Bike Trails?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jester, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Anybody know of a few good ones? I'm wanting to do a little trail riding, but I'm interested in minimal stopping (for traffic) and either a paved or tightly packed course. Looking at about 5-10 miles round trip. Obviously, something not too secluded and/or dangerous.

2. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

I would send you down to Uncle Turnip's farm but it's huntin' season out there plus he's trying to cook up enough 'shine for the holidays and don't need no company right now. Would hate for you to get shot at. Maybe in a couple months?

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I'll wait on that one, Rich. I don't think I could enjoy the experience having to dart in a zig-zag pattern. That's not exactly the way to get the adrenaline flowing for me. :)

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

5. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

last time I was there some guy went off a little cliff and had to be carried out by ambulance. Poor fella was more worried about his $5000.00 bike instead of his broken leg flopping around.......LOL

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I couldn't ever see a reason for paying $5,000 for a bike. I paid $100 for mine at Wal-Mart and its got a lot of the amenities that nicer bikes have: 7 speeds, dual suspension, all aluminum frame, etc. Actually, Kent makes the bike and sells a near exact copy on their website for $300 MSRP.

7. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

I fabricated an insulated can holder onto my handlebar back when the judge said I needed to take a brake from the whole "driving scene"

Wonder if there is a market for these things?

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Rich - I saw this site the other day and thought of you. I *know* you had something to do with it, or at least most of it's entries. lol

www.thereifixedit.com

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Hubby does mountain/recumbent bike trails... he says he loves Harris Lake for Mountain bikes.

With his recumbent he likes the Raleigh/Cary Greenway system, you can download the maps, that they are awesome.

He said to start at the Museum of Art and the greenway is great there, or Crabtree Valley Mall, because the parking is good there.

There are nice trails at Umstead Park by the Airport....

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Umstead Park has great trails..... I forgot about that place. Went horse back riding there a few weeks ago.

11. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

12. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

umstead..from the art museum parking lot. Good ride.

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

American Tobacco Trail is great for biking.

A local option may be the new park in Garner, White Deer Park. It is suppose to have 2.5 miles of paved trail. That park links with Lake Benson park across the street which I think has about 2 miles of paved trail.

14. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

I would ride Umstead Park, pick one of the Raleigh Greenways, or Harris Lake. If you are into single track riding the Clayton Park is pretty good. I've been wanting to try the American Tobacco Trail myself. Try this website to see if any of the trails listed are interesting.

http://www.trianglemtb.com/

15. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

With this rain, you're gonna be hard pressed to find a legal trail that's open. That being said, we like Crabtree for the technical trails and Umstead is right there - take the gravel road for some hard work (graveyard hill).

And there's a reason people pay more money for high end bikes. There's no comparison between those and WalMart bikes. You're gonna break your fork. I bet you.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol:
    I got my bike at WalMartS - I should probably start riding again, just NOT anywhere there's gravel. :lol::lol:

17. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. :lol: