New High School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Can anyone please tell me where I can find information on the new school on Polenta?

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

3. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Thank you

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://www.theherald-nc.com/education/story/11265.html

School leaders will hold a public forum from 6 till 9:15 p.m. Oct. 1 at the Clayton Center. They will hear feedback about Cleveland High from 6 till 7:30 and about Corinth-Holders High from 7:45 till 9:15. To view a map of the proposed boundaries

5. bandmom

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I was looking at the site last night. I even voted on what the logo should look like. They gave a bunch of samples.

The school looks like its very much larger then the West Johnston school on Mclemore.

I wonder if before the school opens if they will have an open house kind of thing and let local residents take a walk around and check it out

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think it's rare to have it but they may.

8. bandmom

Most schools do these days. I think they will try to offer everything that West does, so kids won't have that as an argument for choosing one school over the other. Although with any new school it takes awhile for programs to get up and running well. I'm sure many are worried about music and sports programs as well.

When our son went from SJHS to West as a sophomore when it first opened- it was an easy transition and it turned out very well for him being in the band program. I'm glad I don't have one in school anymore, lol!

9. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Public Hearing Thursday On New High School Attendance Boundaries
    The Johnston County Board of Education will hold a public hearing this Thursday on the proposed high school attendance boundaries for the new Cleveland and Corinth Holders High Schools opening this fall. The hearing on the Cleveland High School boundaries will be held from 6:00 until 7:30pm and from 7:45pm until 9:15pm on the Corinth Holders High proposed district. The hearings take place at The Clayton Center on East Second Street in Clayton.

10. bandmom

maybe you should take the time to read some of the posts before posting....this was posted just a few posts before yours. :lol:

11. #1grandma

#1grandma Well-Known Member

FYI --- West Johnston High School is on Raleigh Rd....not McLemore Rd. Raleigh Rd. starts at Hwy 301 and goes until you get to the fork in the road about a mile before you get to Cleveland Rd. That short section of McLemore Rd. was named for Dr. George Aimee McLemore who was the only doctor in the Cleveland School Community during the early 1920's - 1950's. The fire district is also called McLemore Fire District for that reason.
    Just a little history lesson.

12. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

You mean there was life here before all us Yankees showed up? Who knew?

13. bandmom

New High schools charting course

http://www.theherald-nc.com/front/story/12424.html

JOHNSTON COUNTY - School leaders are deciding what classes, clubs and sports to offer at the county's newest high schools.

When Corinth-Holders and Cleveland open next August, they will have most of the same course offerings as existing Johnston high schools. But since they will open with just freshmen and sophomores, it'll be a year or two before some courses and activities get going.
    Most noticeable next year will be the absence of varsity football. School leaders say it would be unsafe for a team made up of underclassmen to play against bigger teams.
    On the academic side, Cleveland and Corinth-Holders will be much like other high schools in Johnston, though student demand will determine the exact course lineup. But both new schools will be more technologically advanced than their peers, with large computer labs and an interactive white board in each classroom.
    "You got a lot of good things going to go there," school board member Dorothy Johnson told Corinth-Holders families last week.
    The main difference between Cleveland and Corinth-Holders will be in career-education options. Those course selections are based on surveys of future students' interests.
    Academics
    Corinth-Holders Principal Ross Renfrow held a question-and-answer session last week with the families of future students. Cleveland High Principal Anne Meredith hasn't scheduled such a meeting yet but said she plans to hold one.
    At the Corinth-Holders meeting, parents were concerned that their children might not have the same academic opportunities as students at established schools.
    "We want to put your child in a position to be successful," Renfrow told the crowd gathered at Archer Lodge Midde. He assured parents that if students demand a class, the school will offer it, either with an on-campus teacher or through distance learning.
    Some Advanced Placement courses won't start for a year or two because they are intended for upperclassmen.
    Cleveland and Corinth-Holders will vary a bit on the technical side. At Corinth-Holders, career-education courses will include auto mechanics, consumer science (formerly home economics), business and marketing, health occupations, biotechnology, horticulture, construction and masonry. Cleveland won't have auto mechanics and construction, but it will offer digital media and communications, engineering and drafting. Several of the courses might not start for a year or two though.
    Sports, activities
    Both schools will offer all the same sports as other county high schools as long as there's enough interest to field a team. But varsity football will have to wait a year until students at the school are old enough -- and big enough -- to compete against schools with all four grades.
    "I have a hard time lining up ninth- and 10th-graders against existing teams," Renfrow said.
    A former football coach himself, Renfrow said he's working to create the spirit and community of football season in other ways. "We'll have to be creative in bringing that culture to Friday nights," he said.
    Renfrow wants to get permission to hold junior-varsity football games on Friday nights. He hopes to schedule a few games against Cleveland, which also won't have a varsity team next year.
    "There could be a good rivalry between Cleveland and Corinth-Holders," Renfrow said.
    For student who aren't athletically inclined, the schools will have a number of clubs, though which ones will depend on student and teacher interests.
    Both principals said creating a strong band program was a priority. Renfrow said a weak band program was one of his biggest regrets in his tenure as North Johnston High principal.
    Meredith, the Cleveland principal, said she wants to see the success of West Johnston's band duplicated at her school. But she worries that the close proximity of the schools could hurt fundraising efforts.
    "We certainly want to offer a successful band program," Meredith said. "It costs a lot of money to have that competitive a program. Can the community support two band programs at that level?"
    Other arts programs, such as chorus, visual arts and theater, will be available at the new schools. A visual-arts classroom will include a kiln to fire pottery. "Probably one of the nicest rooms in the school is the arts room," Renfrow said.
    For the first year, neither school will be able to host an ROTC program, but the principals are working to get a branch of the armed forces on campus as soon as possible. Which branch will depend on which can start soonest.
    Safety issues
    Parents at the Corinth-Holders meeting also raised concerns about safety. Both new schools are in rural areas with narrow, sometimes winding roads. One mother noted bluntly that Corinth-Holders is "in the middle of nowhere" and worried about teen drivers getting in accidents.
    Both principals said the lack of upperclassmen next year will give the schools time to develop safe-driving plans. Renfrow said that's a top priority for him, noting that the deaths of several of his students years ago was "one of the darkest days" of his career in education.
    One parent suggested that Corinth-Holders students be encouraged to drive to school using Wendell Road and Lake Wendell Road, rather than the more-winding Covered Bridge Road.
    The schools are designed with a guardhouse at the entrance. A school employee will check to make sure anyone coming and going has a legitimate purpose. Also, because the schools will open with just two grades, the principals are looking at concentrating classes in one area of the building.

14. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member