Question for those that color their own hair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by crazymom2girls, Nov 23, 2009.

1. My hairdresser is sick and I can't see her until after Thanksgiving. I know some of you mentioned that you color your own hair. What is the best product to use if I decide that route? I'm pretty desperate!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Here's my advice..............DON'T!! LOL

I attempted to touch up my own roots Friday. I now have to screw up the courage to call my hairdresser and beg her to fix it because I was trying to save a buck here at the holidays. :oops: Just wait or go to someone else. :cheers:

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I would shoot for something semi-permanent. The last thing I used was by L'oreal. And I liked it, but I've colored my hair twice in probably the last 4 or 5 years.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am with KDC....don't do it.

5. seabee

seabee Guest

walmarts can probably get you in to do it... :jester:

6. Thanks ladies - Good advice (other than Seabee's) I will wait for my girl. I don't want to go anywhere else. I guess I'm just frustrated with these roots. I can wait another week or so.

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I have did my own hair for years and have tried a couple of differents ones on the market, but I like L'oreal or Garnia (sp). I am not a fan of the others too well. These seem to have the best conditioners in them. L'oreal creme has a conditioner that you put on the end of your hair before you color it. I cut and color my own hair and do my daughters. One thing I don't do well is highlights.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

you have to remember that it's only bad to you.....not as noticeable to others...

9. I hope that's the case.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

LOL

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

My custom color is clear. It's working very well.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Didn't you just want to make the link to the Carpet Cleaning thread?

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:jester::jester::jester:

14. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Actually I was at my wits end a few weeks ago and so was my husband. So tired of trying with no success to find a good hairdresser. Yes........I tried some that were recommended on this site. Well, we were going to the 42 Walmart one day and out of desperation decided to try their salon. Glad we did!! Found Maddy and she is great! Husband got a hair cut and I got a perm!!!!!!! She is from Pa and not from around here. The best hairdressers we've found are from the north. She is very good!!!!!! Pat

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

there is a rinse called Fanciful that works pretty good. apply it while your hair is wet, then it washes out the next time you wash your hair. I use it in a pinch. My hair is a brown base w/ blonde highlights, so I use a dark blonde color - I'd rather have dark roots than white/gray ones! :mrgreen:

16. Thanks Bandmom! I forgot that I had some this, and I used it today. It's a life saver for temporary fix. I also have brown hair with blonde highlights. The color Fanciful I have is called Fawn (I think) and it actually toned the blonde down too so my hair looks more like a medium brown and it's even all over. My highlights were getting too light anyway. :cheers:

17. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

probably too late, but look at Sally's

Sally's has a product that looks like mascara, but it's a want type of root touch up. You use it like mascara on your roots. I think it's around $15.

Or, just comb your hair a different way, and use lots of spray :)