Open Letters - Rant or Rave

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Ahem,

When you say you are coming to somebody's house and they spend half the day planning/prepping a meal and getting the kids hopes up... it really isn't cool to not come or even call... and when the hostess calls to find out what happened and then calls you out on your rude, inconsiderate, self-absorbed behavior - it really doesn't help your case to try and twist it around to them not being understanding. Especially when this is the 5th time it's happened.

Basically, you're an *** with no home-training. :cuss:

Signed,

Disrespected

Who's next?

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

When someone sends/gives you or your child a gift, find at least a few minutes in your busy life to mail, email or at least call with a thank you.

3. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

When you babysit family members kids, they don't tell you thank you when they come home or the next day when you see them. :banghead:

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Grinch

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

<- MS. Grinch, with a capital B!!!

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

To tell the truth if you expect anything other than a verbal thank-you I would prefer you didn't give me or my family anything.

Not picking on you, but that is my sentiment for anyone.

7. Some people don't even give a verbal thank you. I gave my cousin a gift for her WEDDING back in May. We see each other once in a while and e-mail each other. No thank you verbally, e-mail, text, card...nothing. Pretty rude if you ask me. There are occasions were it is proper etiquette to WRITE a thank you.

I just got this from about.com:

Always send notes in the following situations:
    • Wedding gifts.
    • For sympathy letters, flowers, or mass cards.
    • To the hostess after a party that was hosted in your honor.
    • For bridal or baby shower gifts.
    • For gifts that were received by mail.
    • After being entertained by your boss.
    • Gifts received during a hospital stay.
    • After being hosted as a houseguest for one or more nights (unless it's a close relative or friend who is doing the hosting).
    • For notes or gifts of congratulations.
    Thank you notes are not required in the following situations, but would still be a nice gesture:
    • After being a guest at a dinner party.
    • After a job interview (not required, but definitely a smart idea).
    • For birthday gifts that were received and opened in person, and you already thanked the giver personally.
    • When a friend has helped you out with a special favor such as babysitting, a meal when you were sick, running errands for you when you are incapable.
    • To the sales representative who has entertained you personally as part of a business relationship.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

My rant is with someone who doesn't say thanks or at least let you know a gift was received. Although, a thank you card even when you've said thanks when the gift is received, certainly is a nice touch, too!

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sorry, again no intention to be rude, but if giving for givings sake isn't enough for you I would prefer you didn't give.

10. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:iagree:happened to me again just the other day,sure it's nice to give just for the giving sake but a little recognition wouldn't hurt either,at least to let me know that the gift was actually received in the first place.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If someone has gone out of their way to do something nice or to give a gift, it is accepted as good manners to sit down and pen a thank you note. That's just what polite people do and nothing to do with any epectation on the part of the giver. I certainly don't "expect" thank you notes, because apparently a lot of folks are raised by wolves. Which is why the few I do get are treasured and those who wrote them are held in high esteem.

13. :iagree::hurray:

I give because I want to... and like you said, these days, I really don't expect a thank you. It is rare, but it's still the right thing to do. If giving is important, so is showing appreciation. I was just raised by a Mama that let me know how important it is to acknowledge and show appreciation.

14. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Rant: To the family who brought a baby and a toddler to TSO tonight. Did they really expect the kids not to cry with loud music, fire, lasers, a lot of people they do not know all around?? Inconsiderate idiots...to the kids and to everyone else within 50 rows.

Rave: To the guy beside me who politely mentioned that he had waited all year for this concert. I stress politely because that is all he said and the father proceeded to have a hissy fit and then stormed out of the concert, thankfully with his kids in tow. I guess he thought it was fine that his kids screamed and cried for the first few songs. Oops...ranting again. Sorry. I did feel sorry for his teenage son, though. He missed the concert because he has stupid, self-absorbed parents who obviously didn't think a sitter was appropriate in this situation.

15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Rant, People driving in the left lane at the same speed as the person in the right lane, making it a rolling road block.
    Another Rant: I hate having to hear my co worker eat. He slurps everything. Its the most disgusting noises I have ever heard.

Rave, The holidays and time off from a job I hate to be with friends I love. And to take my dogs to the dog park in Raleigh

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I didn't have drink in my mouth when I read that or I would have surely ruined another keyboard. I LOVE it!!!

And, let me add . . . If I'm in the ladies room dropping the browns off at the superbowl, please do not sit there any longer than absolutely necessary. Do your business and get out FAST so I can "let 'er rip" without having to say excuse me. If you stay any longer than I can hold it I make no apologies . . . you had your chance to get out. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think this thread needs a courtesy flush!

18. Debyan

Debyan Well-Known Member

OMG that is too funny, I have to remember that :D

19. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I know :mrgreen:

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

OMG...I have tears running down my face...you and IDCHYD..are off the chain....

"baptizing a Carolina Fan" THE BEST LINE EVER!:lol: