the mom of a sick little boy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by NalaMarie, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Some of you are missing an important point that crosses over into another debate. The public school system is requiring a doctor's note for what amounts to good, sound parenting. Doesn't that necessarily over tax the health care providers? I applaud parents who do not run to the Dr. every time their kid sneezes and the schools should support those decisions.

2. seabee

seabee Guest

well aren't you just filled with common sense this morning... I see you've had your cup of joe or 2... :jester:

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I am always full of common sense. :cool:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

it's not the school's causing problems, it's perception. People (parents) take things in different ways, expect things in different ways, handle things in different ways. IMO, based on the rash of threads about schools...alot of times, people bring things on themselves in the way the react or over react to some of these situations. :?

5. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

:iagree: I think most parents react before they think things thru. I did last night when I wrote my teachers a note because of one sent home on ds. I was in a crappy mood so my note is probably not going over very well this morning LOL

6. KellBell

Girl, I have done it before too. LOL.

But anyone who thinks they can't drop in and see their child is delusional. Does the school want you to do that? well hell no. It's not because there is something diabolical going on with your kid, it's a simple matter of the schedule being so tight as it is, they don't have time for interruptions which is a huge distraction for little Johnny AND the entire class. They ask for a head's up, to politely check with the teacher to make sure they aren't on a field trip, or doing a project with another class, taking a test, etc. It's called a common courtesy. Is the rule written in stone? of course not. Common sense these days is few and far between.

7. Cleopatra

Exactly. If you want to be offended, you will be. :cool:

8. KellBell

Exactly!!

:cheers:

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That's because they are being penalized for all of the NOT good sound parents who allowed their kids to stay out of school for no valid reason.

10. sassymom

haha i have my first teacher conference next week so I will apologize then for the not I am sure she will get a kick out of part of it though!!

:jester:

11. Cleopatra

Hey. I couldn't bring the blanky to my child, so I decided to bring my child to the blanky.

12. sassymom

:jester:

:hurray:

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Assuming what carrieann quoted on the other thread is accurate ... this prinicpal does not value parents. Why would the principal say this instead of simply explaining concerns about class disruption, etc...?!?
    If parents don't start paying attention, it won't be long before we have no rights.
    http://www.parentalrights.org/

14. KellBell

I bet she will! You are so sweet and I bet she and you get along the rest of the year. Most teachers have their guards up (see all the previous threads about perception and overreacting parents) and once they see you're just a regular parent, and you'll see she is a normal teacher, and you both have the same goal (your precious child) all will be well. There are exceptions to that of course, but my experience shows it's a very low percentage. Communication is usually always welcome.

15. sassymom

Assuming what carrieann quoted on the other thread is accurate ... this prinicpal does not value parents. Why would the principal say this instead of simply explaining concerns about class disruption, etc...?!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carrieann
    Once outside the room, she told me I had no right to access my child during the day. I quote her, "these are my children during the day, not yours".

Frankly she is right, with the way things are these days she has to "protect" these kids, because god forbid something happen she is the first person the parents are going to blame for not doing her job and she will be the one that faces the consequences!!

16. sassymom

the funny thing is she was my teacher when I was little LOL

17. KellBell

assume.....hmmmm.....that's a tough one. I don't doubt the woman is a tough cookie, but she has rules to follow too. If she did bark out something like that, then there are ways to handle that too.

18. KellBell

bing-freakin-O

19. Cleopatra

ncmom - that was said AFTER the parent threw her **** fit and circumvented the principal's policy. The policy being you do not enter the classrooom unnannounced, for a myriad of reasons already discussed on the other thread.

20. Cleopatra

sassy - you and I are sharing a brain today. :lol: