New mammogram guidelines from the government panel of doctors

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, what i heard this morning is that in younger women in the biggest percentage of cases, their lump is found by self examination and in several cases (the women being interviewed) the mammagram missed what she found herself - now i am not saying what is right or wrong, just looking at all sides. If the radiation in younger woman creates cancer as Dr. Love was stating and the majority of cancer in young women is found by self exam, where is the balance? Saw Robin Roberts this morning on GMA and she said herself she had just recently had a mammogram and it showed nothing but then she found the lump herself and went back and did the ultrasound and it showed up. i think it should be up to the woman and her doctor personally.

2. greengoddess

greengoddess Active Member

In my case it was different. I did not have a lump that could be felt through self examination. I went for a routine mammogram. If not for that, I would still have cancer growing in my body. In fact, I had a 6 month check up with my doctor today who said I am a prime example of why women should start having mammograms at 40. I was 43 when diagnosed 2 years ago. If the current recommendations had not been in effect, I might not have gone. If I had waited, I might not have lived.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: