Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Anyone got one yet? Staying next to a Verizon Store and I am weak!!!

2. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

Wednesday is Droid day for me. contract goes free on the 11th.

Do want.

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Hey Nev,

Any suggestions for a pay as you go unlimited text only plan? My 13 year old wants a phone for Christmas, but there is no way I am gettin' into a two year contract for him... Boost, Virgin Mobile, Go phone??? Too many plans and phones to choose from. Thought you might have an idea! Thanks!

firefly:mrgreen:

4. nevilock

As far as networks, you'll probably want to keep him on a CDMA network (Verizon, Sprint, maybe Cricket, i haven't heard much about their roaming agreements though). That'll give you the widest coverage area, and ensure that you can almost always get up with him.

Phone wise i have no idea. I haven't payed attention to feature phones much recently. Maybe something with a qwerty keyboard though. Texting is pretty big for youngins. My co-worker has a qwerty feature phone, and he loves it.

IMO: Get him a Droid. Everyone loves a droid. I mean, its a $200 phone after a 2 year contract... but... its a droid!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  5. nevilock

Yeah. its a bit more crazy than it was before. it applies to all smart phones, but only if they were purchased after 11/15. It'll be $350, decreasing by $10 each month. so it'll get down to a minimum of $110 instead of $65 for the ETF.

It really sucks, but they were getting screwed by ebay flippers who would use the buy one get one black berry deal. they'd open a second line, get a free storm, take the 175 etf, and then sell it for about 300 on ebay. I can kinda see where they're coming from.

I'm planing to get my Droid on a 1 year contract. you pay about 70$ more up front, but thats the only cost. makes ETF less of a worry, and if something even more insane comes out next year, i'll still be free to get it. Damn my gadget lust. It will be the death of all of my money. All of it. =(

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

$350 charge for breaking the contract. It was reduced by $10 a month for each of the contract to date.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...-bump-early-termination-fee-to-350-on-advanc/

7. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

I've had a G1 for a year. I like it, but sometimes it can be slow. I installed an app killder to free up memory.

Prepaid, I had a Tracfone. Phone was $10 and spent about $10 on time per month. No minimum use to keep activated.

8. cellguy

cellguy Guest

boost iden(nextel network) 53.88 per month unlimited talk,text,web,walkie talkie

boost cdma(sprint network) 53.88 per month unlimited talk,text,web

virgin mobile cdma(sprint network) 53.88 unlimited talk only 10$ more for text

virgin mobile texters delight 19.99 plus tax unlimited text,the minutes are 10cents per minute

page plus cdma(verizon network,verizon and alltel phones) 43.05 per month unlimited talk and basic text,u get 20mb of pic mail and web

h2o wireless gsm(at&t network,unlocked gsm phones ie tmobile or at&T) 53.88 per month unlimited talk and basic text(no pic mail)

all are no contract or credit check

the only reason to sign a contract now is if you want a smart phone so you can use an email address on a private server,if you use a web based email like yahoo or gmail you can get by with most of the no contract unlimited plans that include data(boost and page plus),sometimes family plans can be cheaper but not always

any questions send me a message

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Got the Droid about 4 hours a go. I think its been out of my hands for about 30 minutes, which accounted for actual work and a restroom break!

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks for all of the great information!! I am thinking about the Virgin mobile unlimited text ($20/mo) with a basic qwerty keyboard phone. If he wants a droid, he will have to save up for it himself!! Not spending $200 for a 13 yr. old!! Might get me one though! Thanks again!

11. seabee

seabee Guest

My thoughts exactly...Virgin. :twisted::twisted:

12. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I am interested to find out more about the Droid too! I LOVE my Iphone but DESPISE AT&T & their policies!!!

13. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

DH got the phone on Friday. He's in love :) Switching between apps is really convenient, he loves the GPS, was pretty simple to get all itunes to transfer over to it!! It is a little heavy though :)

14. nevilock

got my droid now... i love this thing. Its so damn slick.

15. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

I looked at one last week, its no iphone.

16. nevilock

why should it be?

I don't want an iphone... Thats why i got a droid. That'd be like someone telling you "You're no republican" for talking about voting for a democrat.

17. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Its like having the choice to go home with the hot chick or her fat friend, you went home with the fat friend, IMO of course.

18. nevilock

I'm not going to fight with a fanboy on 4042. I've seen it enough on engadget and gizmodo to know that it goes no where, and the fanboy will always be obsessed with his device too much to see any faults in it. Enjoy your iphone, and your delusions.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Really, well I find her pretty hot! Of course I haven't tried another in over 4 years.

The reason iPhone is out of the question is AT&T. Love this thing, already realized that I no longer need my Garmin, this is phone does everything it does, but better!

20. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

are you upset because youre a verizon customer? If you have been on engadget then you should know their review isnt favorable for the droid compared to the iphone.