Veterans Day Offerings...please update.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Lowes and Home Depot offer 10% off to veterans on 11/11.

Outback offers a free Blooming Onion and soft drink for Veterans on 11/11.

McCormick & Schmick’s offered a free meal on Nov 8th.

Applebee’s offers a free meal to veterans on 11/11.

Golden Corral’s free meal for veterans is on Monday, 11/16.

If I missed any, please add so those who served can enjoy.

FWIW, I salute my brothers and sisters in arms for their service.

2. seabee

seabee Guest

Well its worth a hell of a lot to each of them I'm sure.... :cheers: Thats all that matters Hat

I see them around often and each and everyone of us should make it a point that if you cross paths with them a little Thank you and hello is an enormous gesture they all value and appreciate more than anything... :grouphug::grouphug:

3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Attended the Veterans Day parade in Raleigh on Saturday. The turn out was low. The sad part is I bet for the Christmas parade people will have a hard time finding a place to stand yet for our veterans there was a lot of empty sidewalk.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Ray Price HD also honored Vets on Saturday.

5. seabee

seabee Guest

:iagree: A spoiled nation that doesn't realize or know or care of the true sacrifices made... I do realize its not everyone, but even 10 that don't know is to high a number... :cry::cry:

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Any idea what is required to receive these discounts? I'm mean I've got a long ago expired ID card still floating around at the house, or do these places just take someone's word?

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i don't get why they have the celebration on Saturday, where i come from, we honored the vets with a big ceremony on the actual Veterans Day. My dad was part of the organizing of it and never missed it until he was reborn in Heaven:grouphug:

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Because some I guess feel that honoring veterans on a weekday Veteran's Day is too much of an inconvenience. But, of course, we have many people in our nation that doesn't even know the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Even the WRAL poll doesn't even give credit to vets of peacetime, which I found surprising.

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Craig,

Any form of ID should be acceptable, a campaign medal or award certificate reflecting military status. A photo in uniform, I really don't think that these businesses would challenge you on it. To their credit, I think they'd rather allow a poser to get over, than to possibly (however remotely) embarrass a veteran.

Carl

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Actually, Golden Corral just takes military service men & women on their word. That is according to their website. No ID required. I haven't checked the other companies yet.

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was wondering if I need to carry my DD 214! 8)

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol:

DH just said that! "what do I have to carry my DD 214 Papers?" :lol:

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

They use to have the event on Veteran's Day. It's just been the last three years or so they moved it to Saturday. When it was on Veteran's Day the crowd seemed much larger. There were also more displays at Moore Square.

14. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Not to get too far off topic, which tends to happen here, we were in Orlando a couple of weeks ago taking our grandson for his first Disney trip.

The resort we were staying at had BBQ's available for use and I was cooking some burgers one night and looked over and saw this guy on another grill and just knew immediately from the look that he was military.

Struck up a conversation with him and found out he was an Army CWO. Being retired and a CWO also we immediately bonded. We started talking and his wife told me that he had just gotten back from his FIFTH tour in Iraq. I was serving during Vietnam and I don't remember anyone having served five tours there. Hard to believe how much we demand of our military and their families now. I just shook my head and his hand and thanked him profusely.

It's easy to forget what they do for us with the freedoms we have so anytime you get a chance please thank them.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I didn't even know about it until afterward and I saw it on the news. Maybe they should get the word out, it wasn't even in the Carolina Parent calendar which is where I go to find wekend activities.

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

The parade is an annual event :) You can google to find the web site which has details. They may even already have the date posted for next year.

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree: