Local High School Tracks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nc911flygirl, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nc911flygirl

nc911flygirl Member

Are any of the local high school tracks open to the public? I live in the McGee's area and I am looking for a nice flat place to jog.

2. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

i was wondering the same thing. We pay taxes on these schools, can we use the tracks??

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Try calling the schools to find out.

4. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

And then let the rest of us know :)

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I don't know - but I LOVE your av! :cheers:

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Doesn't the park on Amelia Church Rd have a path? Is it concrete or dirt?

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's asphalt.

The Clayton High track was open to the public the last I knew. That was about a year ago. I would imagine it still is.

WJHS probably isnt. I think they lock the gates to the grounds.
    The new school on Polenta will be done soon. Maybe it will be open.

8. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

I know Ms. Honeycutt said using the tennis courts at WJHS was fine, but to park outside the gate and walk to the court as not to get locked out. I don't think you can get down on the track though. I think it stays locked. But you could walk the parking lot perimeter at West and I bet that's a 1/2 mile or more.

9. nc911flygirl

nc911flygirl Member

Thanks everyone! :)
    I'll try to do some further investigation this week and get back to y'all.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was doing a little online searching for bike trails a week or so ago and found something that probably is a bit out of range for me, but you might like to try. There is a rail trail (old railroad line converted to a running/walking/biking path) down in Harnett County, I think. I haven't checked it out yet, but since McGee's isn't that far from Benson, that might be a good place to try. From what I read its very flat and has finely-crushed gravel on the path.

11. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

The small track at McGee's Elementary is 7 1/2 laps equal a mile. I like it because the kids can play while I walk/run.