Do You Use CFL Bulbs? Here's Where You Shouldn't

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Came across this today and thought it might affect a fair number of follks:

Don't Use CFLs in Garage Door Openers
    There have been several warnings concerning the use of compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs in garage door openers. Most garage door openers use electronic switching similar to a dimmer switch to operate the light bulbs and it is not compatible with CFLs, even CFLs that are supposed to be "ruggedized" or dimmable. This switching incompatibility coupled with the inherent vibration of a garage door opener can damage the electronic circuits and can cause the electric motor to overheat to a potentially dangerous level. Neither the Genie Company, a company which makes door openers, nor the General Electric Company, a CFL manufacturer, recommend the use of CFLs in garage door openers.

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Not in the garage opener, but I use them pretty much everywhere else. I have had to replace dozens of them because they fail. It's strange, some seem to last for ever, others fail consistantly. One place I have had really bad luck is the vanity globes in the bathrooms.

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Good thing too....especially when you are in there nekkid.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

if they put out half the light of a regular bulb I'd have more of them in the house. As it is I've got 3-4 of them in places I don't mind having a lower lighting level. The one down fall unlike regular bulbs you can't throw the CFLs in the trash can when they die.

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I HATE these stupid lightbulbs & yes, they do indeed cause fires! We've had two fires in our home b/c of these things. They do not last the given time...7 or 8 years. That is bologna. We've bought several different brands & out of the 100's of lightbulbs we've purchased, maybe 4 have lasted for a year or more. Total rip off in my opinion. My uncle used to work for the EPA..totally differnet agency I know, but is aware of the lightbulb problem. He said they were only ever meant to be put rightside up, not hanging down in fixtures like most do. He gave some scientific explanation for it that I could not follow--LOL. Anyhow, he said they should come w/ a warning about the potential for fires. Also, anyone think of the mercury in these things? It has to go somewhere. No, one lightbulb doesn't have much but I'm sure millions of them do. We've been trying to buy incandescent bulbs for awhile now. Just to have on hand. That, and after 2 fires, well, we just don't trust the things. I googled them awhile back & was suprised at how many others have had fires & many folks say they definitely don't last as stated on the package. I think the idea is good, just not maybe planned out well?? Don't know. Just know they don't work here.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I thought I told you to stay away from my window. :jester:

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm curious...were your bulbs used in lamps or in light fixtures? I use them in outdoor lights, but not indoors. Well, I do use them in our bathroom. Those were the first and they are yet to burn out after about two years at least. Those outdoors are in enclosed glass covers and so far have outlasted a typical light bulb. I do not use the bulbs where they may be broken, especially by my son.

I am concerned about the fire risks, though since you've mentioned it. That's why I ask about your usage.

8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

we put them in our shop. hoped they would last longer than regular bulbs. well, they do, but now the fixtures are showing "burn" marks. They're in ceramic keyless fixtures pointed down. anybody else noticed this. 100 watt incandescent bulbs don't do this.

9. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I have had mine about 2 1/2 years, in lamps and overhead lighting, including ceiling fans. I have not had one burn out yet. I would also like to know what the usage was with the fires. I do not have any in bathrooms. I have those huge globe bulbs in there, and those bulbs are 15 years old, and I have only had one of them burn out in that time. They get used every day, several times a day, I am amazed at how long they have lasted.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

WRAL is doing a piece about light bulbs tonight on 5 on Your Side.

12. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

14. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Wow almost another year. Mine have been in 3 1/2 years now, none have burned out. I would not suggest them in lamps, tho. Had one fall over at the paws of a cat, and busted. Only one I have had to replace.

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You just have to make sure the lumens are compatible with he incandescent you are replacing and the light output will be fine albeit a softer/whiter light. In fact, I buy a cfl that has a little higher lumens than what I am replacing to compensate for any 'light loss'. Stay away from the cheapo bargain bins light bulbs at Big Lots or something like that, because you get what you pay for.

And Home Depot has a recycling bin right inside their front door.

I have never had a problem with any of them. Upside, sideways, whatever. I have had a couple burn out prematurely, but I always keep the packaging and get refunds from the company. I am just a little too organized that way, I guess, but if I am spending that kind of money on something I keep their warranty info on file.

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I don't use them anywhere that they aren't fully enclosed by a cover to help protect against accidental breakage. I have grown to appreciate them more since today's CFL bulbs have a more incandescent. Those old ones were too harsh on the eyes.

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I was at the 40/42 Goodwill and they have boxes of K-lite energy saving light bulb packs for $1.00. There was a sign, I think it said they were donated by Progress Energy.

18. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

I bought some at the Goodwill near me. A whole box for about $15. That was a couple of years ago and I have yet to replace any that I have used so far.

A good deal is a good deal. :)

19. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

CFL disposal

You know you can not just throw them out but have to dispose of them properly. Home Depot has a box as you enter their store where you can dispose of the CFL's

You know they also make dimmable CFL's, but you have to buy a special dimmable switch to be able to use them

20. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I don't use CFL's. For lot's of reasons.

The most notable one is more than half of the bulbs used in the average home are in enclosed or globed fixtures. All bulb types give off 3.41 BTUs of heat per watt. For a 60watt bulb that's 205 BTU/hr.

Not a good environment for an encased (sometimes non vented) electronic high voltage oscillator that produces enough power to arc between two points. And it has a safety feature that creates a high voltage spark in a preheated atmosphere?

Did I just sound like "Sheldon Cooper"? Sorry, ....... but there's a reason the typical florescent light fixture is in a steel vented case around a ballast that is either cast molded or steel encased with adequate space between it and heat.

[​IMG]

CFL's are safe, somewhat, but I still don't want to become a statistic.:)