Old Wives' Tales: Share Your Secrets

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by HomeGirl, Dec 2, 2009.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I was always told that if you cut your hair on a New Moon it will grow quicker...........

The old wives tale says that you should not tattoo the name of your lover on your skin, or the relationship is destined to fail.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

What about your husband or wife's name? :lol::lol::lol:

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Especially if you misspell it.

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My Mama always said not to give a watch as a gift because time will run out (of the relationship). I hope it's not true because that is one of DH's gifts this year.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I've seen a ton of those wooly bear caterpillars this year. There was even one in my boot yesterday, good thing I looked before I put it on!

6. harleygirl

NAH! DH bought me a watch back in 97, it still works AND the marriage is still kickin' :lol:

7. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

Don't kill lady bugs... They bring good luck!!!
    (and Boy, have we had them this year! If we don't get rid of them, we might can use them to decorate our Christmas tree!)

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

If you pee in a cornfield, you'll get a stye in your eye.

9. My best friend's first husband did that. He had a heart with her name in it tatooed in the middle of his chest! Their marriage lasted all of two years. I've always wondered if he had it removed or changed it somehow.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

BTW, I posted earlier in the thread about our family "Old Wives Tale" about it snowing Dec 5th in our hometown in Southwest VA............it did. Several inches. We call it my birthday snow, because it does more often than not. SIL sent pics, I'm jealous!:jester:

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

when you get the pics can you post them?

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Here ya go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rockyv58

Thanks. Pretty cool

14. Rockyv58

We got a winter Thunder storm on Christmas day. Does that mean on January 4th (10 days) we will get a snow storm?

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My wife has brought this up about 5 times now, I am concerned that if I say "Yes Dear" one more time it won't sound sincere.

16. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

:cheers:

You know she's going to ask again.

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i hope so, i am so jealous that my family in VA got 14 and half inches and it was beautiful. i loved those days where we lost power, everything was closed down and stuck in the house with the fireplace roaring, the candles burning giving us light, the bonfire in the yard and the kids sleighing and snowboarding through the yard and the best part of it all, all businesses closed down and getting paid to stay at home:cheers:

18. harleygirl

I hope so!

19. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

ok, so I have heard the tale of black-eyed peas (not the band) :) and collards on New Year's for luck and money (which btw, I hated as a kid but will try anything now) but can anyone share the old tale about when "you should or shouldn't" take down the Christmas tree? Just a wonderin...

20. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

January 6 is the Feast of Epiphany, which marks the arrival of the magi, or wise men, and we always leave our Christmas decorations up until then. Of course, with that in mind, we don't get our Christmas tree on Thanksgiving weekend, either.