Price of Gas when you started driving

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Didn't want to steal the other topic of cheap gas. So I thought I would start a new thread.

Question: What was the price of gas when you started driving?

For me Unleaded was still relatively new and it was 47 9/10 cents a gallon.

Regular gas was 45 9/10 cents.

But I can remember my mom paying 23 9/10 per gallon and getting green or plaid stamps and having the oil checked, windows washed and tire pressure checked.

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

3. seabee

seabee Guest

My memory goes back to 23cents as a little hellion I was... full service all the way... :cheers::cheers:
    making faces at the attendant cleaning windows, thinking we were funny, I'm sure he thought lil bas-My Friend anyways... 8)8)8) the good ole days.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It was around $1.00 when I started in 1981, but I remember it being much lower before the energy crisis in the 70's.

5. Rockyv58

I got my license back in 1975. Between the two gas crisis'. I remember during the second one in 1977 what I would do is go to the A&P and pick up a case of soda and a case of beer. Go to sit in the line for gas and walk up and down selling soda for 50 cents a can and beer for 75 cents a can. This way by the time I got up to the front of the line I had my money to buy gas. With some change left over.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Rocky - you're awesome. :) BTW, in 1975 I was pooping in my diaper. lol

And gas was around 99 cents when I started driving.

7. Rockyv58

Thanks Cleo. I think your awesome also. but the diaper stuff TMI
    :) :) :) :)

Heck selling beer and soda to pay for gas is the Ameican way :)

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

My buddies and I killed a raccoon with our bare hands once for gas money. We took it to the fur place and got $7.00. That was enough for 3 gallons of gas and an 8 pack of those little Miller bottles they used to sell.

9. Cleopatra

I don't care what posts follow.... I think you won. :lol:

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I usually save that story for when I have employees that are giving me a hard time... :lol:

11. Cleopatra

But are they northern or southern? ;)

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Look at you keeping this one going....OK, I can't resist.

Both - the Southern one's work - the Northern one's complain about work.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

1954 - somewhere in the 22 - 23 cents range. I remember one time I had 3 others in the car and all of us put in a quarter. We got more than 4 gallons. Drove to Raleigh and back and had more gas in the tank than when we left Clayton. Driving a 1949 Ford.

14. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I started driving in 1980, Don't remember what the gas was but I do remember collecting glass pop bottles beside the road to get gas money. Their return was .10 each...gas couldn't have been much. I remember when cigarettes were .50 a pack.

15. pcatandfish

pcatandfish Guest

it was 25.9 in my days crusing benson

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

my dad owned the amoco station at crabtree from about 1975-1985. i remember the day amoco premium went to 99.9, somewhere around 1980. wral showed up and shot video of me pumping the first ever "dollar-a-gallon gas" in raleigh....

17. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Right there with you.

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I dont remember how much per gallon, but I remember "saving up" to put in two or three dollars worth of gas.

19. Rockyv58

I remember $5.00 use to fill the tank on my Chrsyler Cordoba. But now a days $5.00 can not even fill the tank on my riding mower :banghead: