Wilson NC

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Anybody been to the NC Baseball Museum in Wilson?

How about the Something Different Cafe & Catering restaurant?

Trying to plan a short day trip. :)

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

We took the Amtrak from Cary to Wilson and back, just to do it. The wait from drop off to the train going back was about 3 hours. We had a pretty hard time killing the 3 hours. Went to an art museum, and the Imagination Station, then the library. I think the baseball museum was too far to walk.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't attempt a walk from the train station to the baseball museum. Now, if you carried a bicycle, it wouldn't be too bad a trek. The baseball museum is at the stadium where the Wilson Tobs minor league team plays. Its just off Tarboro Street (US 42 through town) about three blocks from the Wilson Mall. If I'm not mistaken, I think Something Different is up Ward Blvd. out near Nash Street, so really those locations are really going to be better accessed by car.

Now, if you're sticking with a sports themed trip, you might want to stop at D-I-C-K's Hot Dogs on Nash Street. Their walls are covered in signed pictures from famous athletes and celebrities. Its a landmark of Wilson, locally owned and operated and have great ball park type dogs and other food as well.

Depending on which way you go, if you want to go off the beaten path a bit, drive by Volis Simpson's Whirligig Farm off US 301. You'll see whirligigs around Wilson, but Simpson's property has the largest. They say that its an amazing site at night to drive down the road and your headlights catch all the reflectors spinning on the whirligigs. I've been during the day, but haven't had the opportunity to go at night.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Also commonly known as Acid Park.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Thanks Jester. I would like to see the whirly gigs, even though we are going during the day. And I have a gift certificate for the restaurant I mentioned - but maybe we will stop in and grab a drink or dessert at Richard's. lol

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Just don't refer to it as such to Simpson. I hear it doesn't care for the urban legend of how his art came to be. I don't blame him. Actually, he's been featured in a lot of news media. I think PBS even did a store about his work. Now, Cleo...I will tell you not to expect Disneyworld or anything. Its really just something to drive by slowly. It has to really be appreciated as art in a quiet country setting and no more. If you can't find the directions, I'll see if I can locate it for you. Its just a couple of miles off 301 between Kenly and Lucama. I can't remember exactly what the road name is...something like Windmill Road or something.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

The local Hotdog place is GREAT, sorta like Jones' in Downtown Clayton but with a TON of Sports stuff everywhere!

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Cleo, it's been a while since we went to see the whirligigs and yes, it is neat at night best I remember. :? Mr. Simpson was there the last time we took the boys and he let us into his workshop and took us on a tour. It was fun! There is so much to look at in there. It was neat to hear him talk about his creations and how he worked to put his ideas into a new whirligig. He gave the boys a spring that they still keep (they are teens now). Very nice man.

Also been a while since I ate at Something Different. They used to have good sandwiches, I remember!! Now if I get to Wilson, I head on out to Silver Lake to eat steamed oysters and shrimp at the bar. Definitely worth the drive! Hope you have a good trip!

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Are you experienced??8)

10. seabee

seabee Guest

blotter or microdots... :jester::jester:

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Where do you think they got the idea for dippin dots from?

:mrgreen:

12. seabee

seabee Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Silver Lake..............................YUUUMMMM!! Have'nt ben there in ages, I think I know where I want to go this weekend!! 8)

14. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

We have an Acid Park group on Facebook.

15. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Wiggins Mill Road

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

But Wiggins Mill (I think) runs mostly parallel to 301 until you get to Wilson. After you pass Hwy 581 between Kenly and Lucama there's a road to the left (heading toward Wilson) that's Windmill Road or something like that, which will take you straight to the intersection where the Whirlgigs are located. If she's going during the day, that road will probably be the best connector unless she's coming from Clayton. If coming from Clayton, I'd guess it would be best to come down Hwy 581 from Hwy 42 and then turn left onto Wiggins Mill.

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

You could have gone with me today. :lol: