day Jitters to first grade classes. It's a cute story of the nervousness of the first day affecting the heroine of the story, with a twist.

We talked about various feelings about first day: Nervousness, happiness, excitement, some crying..etc

then, down to brass tacks as to expectations of conduct, etc.

Great First Day, if I have to say so myself..

As for our Middle Schooler, she asked of I'd fix breakfast for her. I did for us, and she traipsed off to the bus pickup point. Bus was on time, scooped her up and then on to MS.

She was excited to go back to school.

Even, C6, my fave teacher of all time, tarted off with a great First Day.

Now, to just string 179 more of these together for this school year.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Stephanie.....are you sitting in a quiet house? all alone.....?

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

TP - why don't you just make her aware that her daughter is possibly sneaking out early in the morning, making poor decisions - not how mad it made you. ;)

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

My "baby" drove herself to school this morning on her first day as a senior. I did ok and didn't cry UNTIL I heard a sappy poem and song on G105.

They grow up so fast. One day in kindergarten the next in high school.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Hat - do you always talk about your wife in this way, lol! :mrgreen:

7. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

We had assesments this morning, but we got there early not knowing about the traffic, it was great to see all the kids with there stuff going into the school! But lord have mercy some of those kids going in to the middle school looked like they had 100lbs strapped to their backs!

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Met w/ the interpreter today. Going to be a lot of fun and she will be involved w/ the class as well. Can hardly wait. So, don't be suprised if in a few weeks your child comes home signing something to you--LOL. Great learning experience for all I hope. We had decided last minute he needed to be in kindergarten again since we're still working on language. Hard decision whether to send him on or hold him back. Now I know it was the best decision I made for sure for his academic success. I'm going to the orientation tomorrow for the class. Will you be there tomorrow? Fun times ahead for sure this year!

Stephanie--mom to 7

9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

That's awesome :) I'll be there tomorrow with my ds, the little giant, lol. We had to make the same decision for our dd this year, and decided to keep her in 3rd, it's not an easy decision, but I know in the long run it will be better for her. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow :)

10. seabee

seabee Guest

Lighten up there... I did the same thing when I was little, bang on my friends window to wake em up... no harm.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Bus problems - No
    Other problems - You betcha

Oldest girl drove herself to school for the first time:cry:
    Youngest started Middle School:cry:

12. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. When my daughter drove to her "last first day of school" I actually followed her, crying all the way. She thought I was crazy but after taking her to school all those years I couldn't not go her senior year.
    Keep the tissues near, everything she does this year will be her last.

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

all reports are good from the first day of 7th grade.

'cept one thing, they said the bus was so crowded that people had to stand. That is completely unacceptable. Calling the bus garage on the way home!

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't blame you, but keep in mind it's the first day. They will make adjustments.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Bus is late. About a half hour now. Trying not to get anxious. Surely they would call if he missed it?

16. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

URGHH!!!!! Knew it was too good to be true. My middle schoolers are home now. 7th grader is fine. 8th grader that just went back after 1.5 years of homeschooling has stated he is NOT going to go back & is now going to be homeschooled again. I said give it a chance. THEN my daughter told me everything & I can understand why. He told me he was yelled at all day. I told him he was exaggerating until my daughter told me he was telling the truth. And trust me, she'd sell him up the river in a heartbeat so I know it's true. One thing I agree was his fault. He said crap when he dropped his pencil. No cussing but still not appropriate for class. The rest of the stuff though, no. I will be writing and calling the teacher to get her side. He sat alone at lunch. All the stuff I was afraid would happen again is starting to happen again. URGHHH!!!! Why?! Then, a class that is supposed to have limited # of students now has 14. I'm going to verify and make sure all this is true that is being reported back to me. Don't like to jump the gun so checking first to give everyone a chance but so far, not looking good. Getting him to go to school tomorrow is going to be a nightmare for sure! I told him to give it a week. I'm just really upset by it all. If the teacher knows he has memory issues, then don't give him a hard time about not remembering something, especially on the first dog gone day! I could spit fire right now, I really could.

Elementary just got home at 5:20pm. Said it will get better w/ the week. I totally understand that. One of the only issues I really had is with 3rd grade son's teacher not explaining stuff to him. She most likely doesn't know but usually they read those things(IEP) before the child comes to class. I know it's the first day and all this stuff will work out w/ elementary. Still have extreme reservations baout the K-5 class but hey, who wouldn't. Pretty pleased w/ first day of elementary. Middle school NOT happy with at all. They will indeed be contacted.

now, highschool tomorrow. Really nervous about that one. Really nervous. Never had to deal w/ the occupational side of schooling so this is new territory for us. We're ready. I've heard both positive & negative in regards to WJHS. Looking for the positive so just waiting to see how things go tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great first day.

stephanie--mom to 7

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Glad I left teaching K-12! Makes being a parent much more pleasant during the first days of school! My kids had a great first day of 8th and 9th grade!!! I was particularly impressed with Clayton High School, very organized, positive, and upbeat according to my son. Hope the rest of the week is a repeat of today!!:hurray:

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My 5th grader enjoyed the day (except for the supply incident). I think he's gonna be fine. My 4th grader was bored. :roll: ... He's still in summertime play with Legos all day mode.

19. lissa27504

lissa27504 Well-Known Member

question on bus stop......my son gets off the bus at the entrance to our neighborhood. I was there this afternoon waiting for the bus when I saw the bus fly past the bus stop---had she stopped there the kids would not have had to cross the road. She went to another neighborhood let those kids off then came back to ours and our kids had to cross the street (she goes into the other neighborhood but not ours---not a complaint). However, the stop is right by a curve where people drive to fast all of the time. What would it take to convince the driver to stop on the way to other neighborhood so the kids don't have to cross the street? These are elementary kids crossing by a blind curve...not a good idea. We all see/hear the news and know what can happen.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Start with calling the school. I had to do it last year when the driver reversed the route and my son was having to cross the road near a blind curve. Someone didn't have their thinking cap on that day for sure.