Christmas Angels 2009

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Nov 2, 2009.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I'm in!! Let me know when and where donations go!! I just LOVE this stuff.........makes me feel all warm and fuzzy......:grouphug:

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thank you webbie for the sticky, i have every confidence that this year will be even better than the previous years and all the ones chosen will be totally deserving. What better way to give than to those in your own backyard? 4042 rocks:hurray::hurray::hurray:

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

woohoo, thank you once again to CDH for donating gift certificates for our Christmas Angel program - while we focus totally on the kids for gifts it is so wonderful that they donate the certificates that will give the parents something too, the parents are the ones struggling so much to give their children a Christmas, i love that they can take the time to relax and feel appreciated for all they do:hurray:

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get the list posted Friday.

Families have been choosen. I should have the lists tomorrow.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:iagree: :hurray:

6. JenniferK

Families have been choosen!

Ok everyone, here's what you've been waiting for!

We're helping three families this year. Below, you'll find a brief description of each family and their needs.

You have two choices. You can purchase something on the list, or you can donate money. At the end of this message, I will list instructions for how to do either.

Family #1

A year and a half ago they got custody of thier niece and this year they also have their nephew. They are now a family of 6 living off of minimum wage and trying to make many ends meet and keeping a house over thier heads.

Mom and Dad are currently both in school, and Dad has two jobs.

Boys:

Boy #1 age 15, size Men Medium top and pants are 30 waist and 32/34 length, shoes are 11.5 men.

Boy #1 prefers black or darker tops, and blue jeans, he has asked for some work out clothes for track that starts in February. He also has outgrown his winter coat this year.

Boy #1 is a HUGE Pittsburgh Steeler's fan, football player, track runner and asked for Star Wars Force unleashed for the Wii. He enjoys reading Ted Dekker and Frank Perretti books or others along those lines.

Boy #2 age 13, size Men Small/Medium top and pants are 18, shoes are 10.5 men.

Boy #2 has asked for a Bakugan game for the Wii or anything in that line, basketball and soccer player, and the Wimpy Kid books. (Our basketball metal ring has broken, I have looked for a replacement with no luck at the second hand stores, we have the backboard and the net still).

Boy #3 age 7, size 8, top and bottom, getting taller by the day, shoes are 13.

Boy #3 has asked for the Batman game for his Leapster and cars to play with in his room. He is in therapy and the therapist suggest that he had a doll to help with his nurturing problems. We have the doll, but he has asked for 'boy' clothes for his doll. (This will be his first real Christmas, and first Christmas with us. He is apprehensive about telling me anything he would like to have for fear of rejection or hurt. So anything a 7/8 year old would like I am sure he would love. He will be 8 in January.)

Girl:

Girl#1 age 6, size 6 pants and 7 for shirts, shoes are 10.5.

Girl #1 has asked for a high chair for her doll and The Letter Factory game for her Leapster. (She has not asked for anything else, last year was her first real Christmas and she was so overwhelmed by the love she was shown, I think she is scared to ask for anything for fear she will not get the love that we offer).

Girl #1 is a lovely little girl that loves to learn and read.

Boy #3 and Girl #1 love the Magic Tree House Books and Junie B. Jones Books. They are both in the 1st grade and are like sponges that love to learn. They love to write and draw when they have a spare moment and help to cook with me in the kitchen. They both are fearful that they will not receive anything since that is all they have known their entire life. They both have learning, emotional, and affection issues we are trying to help them with.

Family #2

Mom has had to go on disability and has lost 60% of her income. her fiance is working but just makes the bills. They are not even sure how they are going to get christmas for thier 5 kids. She has 3 boys and he has 2, a girl and a boy. They could use clothes and all more so then toys and would be happy with that. 2nd hand clothes would even be appreciated.

Boy #1 is 9 and a boy and wears sizes 10/12 his wish list is matchbox cars, bakugan stuff,legos. He is not picy

Boy #2 is 8 and a boy that wears 7/8 also likes bakugan stuff, air hog zero gravity racer,and air hog hobit helecopter.

Boy #3 is a 7 year old boy thsat also wears 7/8 and likes lego star war stuff, and match box cars a little harder cause he dont ask for a lot :/

Girl #1 is a the only girl and is a girly girl that is 7 and wears size 7 likes anything girly making her own jewelry, strawberry shortcake stuff, barbies, and littlest pet shop.

Boy #4 is the baby and is 4 and he wears size 5 and likes dinosaurs and superhero stuff.

Family #3

Dad works in an industry that only hires once a year. He got laid off 2 years ago, and went to work out of his industry for a company that went bankrupt soon after. He's worked any job he could find since then.

