ACLU suing the government...AGAIN

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

And, once again, trying to reign in power mad politicos.

So, nutshell (in honor of PRM's burfday today) version..Town of Cary does some road work which causes runoff to damage a citizen's property. Cary ignores this guy until he paints on his home "Screwed by the town of Cary" or words to that effect. That got their attention, but brought forth no solution. Cary tells him to remove the paint from his home. Then they start fining him. ACLU sues Cary on his behalf to protect his right to free expression.

It seems the town, in rerouting some drainage or roadway, causes economic damage to private property. Town refuses to compensate the private land owner to his satisfaction. Owner paints his feelings on his own property. Town fines him. ACLU sues on his behalf. Hope ACLU wins this one, too.

Not the kind of municipality that any of us envision for our area, by the way.

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Screw Cary....good for the ACLU.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Cary can kiss my butt, but they have tried to resolve this and the only thing this guy will accept is them buying him out of his house... the town wants to rework the drainage system but he said buy me out thats all I will do and accept. The Town hasn't completely turned a blind eye and deaf ear to this guy...
    Like I said Cary can pound sand for all I care...

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

From WRAL

Isn't Cary the type of town where shops and restaurants are supposed to conform to a certain look?

5. seabee

seabee Guest

yes and I guess its no different than covenants one has to follow in HOA's and best my memory most of those stand up in courts.

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

But covenants in HOAs are private contracts, that's completely different from government actions.

7. seabee

seabee Guest

no not really, Cary has long held certain standards and guidelines on appearances and I don't think it has been forced to change those have they.

8. KDsGrandma

Town of Cary = government body
    HOA = private, NOT government

9. seabee

seabee Guest

Look I'm not that stupid... does Cary have a standards on appearances they uphold??? I didn't say they were the same tit for tat but maybe similar in content as HOA's.

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

No one called you stupid.

The comparison isn't exact. One voluntarily knows the HOA rules (or should know) before purchasing. And these apply to private property.

Municipal rules can change much more readily than HOA stuff.

Suppose Cary outlaws the display of the American flag, because they consider it as not conforming with the color scheme they prefer. What then?

In this case, I side with the homeowner.

11. KDsGrandma

The lawsuit is over the sign he had painted on his house. The Town is being sued for violating his first amendment rights. The first amendment only applies to government bodies, not private businesses. The town certainly has a right to pass zoning laws that deal with signage, and they may win or lose this case, I'm not predicting how the case will come out. I'm just disagreeing with your statement that it's no different than covenants in HOAs. It's completely different. The covenants in HOAs are contract agreements, signed and agreed to by the homeowner when they purchase their property.

12. seabee

seabee Guest

Ok ok uncle... in a nutshell your being told you can't do something. I used a half a-- reference.. shoot me now... :jester::jester:

Damn Lawyers anyways. :cheers:

13. KDsGrandma

:cheers:

:grouphug: