Beware of the SHP....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by seabee, Nov 25, 2009.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of what the SHP uses for purchase criteria for their vehicles. I also know first hand the shop that did the majority of the work to the mustang, as they also built the engine in my mustang, which on a dyno toted 487 hp at the rear wheel on pump gas through a modified older model FMx transmission. The mustang that I mentioned was also a confiscated vehicle in which the SHP spent little money in upgrades and used for 2 years as a unmarked vehicle before being "abused" beyond cost effective repair.

As for what can be done now days with engine maybe you should check out Fast Lane Motorsports over at 40-210 to see what they are doing on pump gas. As I know for a fact they have built a street legal daily driven F-150 Lightning that produces right at the time of video 620 hp at the rear wheels, and have also built a street legal 98 Saleen mustang 5.4 liter that produces almost a 1000hp at the rear wheel. Or a daily driven 2007 Mustang GT that produces 750 hp at the rear wheel.

Saleen video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IGBiD16Yg

Lightning video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IGBiD16Yg

2007 GT

http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UCustDetail.asp?customerid=73

You can find FastLane here to look at some of the street legal daily driven products they are spitting out of their shop.

http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UHome.asp

Incidentally the older SHP mustangs were not stock 5.0 LX's, while they may appear that way on the outside as they were intended they had far superior suspension, transmission, rear ends to the stock standard 5.0's you could buy off the dealer floor. Such as larger sway bars, larger springs and high spring rates, larger brakes, beefed up rear ends usually with traction lock. While this wasn't up to par with the aftermarket stuff available at the time it was better than what you could get staright off the dealer floor.

Craig

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I never knew you were a fellow Mustanger, Craig. I'm a five time Mustang owner myself. All of them were V8s (two 5.0s, one 4.6 SOHC) and two SVT Cobras (GT-40 5.0 and the 4.6 DOHC). And yes, I have modified them, too. Of course, Fast Lane wasn't around (I don't think) when I was early into Mustangs. Most of my stuff was purchased through Carolina Mustang and then installed by a friend of mine or at a Ford dealership that specialized in performance installations.

I didn't realize you were talking about a speciality-built, specific example of a HP Mustang. I was merely stating about how so many stories have existed for years that police somehow got special engines with insane amounts of horsepower. This has even carried over into the Crown Vics for a number of years. People assumed that police Crown Vics are faster, when most are very close to what a average citizen could buy from their neighborhood Ford dealer. Actually, one test of a Police Interceptor vs. a HPP (Handling Performance Package) Crown Victoria revealed the civilian version to be faster due to the extra weight of police equipment.

As for the older police 5.0s. I'm not really sure they had that many more mods. Mostly you'd find silicon hoses, upgraded spark plug wires, maybe some revised light suspension and maybe a shift kit on the slushboxes, but not that much more. I think I've still got some old literature that states this. Now, I know that most of the old NCSHP LX sedans (or notchbacks as some called them) were just automatics and Ford's automatics were not known to be necessarily that strong during those years. The AOD-Es were particularly prone to problems with too much horsepower thrown at them unless they were built up some.

Mustangs are my love when it comes to automobiles. I am without one right now, but would love to get back into one some day....hopefully sooner than later. From January 1991 until December 2005 I owned no other car than a Mustang.

3. CraigSPL

While I don't currently own one, I did have a highly modified early fox body Cobra Mustang that I spent far more money on than I ever got in return upon sale. Had the above mentioned engine built a 5.0 by A-1 performance in Goldsboro(not sure they are in business any more). Got a massive 8-10 mpg thanks to a Holley Dominator carb. Bought many a part from Carolina Mustang back in the day as well.

Some of the many mods I had done included a fully cockpit adjustable saleen suspension, 6 point cage, modified 1968 FMX transmission, Lincoln Versallise rear end conversion to get rear disk brakes. After doing alot of research I found I could build a FMX transmission and put it in cheaper than I could have built the stock c-4 for the hp I was looking at the time. Add in the standard add ons such as sub frame connectors, tubular rear trailing arms and such it made for a nice fast car that would handle the curves like there was no tomorrow.

Now days it's spent looking at the Nissan forums trying to figure out what I want to do with the wife's 1992 240sx, as I've seen many articles of people building 600-900 hp street drivable cars that handle great for less than I had in the Mustang.

My first vehicle drove my need for performance. A 1970 dodge truck that the stock engine had been replaced with a 440-6 pack.

Craig

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The 240SX was always one of those cars that I found appealing. I especially liked the looks of the hatchbacks, but I don't seem to see many of them around anymore. I see an occasional coupe/trunk model but can't recall seeing a hatchback in a long time.

You definitely know your Mustangs, though. I've done some modding, but not as extensively as you. Interesting to find a mutual appreciation for the Mustangs.

5. CraigSPL

The wife's 240 is a hatch, which from reading is the more prefered model by the import scene for some reason. if it's anything like the hatch/sedan of the mustang it has to do more with handling and aero than anything else. I do know that there are more after market parts for the 240sx hatch than the sedan, just as you can find more parts for the hatch/GT mustang than the sedan.....at least body/interior wise. It's alot easier to find a 4 or 6 point cage for a hatch, not to mention after market body parts. Though it seems in the 240's case most of the after market body parts have more to do with the front end and making the car look more like a Silvia, which I have thought about for the wife's 240 along with a Lambo door kit.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I know a lot of folks preferred the Mustang sedan over the hatch for body stiffness. Of course, either benefited from the weld-in subframes. I loved the hatch on my '90 GT (my first), though for convenience. The Mustang's was so large, I hauled TVs, my German Shepherd and even stuffed a live Christmas tree in there one time...with the hatch raised, of course.

Actually, my message board participation started on the popular Mustang forums, but after I sold my '01 Cobra, I lost interest.

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

good grief!

1,949 Ticketed In Johnston Co. During Operation Slow Down
    State troopers in Johnston County issued 1,949 citations during the 2009 Fall campaign of Operation Slow Down / No Need 2 Speed campaign, which ran Nov. 16-29. Statewide, 83,118 traffic and criminal citations were issued. The major of the tickets issued locally, 1,172 were for speeding. Speed remains the leading cause of crashes. A total of 56 DWI arrests were made during the period along with 104 seat belt and child restraint violations, 103 driving without a license tickets were issued, and 17 wanted persons were arrested in Johnston County.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

= $$$$$

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Must be where all the 'Most Wanted' hang out.

I've read before that the highway patrol writes out about 300,000 speeding tickets/year. If you take 300,000 and multiply that by $130 in court costs, well...now that one big chunk of change and that doesn't even count the fines.

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Well, I think they should have more of these road/license checks more often.....

17 wanted people is a lot! Imagine if they had these checks more often how many more they would catch!