Need glasses ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Nov 16, 2009.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Nope, too late. I just paid an arm and a leg (and I look funny walking around with just one of each now!) for a pair, but they're nice and I did get 30% off, plus $5 for being a AAA customer. Would definitely like to do the zenni thing for a spare, but I won't be seeing the eye dr again until next year, don't really want to go just to get my eyes "measured".

2. Betty Crocker Mom

Betty Crocker Mom Well-Known Member

Do you have a sewing ruler? Have an adult measure the distance with that, or call your eye doc and they should have it on your file. I measured it myself the first time and it was ok, then made sure after that, but I have called my eye doctor and they looked it up for me. :lol:

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

:iagree:

4. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

how in the world do y'all buy glasses for $20 to $40 a pair? are these prescription glasses or just reading glasses? Is your vision not that bad? My lens/prescription alone is over $300.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_-aMVQWZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReHCdLBB5Y

7. Betty Crocker Mom

They are prescription glasses and when you have everyone in the family wearing glasses it can be VERY expensive.

The only glasses that I have not been able to get was gulp...dare I say it:oops:...my trifocals this year, but I used my frames from last year and only had to pay for the lenses. :lol:

8. Tangerine

i checked out the website. are they the same quality (they can't be) and hold up as good as what you would get from a dr office? and how bad is the vision? i could see ordering from there is someone only had a slight vision problem but for someone with more severe problems i wouldn't think it would be good.

9. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Put it this way, my first pair from the eye doc was over 200 bucks and they lasted me a good 4 years. My first pair from Zenni were under 20 bucks and seem to be very good quality. But even if they only last a year or less, I can still buy 10 pair for the price I got one from the eye doc.

Not sure how bad your eyes are but it wouldn't hurt to look into this... unless you need like progressive lenses or something. If they turn out not ot be right for you or your family, you'd only be out a few bucks.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm going to have my first eye exam in 10 years in January. Time flys!! Sad thing is, the only thing I really need is a glaucoma test. :?

Tangy, I used to work for an eye doc way back when and the markup on frames and lenses is rediculous. The squirrel has a point, to be sure, but some of the mark up is obscene.

11. Redneck Rich

12. Tangerine

I'm definitely going to check it out. I only wear my glasses maybe once a month since I wear contacts so something cheaper would be wonderful.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The glasses from Walmart aren't bad either. I bought DS's first pair there more than a year ago and they are still in great shape. I was a little reticent too, since they weren't name brand frames, but $40 buck for a complete pair, I was going to give it a shot!! They would not however, let me have the PD, the woman made darned sure I couldn't see it. She knew I wanted it too, so I could order him a second pair online. I decided it wasn't a hill I wanted to die on that day.

14. Redneck Rich

Things to note before buying...

Get your current rx and pupilary distance from you eye doc. They don't want to give you this info cause they know what you are up to, but they have to provide it to you.

Go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and try on several pair to find the style and fit you like... take pics with your phone if you'd like. Also jot down the funky numbers on the inside arms of your glasses or some glasses that you think fit well. These numbers are the measurments of the lenses and arms and will help you pick the right pair off the net.

All this info will make it easy to find the right pair for you... and save you about 280 bucks to boot!

15. Redneck Rich

I was "told" that by law if you pay them for an eye check that they must provide the rx. Wonder if the PD is a different animal, like it's not part of the rx?

Anyway, you can always measure the PD yourself. As long as your within a millimeter or two you will be fine.

I did mine three different ways and had the same result. First measured with a ruler in the mirror. Second had a friend measure with ruler. Third I marked my pupil centers on my old glasses with a dry erase, then measured.

Came out great!

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can do it for sure, used to make a meager living at it, LOL.:mrgreen: They do have to provide the RX, but not the PD. I just got tickeled at her hunched over the device like I was going to steal it or something, LOL.

17. Betty Crocker Mom

I have ordered pairs for all my children, and they are tough on them, usually will last a year (until their next exam) as long as they do not lose them. The only thing we have noticed is we have to tighten a screw every couple of months, but that is it. I have had the same frames I had the new lenses put into for three years. Wear and tear is hard on all glasses, if nothing else not a lot of money lost and experience and possible savings gained. :mrgreen:

18. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, Dr. Haines in Smithfield still has their own lab in office and can make single vision glasses very quickly. They stock lenses there but even if they are out of your Rx can get the lenses pretty fast and then cut them for the frames there. Not going to be the cheapest but you do get what you pay for and it's also much closer than LensCrafters.