Myrtle Beach

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

2. I will be at Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving!!! I can't wait. The rates are really good this time of year. We're staying at Towers on the Grove in N. Myrtle.

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

OMG!!! Thank you so much. Calling today. My parents gave us Christmas money early & instead of doing a typical open presents Christmas, we're taking all the kids on a Christmas vacation to Myrtle Beach. Going to 2 Ripley's Museums and a Medieval Dinner. Can't wait & suprising kids on Christmas. This would be a huge help as far as costs go. I've heard good things about travelzoo. Thanks for posting. Even w/ 2 suites, it's only $70 a night for 9 people and honestly, you can't beat that unless you stay w/ relatives--LOL. Glad I clicked on this thread.

Stephanie--mom to 7

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

sounds wonderful! Glad I could help! :hurray:

5. Abdulina

My husband just said be sure to thank her!!! LOL. Okay, the deal is $35 Sun. - Thurs. nights & then $45 on the weekend nights. Max occupancy for the suites is 8 people, which we knew. Killer deal! It's just $70 a night for two suites that normally run $250 each in the summer he told me. Best part, we can cook in the kitchen & not have to spend much on eating out. We were going to be staying at a campground & we're going to book today. How cool is that?! Breakfast folks-- you get 2 breakfasts per room. Otherwise, it is $3 a meal for breakfast which at a resort hotel I didn't think was bad at all. No pets. Looks awesome & now can't wait to go. Going to be hard keeping this a suprise from teh kids. Thanks again.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

8. seabee

seabee Guest

caravelle can kiss my butt....

Long bay is good as are the rest... :cheers:

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Have you been to the Caravelle in the last year or so? They remodeled the main building. It's not bad. But if you think it is bad, then maybe people shouldn't listen to me about the Crown Reef being OK.

10. I think the Avista Resort is the best in North Myrtle, but it was all booked up for Thanksgiving. We stayed there in early October. Our room had the most awesome views. Every bedroom had floor to ceiling windows and the whole living room was windows. It was a three bedroom, 2 bath suite with a full kitchen. I think it was only about $150 per night. Of course in the summer it's waaayyy expensive.

11. For you guys who have stayed there before, how is the indoor pool at the Crown Reef? I was looking at the pictures and it says that it has several pools, but I didn't see any pictures of any indoor pool amongst all the other pictures of the facility. Thanks!

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We're going next week and staying at www.paradiseresortmb.com for $73/night for an oceanfront condo with a king bed, full kitchen, washer/dryer, wall bed and couch bed. We stayed there Easter of 2008 and loved it. It's a fairly new place.

13. Abdulina

No indoor pools. I asked. But, we're just sleeping there as we'll be out all day doing things..Ripley's museums and medieval dinner to name a few. We're used to camping so I figured at the very least, it can't be worse than camping--LOL. I'm hoping anyhow. For now though, we'll give it a try as I've already made reservations. I used to be a restuarant manager and have no quams telling someone their business is not up to par. I can put up w/ a lot of junk, but dirty rooms will NOT be one of them. Once we go, I'll let everyone know how it is. We wanted adventure, this just may be it. We'll see.

Stephanie--mom to 7

14. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

A family at my church has been to Crown Reef several times. They like it a lot, so you should be OK.

I stayed at Avist back in May. Other than the awful wind in the pool area, it was pretty nice! The unit we were in could have used a little spiffing up, but for $79/night for an 1 BR oceanfront condo, we couldn't complain!

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I wish I could put the word "only" in front of 150.00 a night, lol.

I second Monterey Bay.

I can't believe y'all are heading to the beach! You know what I am looking at? Snow tubing at Sugar Mountain. The Super 8 in Boone is 76 bucks a night, reviews are decent. :jester:

16. LOL - You're right. That's nothing to sneeze at. I guess I meant compared to their summer rates (The Avista), that's a good deal and it really is a huge suite. It's like 1,500 square feet. It was 3 nice, big bedrooms.

Believe me, $150 is lot of moolah for us too. We went some other family and shared the cost.

17. Cleopatra

Which answers my question - why folks go to the beach in the fall/winter. :)

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Can I go along?
    I took my kids tubing at Ski Liberty on New Years Eve last year. We had a blast. It was freezing, but tons of fun.

19. Cleopatra

I really want to go and think it would be a blast, just wondering how much of a hassle it will be. Like how many changes of clothes will we need, are winter boots and ski pants optional - that sort of thing. Can we hang out in the lodge and warm up and how much will hot cocoa cost (or how much will a cup of hot water cost if I bring my own Swiss Miss packets - lol)

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

From taking a trip up a year or two ago, we found you can actually stay at some of the B&B type places cheaper than you can the chain hotels and still have all the amenities.

Craig