What to do with my pork butt

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Sep 28, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I bought a huge pork butt roast thingy at Lowe's Foods yesterday for $4.xx and I have no idea how to cook it.

Can I cook it in my crock pot? If so, what do I put in with it?

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I had an answer, till I read the rest of the post! :x

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

boston butts are best cooked ont he grill super slow (we usually cook it for 4 or more hours), brushed with a vinager based BBQ sauce. Then chopped or sliced. Homemade BBQ girl! YUM.

I don't see why you couldn't crock pot it with some BBQ sauce, or just like a regular beef roast, with potatoes onions and carrots.

5. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

exercise

6. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I agree with the slow grill, but I use a dry rub and hickory chips in the grill to smoke it. Rosemary, thyme, dry mus-My Friend, garlic powder, cumin, lots of salt and pepper. It's super fatty so the grilling lets some of that out too. Delicious!

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

You can cook it in the crock pot. A friend of mine cooks her w/ chunky applesauce and says its yummy! also check www.allrecipes.com

8. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

you just wanted to say pork butt!

9. seabee

seabee Guest

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

10. michelle

I KNOW you are biting your tongue :jester:

Keep biting!

11. michelle

Kell, it's not from Boston. It's from Lowe's Foods.

:jester:

12. seabee

seabee Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

14. Love it! I bought a huge pork butt today. :lol::lol::lol: I'm going to roast a skinny chicken butt later.

15. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

i cooked a boston butt in the crock pot last week. i put a dry rub on in and cooked it on low for about 8 hours. turned out really good.

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I agree that it is better on the grill for about 6 hours, but the crock pot is okay too. I cook a pork loin that way for 8 hours and it just falls apart...yum. I use Rump Shake or Bone Suckin' Rib Rub on it and a little bit of George's sauce or Bone Suckin' in the bottom of the crockpot.

MMM...now I'm hungry!!

17. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

you would catch that wouldn't you? :mrgreen:

18. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I cook it in the crock pot as well,I pour a bottle of bbq sauce over it and let it slow cook until it falls apart,we usually eat it on a roll with coleslaw.
    Coleslaw: 1 bag of shredded slaw or shred your own ;)
    about 1 cup of of cream (heavy whipping cream),2-3 tbs.vineagar,1-2 tbs.sugar,salt,pepper and a little bit of mus-My Friend. Combine all ingr. and let sit for several hours.Before serving you might want to add 2-3 tbs. of sour cream and possibly 1-2 tbs. of water and toss.

19. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

That sounds great Annette! Going downstairs to pull one out of the freezer for tomorrow!

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Lightweights!! Michelle, low and slow is the way to go. When we do them, we do them at about 200 to 225 on the grill (we use a Big Green Egg) for about 18 hours (yeah, I know, but it's worth it) Center temp should reach 160 degrees. Oven at 325 for about 45 minutes per pound. Crock pot would work too, of course. Good eats!