New developement at 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by softballmom, Oct 7, 2009.

1. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

don't know if anyone has posted about this, I apoligize if this is a repeat:
    From WTSB radio website:

Commissioners Approve Rezoning For Major 40/42 Development
    Johnston County Commissioners have approved the rezoning of approximately 300 acres of land near the I-40/Highway 42 interchange that could become one of the largest commercial
    developements in the County. Likely rivaled in size only by Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield, the proposed River Oaks project would include over one million square feet of retail and professional office space, 350 hotel rooms, 350 apartments, and 200 condominium / townhomes. Developers of River Oaks have not disclosed which store may anchor the retail space, which would be located near a Wal-Mart which opened at 40/42 earlier this year. Johnston County Planning Director Barry Gray said the mixed-use commercial development would be located directly behind the existing River Oaks Development and would be accessed at a stoplight at Wal-Mart and tie in to Sun-Lan Parkway. “There would be no new access points onto Highway 42,” Gray told WTSB. Construction would take place in phases and could start within one to two years, Gray said, with completion by 2015. The development would create considerable more traffic in the already crowded 40-42 interchange. Projections suggest an additional 24,732 cars would travel to and from the development daily. Two people spoke in opposition of the project at the Planning Board meeting but no one spoke in opposition before County Commissioners on Monday night.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Wow. News to me.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Smart ***. :mrgreen:

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

one difference between this one and the other thread is that the other thread said 3 years but this one said

Construction would take place in phases and could start within one to two years, Gray said, with completion by 2015

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

This item also says the new development "would be accessed at a stoplight at Wal-Mart" and “There would be no new access points onto Highway 42.” Excuse me, wouldn't that be a new access point onto Hwy 42, across the highway from the Walmart entrance?

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Since the light's already there (along with the left turn lanes from 42), they probably consider the access already there. Don't let the fact that the road isn't there yet get in the way.

Or maybe he meant there'd be no new access points onto I-40.

Whatever they do, it's going to be even more of a mess around there.

7. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I would think if it really big, they we need to do a flyover directly into the development similar to Crossroads in Cary off US 1/64. Although crossroads is a disaster traffic wise, except for that entrance.

8. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

It wasn't too bad in 1993.

9. gooberama

gooberama Guest

this seems to be the way to limit community opposition, keep it quiet then bring it to the county commissioners for approval.

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Nothing has been kept quiet there Goober. Everything has been done according to developmental submittal rules and regulations.

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I remember reading on 4042 a couple of years ago that DOT has plans on redoing exit 312 by making it a SPUI. But before they would do that, they would build an exit at where Cornwallis to relieve the traffic at 4042. Also that DOT has plans on widening Rte 42 to at least three lanes from Rte 50 all the way to Rte 70. But that DOT didn't and probably doesn't have the funding to do any of them.