What to do with my pork butt

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Sep 28, 2009.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks honey. I love ya.

If DH gives me a cold again ... well ... he'll be buried on someones property :lol:

2. harleygirl

Well, some of us have *plans* for our husbands in the event the **** hits the fan (hopefully Kent doesnt read this -LOL)

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers:

4. seabee

seabee Guest

5. harleygirl

:lol:

In the event my screen name has been deleted, you know why! :lol:

6. harleygirl

7. seabee

seabee Guest

lol.... :cheers::cheers::cheers:

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:jester::jester::jester:

9. harleygirl

In the event I have to escape, I'll PM you my password! :lol:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I got ya covered! :p

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

those black-eyed peas, tasted alright to me. 8)

12. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Ok, I found this thread! :lol: I want to make "pulled pork" and slaw sandwiches this week. I didn't read this whole thread, but a recipe I found said to rub the pork butt with seasoning before cooking and add liquid smoke and bbq sauce. I have never used liquid smoke in my life! Should I try it or stay away from it?! Any advice on cooking pork butt in the crockpot for bbq sandwiches is welcome!:mrgreen: I will go back and read through this thread too. I'm sure there are some great ideas.

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I would say it depends what bbq sauce you use. Char-Grill flavor sauce by Kraft is already smokey, but if you were using Sweet Baby Rays plain, then maybe a drop or two. Liquid smoke is very strong, use a few drops at a time, then taste and add more if necessary. You don't want to use too much.

14. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I cook mine in the crockpot and I've found that slow cooking it for about 10-12 hours is the best, I will often put it in as I go to bed late at night and let it cook overnight. When you put it into the crock pot place it in there upside down--with the fatty side up--that way the fat melts down through the meat helping to flavor it. The vinegar in the recipe is what makes the meat tender is my understanding, and I always use cider vinegar. I have actually been in a hurry and forgotten to add anything to the pot except the meat, and after the meat cooked we shredded it and added the barbeque sauce and let it sit over night, and it still made it really tender and was delicious. Hope this helps!:p I think liquid smoke is really a personal preference. I don't care for it but some people like to add it. You'll probably have to try it both ways and decide for yourself.

15. Allioop

Thanks y'all. I can't wait to try this. I'll let you know how it turns out. Now I just need to find a good pork butt.

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Here is all you need to know......LOL

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe/index.html

Incidentally in this show Alton also shows how to make some really simple and easy smokers.

17. Allioop

:lol: That reminds me I need to dust off my treadmill.

18. Allioop

19. cjcarden

cjcarden Guest

Call Charlie @ Charlie's BBQ & Grille

Call me at the restaurant and I will walk you through it...Charlie-Charlie's BBQ & Grille. 919-934-0093 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  20. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

The easiest way to cook it in the oven is to first put a rub on it. If you don't make your own, McCormick's pork rub is decent. Put a generous coating on it - when you think you've put too much, add a little more. Put it in the oven in a pan raised up so the fat can drip down. Fat side down, uncovered. Cook it at 375 degrees until you get an internal temp of 150 or so. After you hit 150, cover it with aluminum foil and cook to an internal temp of 205. Take it out, let it rest an hour or so and then you can pull it. You can add any sauce you want then. You could do a few other things like injecting it, but you're not in a competition or anything :cheers: