Pumas or Panthers in NC ????

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by turtlepits, Oct 15, 2007.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Just saw a dead black bear lying next to Auburn Church Road, almost close toward the Pepsi company. I've seen many dead foxes everywhere, from Riverwood area to Wendell. First time ever, I saw a dead deer with 3 point horns lying next to White Oak Shopping center. It's rare for me to see it because I've seen mostly female.

I guess cold weather is coming and animals are starting to come out more, I don't really know for sure. Maybe they're looking for water since drought is really bad around here.

2. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Twice when I was in high school in Roanoke, they had to lock down the school because a black bear was roaming the campus. We thought it was a hoot! :-D

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

They were bad for stealing the fish food (big 50lb bags) off my Grandmother's fish farm. I guess they thought they were in bear heaven! Black bears are generally harmless, although I wouldn't want to test that theory! :mrgreen:

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Better be careful when driving at night this time of year. Its rutting season for deer and they are considerably more active. Remember that Wake County leads the state almost every years in animal collisions...mostly deer. Lots of people, lots of deer and lots of woods and forests.

MY NEAR DEER KILL STORY...
    One night, my wife and I were driving back from Kinston on 70. We were in the left lane heading westbound and a tour bus was in the right lane. Our car was more towards the rear of the bus. Anyway, a large buck (with numerous points) darted out of no where from the other side of the road into my lane and practically ran head long into the side of the bus. With one quick bolt to the left, the deer was actually sprinting in front of me parallel with the bus for just a split second and then leaped in front of the bus and off into the woods to the right.

Keep those high-beams on as often as you can and better drive the speed limit at night. If I had hit that deer above, I would have had some serious problems because he would have made one heck of a trophy on someone's wall. He was enormous for a NC whitetail.

5. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I grew up on a river in NE NC and when I was little they would swim across pretty frequently. I have a picture of a mother and cubs in the tree outside my bedroom window(my neighbor took it, I am not that stupid).

6. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

In the 210/50 area there have been two bears killed in the last year. There is still a baby bear running around this area. I also know that there is a black panther in this area as well.

They don't bother me as much as the infestation of coyotoes. We have a severe problem with them. The bobcat did not make it in the fight with my chow. My dog has his face tore up but not as bad as the bobcat.

I think we will see alot more due to lack of water & the weather turning.

7. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I go to the Kinston even now like clock work; once a week. Not really a lot to see over there, but they seem to have a few decent places to eat. Haven't seen any more deer like that one though.

9. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

yes , the black panther is for real. He was going after goats. That was off of 210.

It is starting to get like animal kingdom out this way. This is from all the construction & lack of water

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like the Bladenboro Beast.

11. oth

oth Guest

Panther in Swift Creek Subdivision

The melonistic panther (large 100-150 lb. black cat) was in the Swift Creek subdivision in the last 3 weeks. (this is the 2nd time someone saw it)

I am curious if anyone else has seen this cat.

I did find another thread on 4042.com, from 2007, where people had spotted this cat along Hwy 210.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  12. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My dad had seen two different ones this year. This is in the Archer Lodge/Flowers area.
    Where he hunts, the lady says she hears "screams" at night coming from the woods. It's pretty swampy out there in her woods. She's gotten where she is sacred to even go out there. They ARE out there. Just waiting to get a picture of it.
    According to my dad, each time he has seen one, it has been about 9am.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I think I asked you thins before, but what time does he start drinking?

14. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

HA HA HA.....he doesn't drink. He seen what he seen!

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

That area has grown so much in the past 10 years. We are likely to see lots of animals that used to be in the woods. Heck, look at how many deer pizza's are in the road now. My first 5 years in JoCo beginning back in 1991 you would never see a deer out in the open.

16. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

I live off of Matthew's Road and one of my neighbors swears he saw a big cat about 2 weeks ago.

17. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Cougars !!??

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Reow!!

[​IMG]

19. seabee

seabee Guest

give it time... your not old enough to be a cougar... :jester:

20. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY