Costs of new heat pumps

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm getting VERY nervous here. knew you guys would most likely know something. I've heard to replace a heat pump it is around $4K to $6K. Is this truly accurate?! I know about the stupid tax credit but that won't do squat for us upfront. Anyone who has had theirs replaced lately, can you please give me an idea of pricing. We are calling the repair guy we alwyas call tomorrow who tells us every year(jokingly) it is not going to last another year. 16 year old heat pump. This time, we truly believe it is dead but going to hopefully give it one last repair chance--LOL. It's in the 80's in here right now & we're beginning to open the windows as it is finally cooling off outside. I'm lucky that the weather is cooling off though. Meantime, just need some quotes. We definitely can't do that estimate above so hoping I get some people saying it is a much lower cost. We have 3100 sq. ft. home & don't know if that makes a difference. We had one heat pump but originally it was sized for the home before we added to it. It was originally 1900 sq. ft. However, the upstairs has window units and can be closed off. Like I said, calling our normal HVAC guy tomorrow but beyond a good chance that it is toast. Then getting estimates. Want to know what might be a good price & if there are any type of cost cutting programs out there. Thanks in advance. Have a great evening...and a cool one--LOL.

stephanie--mom to 7

2. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

HVAC Replacement

One of my co-workers got a new HVAC system installed last week in his 2500 square foot house. Total cost was $6000. His was 20 years old.

Good luck!!

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Try the Progress Energy Efficiency Financing. They have a huge list of HVAC Contractors from around the whole state. Get the spec's on what you want in the new unit, then email the entire list for quotes. Then shop the lowest price to the local contractors. More or less, "Shop till they Drop"
    http://www.progress-energy.com/custservice/carres/financing/index.asp

Get knowledgeable on the system you need and get labor and parts prices split.
    This site has a good learning center and it has unit prices for the DIY'ers.
    www.alpinehomeair.com

4. George

George Member

Just used Mikes Heating and AC last week fond him in 4942 business directory great guy I asked him what it would cost to replace apprx 5000 I would use him again

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Replaced my heat pump for 1600. Just the heat pump, did not put all new ductwork or air handler in.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's probably not going to be an option on heat pumps as old as hers.

7. seabee

seabee Guest

Mikes is very good, extremely fair and honest...

8. Abdulina

Thanks all. Guy is coming at noon & I'll have more accurate asessment then. Keep you posted but this is nuts. Honestly, we thought the roof would be the first thing to go. So if any of you visit any time soon...ice cream, we want ice cream--LOL. Keep the links & quotes coming b/c it really does help. Husband is at work & my job is research today. I'm cheating by letting my son play the Wii & not entertaining him for an hour so I can get some prices, different units, etc. Onto more research!

9. Abdulina

I can not explain how estatic I am right now over a heat pump--LOL! Repairman came out and FIXED it. Yes, I said FIXED it!!! I don't think he believed it either. It was burnt wiring. We are looking around though for sure as we know this is not going to last much longer. But, bought us some time to save some money for a new heat pump & shop around for the best deal. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. $60 and relief for sure. I do appreciate all the help & we are definitely saving all the sites and still obviously doing research for when it eventually dies. 16 years... you know it is not long.

Take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Yea for you, i can imagine what a relief that was:hurray:

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That is great!! I'm happy for you!
    Our heatpump is about 11 years old so I'm very grateful for each more year it hangs in there.
    Btw-your repairman sounds like a real decent one,do you mind letting me know who he is? You just never know how soon one might be needed with our heatpump.
    Thanks!
    Annette.

12. Abdulina

Sure Annette! He is a great guy & done this forever. Older gentleman but definitely knows his stuff. He was recommended to us years ago by a personal friend. Does his business all on references if I'm not mistaken which says alot for his character. He is no nonsense & doesn't beat around the bush. Will tell you upfront the problem & you can not beat the prices of him from what I've heard. Quality work for a great price & prompt service. Will be there when he says he's going to be there. His name is Paul Houghton. You can tell him the family w/ the kids sent you--LOL. That's how he remembers who we are every time we call him. Don't know why but he does. Am I allowed to give #'s on this forum? If so, let me know & I'll give the # publically. OTherwise, just email anyone who wants his #. It is a rarity you find someone of his caliber anymore. Hey, anyone who can make a 16yo heat pump still run, is a miracle worker in my eyes--LOL. Seriously though, great man, prompt, reliable service & very honest.

STephanie--mom to 7

13. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Any of ya'll reading this and needin' a great deal... have your service guy call Carrier in Raleigh I think... (it's near the airport) and ask about the Payne Bundle Pkg. If he'll pass the savings onto you, you'll get a great system at a hard to beat price.

The prices were in line with some of the crappy brands out there, but Payne is backed by Carrier; the guys who invented this stuff.

Ya'll welcome to come by the trailer and take a look at mine before you buy.

14. AnnetteL

Thanks for the tip! So far ours is sill running,thank goodness!
    The Payne model sounds like a good deal and as long as it's not a Payne in the ... ;) it will be the way to go!

15. AnnetteL

Thanks so much Stephanie,in order to be safe-just pm me his number,that probably would be best,thanks!!
    He sounds like a great guy,something that isn't always the case these day's,I'll safe his # for the day in the (I'm sure) near future when our heatpump decides to quit running. BUT if it runs another 5 years which would make it 16 years old like yours, than that would be great off course :)
    Thanks again!
    Annette.

16. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yes, you can certainly give the name and contact information of the person you are recommending. That includes phone #, address, web site.

17. AnnetteL

Thanks KDsGrandma! I wasn't sure ;)