Christmas cookies?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Dec 1, 2009.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies so far :) sounds like most of us will be wearing stretch pants by the end of December :lol:eek:h well-it's worth it!!

2. AnnetteL

My sister told me the other day that in Germany it's tradition to start baking Christmas cookies by the end of November,I guess that one of the reasons is because a lot of them contain certain spices such as allspice,cardamom,clove,nutmeg,cinnamon,etc. that need to mellow for a while first.
    When my mother used to bake them she always put them into tins and then hid them somewhere in my parents bedroom.We would get a few on December 6-St.Nicholas Day and then on each of the four Advent Sundays,and then of course on Christmas.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

So.... Annette. I bet you've got a good recipe for gingerbread to make houses with... just sayin'... ;)

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So, I think we need to do a cookie exchange!!

5. AnnetteL

Ha-ha - as it turns out I don't make those,my mother always used to make them.A few years ago I used to make German gingerbread cookies which is basically the same dough,another word for it is honeycake since they usually contain honey ;)
    Let me look around and I can probably find a recipe for it,I'm going to have to translate it first unless you can read German :)

6. AnnetteL

Great idea!!! :)

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Heck, I'll even volunteer my house. Whose in? I'm free Saturday. :jester:

Caveat: I have not decorated for Christmas yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Awwww, you are awesome. Thanks, I promise not to give this out to ANYONE! I appreciate it... they sound great. I needed to try something different this year! :hurray:

9. AnnetteL

10. Cleopatra

11. AnnetteL

Wow,how nice of you! Now I know what you meant by a cookie exchange :oops:for some reason I at first had it mixed up with a cookie recipe exchange.
    A few years ago I actually wanted to do a cookie exchange but no one I knew was interested :? Unfortunately I can't Saturday,sorry!

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

This one is easy peasy and so good.

MYSTERY BARS

1 c. butter
    1 c. brown sugar
    2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Soda crackers

Line a large cookie sheet with foil; cover with soda crackers.

Boil 1 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar for 3 minutes. Pour over crackers and smooth. Bake 5 minutes at 350 degrees or until crackers float and become bubbly.

Sprinkle 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet) over top. When melted, spread until covered. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts or pecans. Refrigerate to cool. Break apart and enjoy.

13. AnnetteL

1/2 cup of honey isn't too bad.

14. Cleopatra

That's a good one for the girls to help with, Hides. Thanks!

kdc - I haven't started baking yet.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Me either!! :lol:

Oh well.....................another time perhaps. :cheers:

16. Cleopatra

17. Speaking of balls, does anyone have a recipe for the no-bake peanut butter balls that uses powdered milk? There is no chocolate in this recipe. I just remember peanut butter and powdered milk. My mom used to make them when I was kid, but she can't remember how she made them. :lol: She doesn't have the original recipe either.

18. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

I can attest that those made by Red are VERY tasty indeed. I've sampled one or two myself.

19. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

Ohhhh a cookie exchange sounds like fun! I love to bake so I tend to go a little overboard at holiday time. My usuals are pumpkin bread, butter spritz cookies, chocolate pretzels and haystacks.

20. Cleopatra

The one I made (I *just* found the recipe) called for 2 C of honey. :shock:

It was good. Expensive, but good. I may try your recipe, I also heard Martha Stewart's gingerbread recipe was good.

Hey, you wouldn't have a good recipe for goose, would you?