Obamas back to school speech

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Okeh, Sep 7, 2009.

1. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

lol. if you've seen one tin-foil-thread, you've seen them all.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Whatever cmd. All you want to do is critique my parenting, and then insinuate that my children will be working at McD's. Poor Form.

My high schooler watched the speech, because he *is* able to think for himself and I told him he would be watching and completing the assignment.

I am not concerned with my 5YO becoming an Obama supporter. I am concerned with the govt intruding into my life and the life of my children - esp one that *is* young and impressionable. I think it is the beginning of a slippery slope, I let them in here and where does it end - and will my younger children grow up thinking that the govt knows what's best for them and is going to take care of them? That's where they appear to be heading. Politicians are like children, you give them an inch - they take a mile - and frankly I don't trust any of them, from either side.

I had a choice as to whether or not my child could view this, and I made my choice. What do you care? Worry about your own damn kid. I don't care that your kid saw it. :?:

3. Cleopatra

You should start a Tin Foil Thread Thread, and link them all there. ;)

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you seem to be a little late to join this convo. at least i don't remember seeing you post on this topic before today. that's not a slam, but your admonishments pretty much ignore the last week's worth of conversations.

you're judging the whole thing by the end, not by the lead-up. many people believe the relatively inert speech was not the originally intended speech, or that it was probably softened after the public outcry. also, most of the controversy centered around the "suggested" accompanying study materials and exercises. you seem to be ignoring all that.

the final version of the speech was fine by me and probably most, but i'm betting it was toned down some...

5. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! :banghead:

6. Cleopatra

Aren't you supposed to be on Maury right now?

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

But she ain't the only one.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Many people also think they can read minds, that Obama wasn't born in this country and that George W. Bush planned 9/11/01.

Yes, I brought George into the conversation, sue me! :mrgreen:

9. momof3grls

Why are you always so immature? Why not just stick to the issue? I think it's probably because you know you overreacted and got sucked into the chicken little mentality.

10. dangerboy

sucks and sucks less is not a valid choice imho. yes, the govt will always exist and will always have some say in our lives, but why let them have any more than they need? why let them have more than the constitution lets them have? yes, they're in our lives. no, they're not in our lives like china or russia or cuba, but "they're more intrusive than they used to be, but at least they're not as invasive as alot of other governments" is weak sauce.....

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Now that is funny

12. dangerboy

the opinion that the speech was softened was based on other supporting documentation, not on wild-*** conspiracies. did you read the original study guides posted online BY THE OBAMA ADMIN? some of it was questionably politically charged. although, of course, i'm sure you wouldn't see it that way because it was charged in your direction....

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Perhaps we wouldn't need so much government interference if folks would butt out of how someone wants to raise their kid. 50 years ago parents, teachers, etc. had the respect of the kids and drugs, gangs, etc were not as much of an issue. Coincidence? I don't think so. And before you jump my ****, I let my son watch the dang speech. And I'm talking about dicipline, not child abuse before you go down that road.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's all fine and dandy til you start attacking someone's parenting skills that you know less than nothing about. Geez Louise the crap I have seen on here today. :?

15. There's a difference in being close minded and standing up for the values you believe in. Being close minded is a term lots people like to use to condemn those who do not waiver from their values and beliefs. Haven't you ever heard the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything?"

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Did you forget this one?

17. momof3grls

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Look, whoever you are, what part of I LET MY SON WATCH THE SPEECH did you not get? However, I do respect the right of others to not let their kid do the same. Crawl back in your hole.

19. momof3grls

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I've tried really hard to keep my mouth closed about this one and prob should but oh well.

Its just giving folks one more thing to fuss about.