What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

new moon. so far NOT as great as twilight was.

if you have not been, edward mckay on capital is a great used book store. i made a haul a couple weeks ago!

2. bbfan

bbfan Guest

Parents- I am reading Nurture Shock:New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman. It is a fascinating study of the popular beliefs about raising children and what the research says. For example, it can backfire on you if you constantly praise your children with general praise. It should be very specific- telling the child exactly what they did is great,instead of just saying a general statement. It talks about sleep- really-JCS is doing the exact opposite of what the research says. The high schoolers should be going to school later. It talks about why kids tell lies, and how we as adults actually perpetuate the issue,and how we can stop it. It is very interesting and I recommend it to all parents and even teachers, because it talks a lot about issues that would come up at school as well. It is an easy read- not too technical.

3. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

Keep reading, it does get better.

4. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

Just finished "Hurry Down Sunshine", "A Thread of Truth", "The Lost Symbol" last week, and start "The Last Lecture" this morning.

5. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

I just finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo". It was really good! A slow start but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Going to pick up the sequel this week.

6. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Gotta get me some good mysteries for next week. Going to Cancun and have my toes in the sand! Just what the dr. ordered! :hurray:

7. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

I have read that one. It's good. Cried at the end, but then his books usually do.

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

What great life lessons in "The Last Lecture". One of my all time favorite reads. I recommend it to everyone.... A MUST READ!!!

9. I think every single book I've read by Nicholas Sparks has made me cry. He is one of my favorite authors. Dear John is awesome. I haven't read The Lucky One yet. I wish I had time to read something other than textbooks these days. I can't wait for winter break.

10. CrazyFabulous

all of his make me cry too!

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: I have read it cover to cover a couple of times and keep it on my desk at work for those times when I need a little bit of encouragement. He was a remarkable man and definitely a role model to me as a teacher and parent.

12. CrazyFabulous

just finished breaking dawn. i wish these books would go on....i do miss it already!

13. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I am so excited that they made Dear John a movie! I can't wait to see it. I think the girl that is playing Savannah (the cutie from Mamma Mia) is perfect for the role. I'm not sure yet about the guy. I've seen him in other stuff. I'm just glad it's not somebody from the cast of High School Musical. :lol:

14. CrazyFabulous

now u know they will screw up that movie and not follow the book at all! when does it come out?

15. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I know I'm scared of that, but remember how good The Notebook was? I'm hoping for another Notebook. It still won't be as good as the book I'm sure. The movie comes out the first weekend in February. I'm making my hubby go with me!

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

No book at the moment. I'm reading my Mother Jones magazine. It's an awesome magazine that alot of you should subscribe to. :lol:

Sherry

17. CrazyFabulous

started tony dungy's quiet strength last night.....OUTSTANDING!

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Have you read her adult novel The Host? I'm not usually into sci-fi but I enjoyed it. Along the Twilight series line, I've also heard the Vampire Academy series and the Sookie Stackhouse series are very good.

19. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I read it a couple months ago and it was good. Typical Nicholas Sparks, nothing out of the ordinary though.

20. CrazyFabulous

i just heard about the host yesterday and will probably check it out. i am missing edward and bella!