Holiday Brunch

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Since Christmas "dinner" is divided between my Mom's and (mostly) the MILs I want to do a Christmas Brunch...you know...have MY OWN tradition. My kids are 11 and 10½ and for the past 11 years the "tradition" has been: rush through Santa, rush through our own gift giving and then divide the rest (most) of the day between the Moms. DH can cook up a mean breakfast but I want to do something special. Any ideas? Other than putting on my big girl panties and making the Moms wait their turn while I have my own damn dinner?...which I have half'a mind to do.

My stress level is going up... can ya tell?

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

4. nsanemom22

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I say DO IT!

Start your OWN tradition.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As usual, HG is on the right track. At what point do you being to develop your own family traditions? Why not have them come see you guys at your home?

7. nsanemom22

Well my Mom will come. But there are 19 on the MIL/DHs side... and that ain't happenin! lol ...I'd be seeking spirits other than the holiday sort! :cheers:

8. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

When my first child was born my parents and grandparents always came over on Christmas morning and I would fix a huge breakfast for everyone. That became our family tradition. Two years ago I passed that tradition on to my sister because she had a baby. She can have that tradition for the next 18 years.

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

So many of us in the family have kids now so we no longer go anywhere on Christmas day..... We always do the big family Christmas the weekend after or plan it for another day.

10. That's sort of what we do. We do the big family thing the weekend before Christmas. Now we just see my parents on Christmas day. It's low key but makes Christmas so much less stressful.

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Thats what I started too when mine were little cause Dh's family lives local (we do xmas eve at their house) then they come to our house for breakfast and to see what Santy claus has brought, then we'd go my parents (in Chapel Hill) for late lunch/dinner and presents. My parents are both gone and the kids are all grown now, so now after breakfast (w/ the inlaws) we go my sis' for lunch and to hangout, play games etc...FUN!! :hurray:

12. nsanemom22

I like this plan.

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

:iagree: If our parents want to see us Christmas day they are coming to my house, I refuse to pack up ds and shuffle around the hood to see my parents, he wants to play with his toys that santa brought him!!

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Amen, but I'll say 4PM. And I might be late. :cool:

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Before we moved to ... don't make me say it. :ack: Ap...:ack::ack::ack: :lol:

We used to have a party Christmas eve. Girls bring a girls gift and guys bring a guys gift. VERY FUN!

Christmas day was mom & dads house, grandmas ... running around like crazy people.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

For 17 years, DH and I would spend Christmas morning with his mom and dad & the extended fam, then the afternoon with my huge famly even after DS came along. We finally broke the tradition last year and didn't travel til the day after. Keep in mind, they all live 4 hours away. It was tough to pack up everything, everyone's presents, making sure Santa was taken care of..........etc. I nearly lost my mind on several occasions. :? So I thought it might be nice to have Christmas morning in our own house for the first time...................ever!

BUT we ended up bored stiff by ourselves, it's just the 3 of us, LOL. (both families are a lot of fun on holidays). But it was so much easier than dragging everything up the road. This year, we will probably head up Christmas afternoon so save on some traffic.

Honestly, it's whatever will make you and your family happy, whether it's with the inlaws or without.