Not everyone should try home schooling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Dec 5, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

From our classifieds:

There is a teacher at mgees elementary that loves to bully home school children and make them feel week.her name is Ms Copeland and she has over stepped her bounds as a teacher.Your children can be pulled out at no notice to you or anyone and subjected to odd and preverted questioning their are also some problems with some of the guidence counselors.If your children go to mgees x rds elementary please be carefull.The princable (my favorite typo) is a good man,I just beleive the school board has tied his hands.There are great teachers there as well and this is not pointed at them,just the culverts named above.I challenge you to go meet ms copeland for yourself and ask a few questions as to her gustapo style tactics against our children and us.

Yeah, I don't think the kids have a chance with this bozo teaching them :mrgreen:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Is this just someone's observation or is the classified poster advertising to take on kids for home schooling? I don't know what her education background is, but I don't expect her to get any business from this posting.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

She's probably just ranting, I don't think you can take on other people's kids for home schooling. BTW, she spelled gestapo wrong too. I feel sorry for her kids if she is attempting to home school them.

Oops, just looked up the ad, the person's name is James. So now I feel sorry for his kids.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. How can a teacher from an elementary school bully a homeschool kid? Is he talking about outside of the classroom somewhere? I'm confused.:confused: Whatever the explanation, dude should not be homeschooling with all those spelling errors! :lol:

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sounds like the teacher is being accused of harrassing previously homeschooled kids that have gone back into the public school system.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My guess is being corrected for grammar is considered harassment. It's obvious they are corrected an awful lot.

7. moveemonbackref

moveemonbackref New Member

quality education

Obviously the person who posted the classified about ms copeland is not nearly as educated as she is nor are they as qualified to teach a child. all of this being said judging from the spelling errors in the post. ms copeland is an excellent teacher!! (said from experience) she is strict and has high expectations of her students but imho i would much rather my child be taught by ms copeland than the person who posted for very obvious reasons. i guess their home schooling quality showed its less than average ugly head!!!!

8. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

My daughter doesn't have her but she knows her and she said she is a nice lady and is a good teacher. She teaches the highest level in math in her grade.
    I have several friends that home school and I see that they are taught different but none of the kids are stupid or slow or what ever. They have been taught well. They only difference I see is social issues. That is the only thing that is different. IMO

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I do not doubt that some educators look down on parents who wish to homeschool. Whether or not, this teacher is one of them I have no idea. I also do not make the leap of assumption that the person who placed this classified is actually teaching children at home. It could be his own observation or information that he has acquired from his children. Certainly, there are quite a few typos there, but that doesn't discredit the story.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sure doesn't help the story! :mrgreen:

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific about the "social issues" you see?

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:iagree: :jester:

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that homeschooled kids miss out on the interaction with other kids that aren't their siblings in most cases. I know that there are groups that often form to get homeschooled kids together, but I'm not sure that would be the same. That said, however I don't fault anyone for teaching their kids at school if they have the time and commitment to do the job. I wouldn't want to undertake that task myself.

One thing I wonder is the acceptance of homeschooled kids into well-known universities. It would seem to me that public and private school kids would have an advantage.

14. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

just wondering, why does a teacher have to go to college for what, 4 or more years but anyone can home school? that is one thing i could never do, i admit that i am not qualified to teach anyone.thats why i have cats and not dogs!(i love them both)

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

You imagine but here is the reality ...

2008-2009 ... Johnston County had 910 registered homeschool families with 1,642 enrolled children. Wake County had 3,771 with 7,571 enrolled children. These stats do not include families whose oldest child is in K or 1st grade and children under age 7 because you cannot register a child until he/she is 7. In 2008-2009 NC had 77,065 children age 7 and older being homeschooled. Homeschoolers combined make up the 2nd largest "school system" in the state. There is no loss to find people to "socialize" with :)

Besides all the "normal" church and community activities public and private school children are involved with, there are also a VAST array of opportunities for homeschooled children:

* co-ops - students get together weekly for classes...one coop in Cary has something like 500+ children meeting every Thursday ... one in the White Oak area has over 100 children attending

* classes for almost every topic imaginable (music, art, gymnastics, theater, foreign language...)

*clubs (history, 4-H, debate, and MANY more)

* band & choir - there are at least two homeschool bands and choirs in Johnston Co. - several more in Wake

* sports teams that compete against private schools and other homeschool teams across the state - including but not limited to football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball, martial arts, swimming, bowling league...,

* community opportunities like homeschool ice skating, roller skating, open gym, bowling, ...

* library and museum programs

* endless amounts of field trips

* community service

*spelling and geography bees; science fair; international fair

* honor society

* proms

* dual enrollment @ Community College,

... and SO much more.

Many colleges, including Harvard, actively recruit homeschoolers.

There are SO many curriculum choices to meet every family and student need and ability. There are online schools/classes, DVD programs, programs that have scripted lessons for the teacher, more "traditional" curricula, ...

Homeschooling is not for everyone. It's just one more educational choice.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

<snip>
    Yes they do. Homeschool kids tend to have higher scores, better studying habits, and be more mature than other students.

Also, if I might add - I only know of a few homeschooled families personally but every single one of them - the parent who is doing the teaching - is a former teacher and stayed home to school her children when they got to that age. What does that tell you?

17. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Okay, so educate me more. With all the many extracurricular activities that homeschooled students have offered, then what is the motivation to homeschool? A distrust of the public school system and private school? Are the specifically designed homeschool programs far advanced over that which you would find in public or private? It sounds to me that homeschooling could become more expensive than private school tuition.

As for the Harvard recruitment...I don't doubt it, but I wonder if there are any statistics that can reveal the percentages of homeschooled kids vs. private school students vs. public school in college acceptance and attendance.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The following comment has been made in jest:

When you home school your kids they'll miss out on all of the social activities such as hepatitis outbreaks and school shootings.

19. I'm in the middle of all that schooling right now. I also have witnessed a lot of not-so-bright future teachers. It's scary! You should see what I see on our class discussion boards. Future teachers that say, "I want to be a teacher because I get the summer off." I want to say, do us a favor and become a school mascot.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm not afraid to admit I used to be one of those that thought folks who homeschooled were nuts. That was before I had a kid in public school..............and DS is in a comparitively great one. I've also run across some who have done it and they are perfectly sane. :jester: I can totally see why someone would now with all the crap that goes on. There are so many kids out there who are apparently being raised by wolves. Unfortunatley I have to admit I am not cut out for it. :?