Call to all '42ers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by andykenney, Aug 26, 2009.

1. andykenney

andykenney Guest

Hello 4042,
    My name is Andy, I am a reporter at The Herald. I have messaged a few of you in the past for articles, and our other reporter (Colin) posted a thread soliciting your opinions once.

Now I want to talk about something else: 4042 itself. I am writing an article about Johnston County's Internet presence, and I want to hear from you all about what you use 4042 for, why it's important, etc.

So if you're interested in putting in your two cents about local Web sites (especially 4042), call me at 836 5758, e-mail me at akenney@nando.com or post in this thread.

What I'd like to know from all you regulars:
    -How did you discover 4042?
    -Why do you use it?
    -What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here?
    -How often do you check the forums?
    -What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there?
    -anything else you can think of- stories, comments, whatever.

Thanks!
    Andy Kenney

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I use it to expose the mouthbreathing commies we have in this area. Feel free to contact me for a list of names.

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Wulf--why are you turning yourself in? ONLY KIDDING with ya!

4. Luvgoose1

See below....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Luv,

Hat6 is a he. I looked. It's confirmed.

And, thanks for the vote for the funniest thing. We did get a huge laugh out of it. I haven't spent more than 30 minutes down there. That will change, of course, now that football season is here and the bar at Lambeau South will be open for Packer games.

6. Luvgoose1

Ooops...so sorry Hatt! I don't need proof-I'll take your word for it! :lol:

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I use it to pretend I'm a short fat bald guy when really I'm muscular, tall and handsome.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

What Luvgoose said... I don't remember how I came across the site but I'm glad I did.

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

-How did you discover 4042? - really can't remember... kind of just "happened upon it"
    -Why do you use it? relay information, get information, read interesting perspectives, to vent my frustrations, get opinions, LAUGH A LOT, but most importantly to keep up with some of the most awesome people I've met in my whole life.
    -What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here? Weirdest is definitely the whole story about this guy AL who shows up every so often to post dates for his lover to meet him. We're all trying to figure out who "she" is. LOL .... I can pick a funniest, but I sure do love the "funny cat photo" thread for a quick break from the everyday stress.
    -How often do you check the forums? I'll never tell :mrgreen:
    -What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there? ummm, there's others? Oh... the johnston county school ones.
    -anything else you can think of- stories, comments, whatever. not really

10. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Hi Andy,

My name is Jennifer Konkol.

I found 4042.com years ago before the chat forum had this fantastic look to it. There were signs on the street corners at the 40/42 intersection advertising it. At that time, my "handle" was PostCorrespondent. I used it to make connections in the community, and poll people much like you're doing now. At the time, I was on staff with the Cleveland Post.

Now I use it to keep up to date with what's going on in the community, keep in touch with friends, occasionally brainstorm for column ideas, and as a cure for boredom.

Best/Weirdest/Funniest?

It would lean somewhere between Al, our hotel rendevous man, or the "Furbies", a group of animal activists who managed to paint everyone here as fur-wearing commies.

During the week, I check the forums on a daily basis.

Other Jo Co Websites?

Hmm, well there is WTSB.com, Johnstonnc.com, Johnstoncc.edu, and one other chat forum that I'm not sure the owner advertises, so I won't post it here.

David and Jaqueline have worked really hard to be active productive members of this community and I appreciate the fact that they maintain this sight and police it's board in addition to the "real" jobs they have.

11. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

-How did you discover 4042? In 4042's infancy, they posted signs by the road to advertise the sight.

-Why do you use it?To keep up with what is going on in the community.

-What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here? That is a hard one to answer.

-How often do you check the forums? Daily - I read more than I post.

-What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there? WTSB Radio

12. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Hi Andy,

I discovered the forum when a friend asked me to come on here and help her out in a discussion. My friend no longer posts here, but I have found the site addicting. I continue to use the forum to discuss everything from politics to the weather, and to ask for information. It helps me feel connected with the community.

People on this forum know everything about the area. There is no better place to get suggestions, recommendations, and general information about everything from where to get your car fixed to the best eye doctor or dentist around. Members are always quick to respond with computer advice, gardening advice, pet care, cooking, and about any other kind of advice might be wanted.

I think the funniest thing on here is the funny cat thread, but Hat's snake thread is very funny, too.

I check in here far more often than is healthy, I'm sure.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/ is a good place for official information about Johnston County. http://www.jcdp.org/ is another site I look at from time to time.

I have been impressed by how the people on this site come together to help the community. Members organize a Christmas project each year, to help make sure some needy families have a great Christmas. They have come together to help fire victims, and to bring food to families facing illness and hospitalization. I am proud to call many of them my friends.

13. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

-How did you discover 4042? A friend recommended it when I was looking for opinions on a particular chiropractor (who shall remain nameless).

-Why do you use it? To laugh, for a sanity break at the office, for information and opinions.

-What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here? The funny cat thread is by far the funniest. It's always interesting to see a good debate, too, and we have a lot of those.

-How often do you check the forums? Not very often any more. My work load prevents it. Imagine that, I have to work at work. :)

-What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there? I know of another, but I'm not sure I should say what it is. Same one as JenK mentioned.

I must say that I've made some great friends here. I don't see most of you very often, but have really enjoyed getting to know all of you.

14. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

-How did you discover 4042? Overheard someone complaining about it so I took a look.

-Why do you use it? Honestly don't know.

-What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here? Dunno.

-How often do you check the forums? Daily - I read more than I post.

-What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there? Don't know of any. Ran across one but it was dead.

-anything else you can think of? I like cheese.

15. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

-How did you discover 4042? When I bought my house there was a 4042.com sticker on the door to the garage so I checked it out.

-Why do you use it? Entertainment

-What's the best/coolest/weirdest/funniest/most interesting thing you have ever seen on here? there really is too much to count, but I’m digging the planning of Cleo’s cyber wedding to PRM right now. It’s well deserved and I wish them many healthy, brilliant, sarcastic, conservative cyber babies.

-How often do you check the forums? way too often

-What other Johnston-oriented Web sites are out there? none

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

"I have no comments at this time."

:jester:

Always wanted to say that.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You beat me to it Jester................I was going to plead the "fifth".:mrgreen:

I spend too much time on here, but this is a great group and I've made some good friends on here. I am not native to the area and I stumbled across the site some time ago, I come here to learn about the area, get opinions, argue a little bit, vent and hear other point of views. As others have mentioned, I have seen some tremendous outpourings of support both in good wishes and good deeds from people on here. :hurray:

We might not get along all the time, but when it comes down to it, there isn't a better group of folks anywhere.

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You just ruined my faith in humanity. :jester:

19. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Andy,

Another good question would be to ask why people chose the "handle" that they did...

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Oh and bostonredhed had a good idea ... why I chose harleygirl?

Well, this is my 3rd screen name thanks to the furballs :lol:

Got a harley and I'm a girl = harleygirl :mrgreen:

Good Luck with your article!