Home Decorating Poll

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LLI, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LLI

LLI Active Member

Hi JenniferK...and we don't think you sounded horrible (we asked for your thoughts!) Being in the design trade (as well as watching 4042 forums :)), we recognize that everyone does not feel the same way nor have the same budget. As we mentioned before (LLI QUOTE):

So far we have had a great response from our vendors and associates that are willing to participate in presentations, free samples, discounts for attendees, etc. depending on the "topic"...so we are not just talking about a home improvement store's type of "class".

Now our turn hoping not to sound horrible....
    We are professional designers and really don't want to be like the "big store's that offer free classes" (no offense I hope)... our knowledge should be one of "the main incentives" for those seeking "design help" but don't want to or can't pay the "designer price". We are not your "average retail store" and since we personalize our services, we are not open to the public with the same hours as "retail", etc. If we are hired or sell something later because of it ...great and if we don't, it doesn't matter because our attendee got what they paid for and we got paid. Our seminars will have "no strings attached". Let's face it...some people have a "party" just to get their friends together to "buy stuff". Though the party was "free" and you may leave with some "freebies", you may buy something at the party (whether needed or not) or find yourself hosting the next "free" party. IPeople can choose whether to attend a party like that and in the same respect, can choose whether to attend our seminars.

Also, while free decorating tv shows and free workshops at retail stores "work" for some, not everyone can "pull it together" by simply watching a show or without the "hands-on" personalization led by professionals. (For some, kind of like watching a great artist on tv "teaching you to paint"....not so easy for every viewer). You may be blessed with a decorating talent and able to do so yourself; therefore, we can certainly understand your view.

So again, we appreciate your input and answers to our poll, we do not think you are horrible for having an opininion and we would love for you to attend our first seminar...free. (And no, you don't have to buy anything from us later! :jester:) Thanks again!

2. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

Would you be interested and attend a decorating workshop or seminar?yes
    If yes, here's our other questions:
    What decorating topics? arranging furniture, window treatments
    What size groups (5-10 people) (10-20 people) (20+)? 5-10
    Do you prefer "hands-on", "question-answer" or "guest speakers"? hands-on and question-answer
    What would you pay for a one hour seminar/workshop? it would really depend on the seminar
    What days/hours are best for attendance? weekday mornings or evenings
    Snacks? not necessary
    Anything else?

Some of the topics our staff has discussed for presentation are:
    How to choose a paint color. yes
    How to decorate bookcases and fireplace mantels. not really interested
    How to choose the right flooring. not really interested
    How to start your remodel project. not really interested
    Where to find....
    How to arrange furniture. Yes, yes!!
    Window treatments. Yes, yes!
    Decorating for a party. yes

3. LLI

LLI Active Member

Thanks brea7347! We appreciate your input and invite you to join us free during our first seminar. We will keep you posted and thanks again!

4. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Guest

Would you be interested and attend a decorating workshop or seminar?yes

What decorating topics? arranging furniture, window treatments (I've been here 3 years and still can't find what I want), paint color ( the few rooms we have painted, I've had a terrible time trying to pick a paint color. After many, many swatches and several sample cans of paint, my husband just has to pick one. Of course, he did ok but I'd like to get less confused with coordinating.
    What size groups (5-10 people) (10-20 people) (20+)? 5-10
    Do you prefer "hands-on", "question-answer" or "guest speakers"? hands-on and question-answer
    What would you pay for a one hour seminar/workshop? it would really depend on the seminar and how long and involved. I've taken seminars for saving money etc. and have paid around $20. I'd be willing to pay a little more for this type of class but please don't get too expensive (or let me have a free seat :)
    What days/hours are best for attendance? weekday mornings or evenings
    Snacks? not necessary
    Anything else? If you get enough interest, you could offer different seminars focused on certain areas. That way, people could pick specifically what they want to learn and others (like myself) could do several.

How to choose a paint color. YES
    How to decorate bookcases and fireplace mantels. Yes, even though I don't have either, we do plan to have it installed.
    How to choose the right flooring. Yes, carpet and wood and tile
    How to start your remodel project. Yes
    Where to find....
    How to arrange furniture. Yes, yes!!
    Window treatments. Yes, yes!
    Decorating for a party. yes

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

3Boys...u made me feel somuch better! I have lived in my house for 3 years and I have curtains up in the master bedroom..that's it! I just don't know what I want!

6. LLI

LLI Active Member

Thanks 3boys1girl! How about trying our first seminar for free since you took the time to help us with our poll and we'd like to show our appreciation?

We will keep everyone posted but right now it looks like our first seminar will be dedicated to "Choosing a Paint Color" but no worries, we will get to the window treatment subject sometime soon!

Thanks again for your response and to everyone who has posted here! You guys are the Best!!! Keep your thoughts for this poll coming our way!

7. LLI

LLI Active Member

Poll Ends and Seminars Begin

We have ended our poll with success but have a few "free seats" left for our first seminar. If your name is not on the list below and you would like to attend a free decorating seminar here in the 4042 area on the topic of "How to Choose the Right Paint Color", please post your ideas in regards to the questions in our original poll or contact us via our website. (We will post here when all free seats are taken). We will also post our poll results.

If your name is listed below, start gathering your questions regarding paint colors and get ready to meet some "down to earth" (and part crazy) designers to get some professional advice! You will receive a pm with a promotion code for your free seminar, once the seminar dates are available online through our website. If you can not attend, please feel free to give your seat to a friend. Thanks again and we look forward to meeting you all, though we will have no clue as to "who's who"!

Again, thanks to everyone for your posts on this 4042.com poll, for the emails outside of this group and for the many "well wishes" you have sent to us!!! You guys are GREAT!!! :hurray:

Free Seminar Seat - "How to Choose the Right Color Underpinning"
    Offers Extended to:
    Redneck Rich
    CraigSPL
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Free Seminar Seat - "How to Choose the Right Paint Color"
    Offers extended to:
    Sassymom
    Ima Sheltie
    JellyBean
    Crysta
    Pickle
    ljk
    SavannahAnna
    Tangerine
    harleygirl
    PirateGirl
    Slate
    MamaApe
    JenniferK
    brea7347
    3boys1girl

8. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Yay I can't wait!

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Darn it, I missed the cut off!!! I WILL be at one of (at least) your seminars...I'm sure of it!! 8)

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Would you be interested and attend a decorating workshop or seminar? yes
    What decorating topics? making things in the house "blend" and window treatments
    What size groups (5-10 people) (10-20 people) (20+)? Under 20 for sure
    Do you prefer "hands-on", "question-answer" or "guest speakers"? hands-on & Q&A
    What would you pay for a one hour seminar/workshop? Not sure?
    What days/hours are best for attendance? Evenings or weekends
    Snacks? not necessary (but always appreciated!)
    Anything else? nope.

Also, we are getting ready to post an online store to our website next month which will list upcoming seminar/workshop topics, the hours and costs. So far we have had a great response from our vendors and associates that are willing to participate in presentations, free samples, discounts for attendees, etc. depending on the "topic"...so we are not just talking about a home improvement store's type of "class".

How to choose a paint color. Important
    How to decorate bookcases and fireplace mantels. Kind of important
    How to choose the right flooring. Think I got that covered!
    How to start your remodel project. Think I got that covered too! :lol:
    Where to find....good furniture that doesn't cost a fortune!
    How to arrange furniture. Kind of important
    Window treatments. Important
    Decorating for a party. Sounds like fun!

We need your ideas and what topics should be "priority". Thanks again![/QUOTE]

11. LLI

LLI Active Member

[/QUOTE]

Don't worry DMJmom, we have a free seat saved just for you!!! Thanks for sending your input and we will let you know about our seminar dates soon! We are excited and we appreciate your help!!! See you soon and again Thanks!

12. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Guest

Yeah, I can't wait either!
    This is coming at the perfect time, I have so many rooms to paint!
    Thank you!!

13. LLI

LLI Active Member

DIY Decorating Seminar Schedule

We have just released the dates for our local Do-It-Yourself decorating seminars. We have tried to pm each of our 4042 friends (that posted earlier in this thread with responses to our decorating poll) to pass along their free ticket information.

If you responded to this thread before the poll ended and have not received our pm with the 4042.com discount code or if you have any trouble when you visit our online store, please send us a pm or contact us direct.

Again, many thanks for your responses, suggestions and most of all, your support and encouragement! What a pleasure to live and work in this community! You are a great group of folks and we look forward to meeting each of you... even though we won't know "who's who"!

Laurel-Lane Interiors, Inc.
    www.laurellane.com

14. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

all topics listed would be great.....furniture arrangement and paint classes especially

15. LLI

LLI Active Member

Better late than never...right? We just sent you a pm. Thanks for your note!

16. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Would anyone like my seat? Cant make it that night. :)

17. LLI

LLI Active Member

A Few FREE Seminar Seats Available

In case any of our 40/42 friends are interested, we have had a few winners of free seats to our color seminar in response to our 4042.com home decorating poll giveaway that are unable to attend, so we would like to offer them to any interested member of the discussion group here on 4042.com.

The fall kick off seminar is this Thursday, November 5 from 7-8pm at our showroom off of Old Drug Store Rd (near the I40/Hwy42 intersection). Please send us a pm if you are interested in attending FREE and we will send you the discount code that you will need to enter when you register on our website www.laurellane.com .

Again, our many thanks and we hope some others here will benefit from your responses to our earlier poll and our "How to Choose the Right Paint Color" Designer Seminar for Do-It-Yourself locals.

Laurel-Lane Interiors, Inc.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Another creative way to advertise without getting too much heat.

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

20. LLI

LLI Active Member

"Creative" is our job! :lol: Won't you join us Thursday? :lol: