A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

speaking from a few different experiences here.

My uncle now has stage 3 colon cancer because he waited so long to get this done!! GO and GO NOW!!

My son had one done at 2.5 years old so if he can do it anyone can! I will have one next year along with a mammogram just because of my cancer risk!!

Get off you lazy butt and GO!!

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The prep really is worse than the actual procedure. I had my first one in '05, and several pre-cancerous polyps were removed during the procedure. Glad I went when I did! Had my next one last year, no problems, so this time I get to wait 4 years for the next one, then hopefully I can go to the regular 5-year interval.

3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

My dad had colon cancer when he was 55. That was almost 25 years ago, and thank goodness it has never come back. The colonoscopy was what saved his life. He just thought he needed Preparation H if you get my drift. He has had more colonoscopies (that is a hard word to type) since then than I can count. He says, "You haven't lived until you've had a rubber hose shoved up your back side." Guess that would be too true!

Don't put it off! And ladies, the same gene that causes colon cancer can also be related to breast cancer. If you have family history of colon cancer get your boobies squeezed earlier than normal.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I've heard 50 is the age to have it done. It sounds like a few of you have gone sooner. What do you recommend?

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Just discuss it with your doc and go with their recommendation. I was having symptoms that needed to be investigated, had to have a CT scan too. (whomever concocts those prep solutions should be forced to drink that nasty crap daily for breakfast!) No symptoms, you should be good. 8)

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ok, coming up the rear in this conversation (pun intended), My Dad had colon cancer in 1995. Thank the Lord above, he has never had any problems since. With that running in my family, it was recommended that I have one when I turned 40. I tell ya, its a walk in the park, seriously. The worst part about a colonoscopy is drinking that stuff to cleanse the night before. You must do it. It could save your life. If it runs in your family, get it done, even if it doesn't, get it done. It's very curable if caught early. Just do it. You won't feel it, remember it and its good for 10 years if all is clear. The life you save could be your own.

Love y'all. :grouphug: Now go get probed. :mrgreen:

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

OK - next question. Avoiding the Doctor apparently runs in my family. I don't have a primary care doc. I rarely go to the doctor. No reason really. Heck I go to the eye doctor every year, the dentist twice a year and even a chiropractor every once in a while. I had back surgery a few years ago and through that process I found a doc I liked over on Wake Forest Road next to the hospitol but I never went back to him.

Any suggestions? Would prefer one in BCBS network.
    Clayton or Raleigh.

8. KellBell

for a colonoscopy? I highly recommend Dr. Saleeby (Jr.). The nicest staff and doc's EVER. He does the procedure in office too.

http://www.saleebyproctology.com/

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Thanks - The Chiropractor I go to is in the same building. But I was actually asking about a Primary Care Doc. I don't have one now. If anyone has a good one I would like to know.

10. KellBell

ahh, I am sorry. I actually don't have a primary care doc either....I never get sick. Dentist, GYN and booby mash, that's it for me.

But Dr. Saleeby is the best for the colonoscopy....now call and get an appt. for we have to whoop your gorilla fanny.:boxing:

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

There is a thread on this somewhere if you want to look up all the recommendations for a General Practitioner, but I, and best I remember a lot of others, like Dr. Charles Williams at Horizon Family Medicine in Clayton.
    The best thing is to to find one you like and trust.... you don't have to stay with the first one you try.

12. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I don't understand why my cat who was terrified to go outside at the old house is loving the backyard here. Especially sitting on the deck at the pool, which makes me really nervous. Maybe because its fenced in she thinks nothing can get her.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Good deal. That's great news.

14. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I believe the ghost from my old house has followed us to our new house. I'm starting to think it's a "kid" ghost. It seems to like to take things.

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray::cheers:

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:hurray:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm glad everything came out ok for you. :jester:

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I just started going to Dr. David Meehan at Meehan Medical off of Shotwell Rd, just past CVS in Clayton. So far I have been very impressed with everyone there. He is my primary doc and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Dec. 30. He did several for my husband's family members and they were very happy with him. He does them on Wednesdays at JMH in Smithfield. I have had all positive experiences there with testing, childbirths, and surgeries, so I expect it will go well.

My mom was diagnosed with colon/rectal cancer at 48 and died after just turning 53 after 5 years of agonizing surgeries, bags, treatments, and being bed-ridden/disabled. I was 17 when she got diagnosed and I took care of her until she died. I managed to graduate high school, graduate college, and get married during those years. I can promise you that I will do all I can to spare my children that experience. She was the strongest person I have ever known and did not deserve the slow death she had. GET THE PROCEDURE!!!!

BTW, my youngest son had it done at 11 years old at Chapel Hill. If he can do it, then we all can!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

VERY happy to hear it!!!! :hurray::hurray:

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Keep your fingers crossed for BIL to shoot a deer. I haven't gotten a phone call yet, BUT the day's not over.

TIA :grouphug: