Non-lethal self defense

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Anyone have any first hand experience with some of the non-lethal self defense products currently available, or does anyone know a reputable dealer? I guess I'm pretty much talking about OC and related, and I know there's a lot of poor quality items sold in this category.

I'm not anti-firearm (I have several) but I'm also not willing to invest the time required to store, carry and use proficiently.

2. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

you may want to send wulfpup a PM, I heard he carries mace in his spandex pants when he jogs.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

My MIL purchased a taser. I think she tasered by FIL with it and it dropped him pretty good.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Try Lawman's Safety Supply off of Tryon Rd. or some of the other gun shops in the area such as Davi's or Personal Defense Center.

Lawman's was the only place I could find that actually carried the same percentage OC as what we used in the Prison system when I was a guard.

Craig

5. Gomer Pyle

Lawman's Safety Supply I don't know, but I've been in Personal Defense Center before. I'll check them out. Thanks!

6. CraigSPL

Unless they have moved they are right down the street from Personal Defense. There website can be found here:

http://www.lawmens.com/

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was given a taser as a gift a few months ago..............I've not had occasion to use it............YET! :mrgreen:

At first, I was kinda :confused: about it, but am now glad I have it. This one has the plug built in, you just stick it right in the outlet to recharge. Cheetah something or other, it's probably a POS, but I don't know anything about that sort of thing.

8. CraigSPL

Prefer my Glock....:mrgreen:

9. Gomer Pyle

I have a 1911 Commander and am technically proficient with it, but the constraints of using it for home or personal defense preclude it's use (civilians, kids, overpenetration etc.) so I'm looking for an alternative.

.45 JHP only does the job if you can deliver it where / when it's required!

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, he did say non lethal! :mrgreen: Trust me, there are other options available to me here at home. 8)

11. CraigSPL

There is always this option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

12. CraigSPL

Always have this option.

http://www.magsafeonline.com/

BTW....in my concealed carry I alternate rounds of this, and Hydrashok as each have different uses.

But overall for non-lethal use I'd look into OC or a taser........probably more so into OC as it allows you be at a distance from your attacker compared to most civilian use tasers. Then again a good 6-d cell mag light would work also if you are close enough to use a taser.

:mrgreen:

13. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Depending on your size, maybe an ASP baton? The sound/sight of one of them snapping open screams "I mean business".

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

One of the most versatile objects you can carry in your vehicle is a Mag-Lite 3 or 4 D Cell flashlight. Not only are they the best bang for the buck when it come to a quality flashlight, they make a good self-defense weapon in a pinch. Made of aluminum, after you drop 3 or 4 batteries in there its a good weight and durable. One way they work in such capacity is to first temporarily blind an assailant with the light output and then use the barrel (with hand firmly grasping the flashlight head) as a baton. Of course, it isn't exactly ideal as a personal non-lethal carry weapon like mace, pepper spray or a tazer, but it can be a good thing to have none the less simply because it far exceeds the usefulness of the cheap plastic flashlights.

15. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I need to put one of those on my Christmas list! :mrgreen:

16. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I was at a store one day and the owner was telling someone that was looking at a taser that it is legal to sell, but not legal to carry. Is that correct?