Mom stays home with 4 kids. A few years back, this family depleted every bit of their savings to pay medical expenses when they lost a child to cancer.

Boy #1 age 13
    Jeans 34x34, regular relaxed fit, darker wash
    XL Mens T-Shirts, skateboard,music or sports related designs
    Basketball
    Bat Bag for baseball, the long ones, he's over 6'
    GC for Game stop
    He's into football, baseball, basketball and skateboarding, has a PS2, but not sure what games he has, he's always trading in and getting different ones.

Girl #1 age 9
    Jeans 10 Husky at Target, boot cut, dark wash
    Girls XL Shirts, not fitted shirts, she likes them loose
    Shoes, needs sneakers or boots, size 6 ladies
    Volleyball
    Moxie Dolls or Liv Dolls
    Arts & Crafts stuff
    Any used DS games, teaching, babysitting, fashion designing, etc.
    Typical 9 year old girly girl :)
    Board Games

Boy #2 age 5
    Boys M Shirts
    Does not like jeans, sweats 8-10 or elastic waist pants in 10 Husky
    Shoes 3
    100% Boy, loves Imaginext, geotrax, hot wheels, dinasours, dragons
    Coloring,
    Has a Tag reading system, so any books would be great
    Board Games

Girl #2 age 15 mos
    24mos or 2T
    Size 6 shoe
    She needs a heavy winter coat
    ???

So, here's your chance to help a family less fortunate. If you have any of the items they've listed and would like to donate second hand clothes or very gently used toys, then please feel free.

If you're out shopping and decide to buy something for one of these kids, again, just fine.

If you don't have the time or inclination to shop, you may donate cash to me. At the end of the program, the Angel Committee will either use the cash to fill the wishes of the families, or we will provide them with gift cards so that they can go shopping themselves.

We do not provide the families with cash, as we don't want them to be tempted to use this money to pay bills. However, in years past, when we've had a lot of cash, we've provided them with gift cards so that they can do thier own Christmas shopping.

I will gladly meet anyone in the 4042 area to pick up donations. If you're sending cash, you can either mail me a check, or paypal me a donation (preferred) to DaisiLou@aol.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you all for making this program a success and for making it possible every year to help kids who might otherwise not have a Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Check your paypal account Jennifer. Please let me know if you need any help.

8. JenniferK

Bren,

Received! Thank you!

9. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I sent $ to your paypal

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!!

JK's really busy today. :lol:

11. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I have a few items to give. Don't really have a lot of $$$ this year, but did get a few things, girl things. I can meet up with someone either before Tues or after Thanksgiving weekend because we are leaving Tues to go to KY and won't be home until late night Sun.

12. harleygirl

I can run by your house tomorrow OR it can wait until after you get back, either way.

Just call me.

796-5284 (mobile)

13. ForeverFaithful

I just saw this and it is almost midnight so don't think I will call you tonight. We can take care of it when I get back. We are leaving tomorrow as soon as DD gets home from school, so lots to do in the morning before she gets home. i will give you a call when I get back.

Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

14. JenniferK

Just a bump to let you guys know that donations have been slim.

The deadline to get these donations to me is THURSDAY, DECEMBER 17th

Please, if you have any extra this season, consider donating to these families. Without our help, these kids may not wake up to presents under the tree. That's something that should never happen in this country....ever.

15. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Hey Jen, based on the list & the donations, what is still needed? Is there any kid that hasnt received much, I just want to get whats still needed. Thanks!

16. JenniferK

I haven't physically received anything yet. I've had some cash donations, but nothing off the list.

You are welcome to buy anything on the list, or if it's easier you can make a cash donation and I'll do it for you.

17. ForeverFaithful

I will be in the 4042 area tomorrow evening. I am meeting a friend of mine at Cracker Barrel around 4/4:30 pm. I have a few things to donate. Hopefully they will be ok. Even though things are tight with us here, we wanted to do a little something. So, if anyone is going to be in that area around that time, let me know and I will bring my items with me.

18. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hey Jen,

Yes, we are pretty much broke too!! However, I will pick up some matchbox cars and some little girly toys (like Littlest Pet shop stuff...etc....) distribute as you see fit. Let me know a good place to meet and pick them up, I will get them today (Wed)

19. JenniferK

Shar, I can meet you most any evening (with a few exceptions, lol) I'm meeting someone tonight at 4042, and someone tomorrow near Chops, just let me know...

20. harleygirl

FYI, family #3 (the baby girl #2) doesn't need clothes, picked them up today from a fellow 4042er.

THANK YOU!!! :grouphug:

OK! She has a winter coat AND shoes now.

Thanks girls!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009