Need Creative/Inexpensive Ideas...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Dec 7, 2009.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Ok creative minds, I need your help.

As some of you may know, my Mom moved into an assisted living facility earlier this year. She's been treated wonderfully thus far, and I am impressed with the staff and their interaction with her.

I want to do something for the people who work with Mom on a regular basis, but they have 44 staff people there, and I don't feel like I can do for just a handful of them and ignore the others.

Does anyone have any ideas of something I could do for them?

I hesitate to do cookie plates because they obviously work in shifts, and if I take it at first shift, then second and third may not get anything....

I don't have a lot of money to spend on this either, as well, money is tight, we're doing Christmas Angels, and we're adopting one of the residents there with no family.

So....ideas? Please??

2. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I would say a cookie/sweets/treats platter would be the best way to go with an attached card thanking ALL of the staff and hopefully they will be generous enough to share with all of the shifts. I would think making the tray large enough too. So one tube or pkg of cookies probably won't be enough. I'd make a HUGE one for 44 peps.

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Jennifer, We went through the same thing when my dad had to move to a retirement community. We found that the best way to thank them is to write them a note and express how grateful and appreciative you are that your mom is in safe hands. That way, it is posted for all of them. We found that they aren't thanked enough...and it was appreciated.

You can also take a plate of goodies (individually wrapped brownies, big cookies, etc.) to your mom's room and have her share with the staff as they come in one day. That way your mom can take part as well...a sticker on each saying, "Thanks for all that you do!"

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I know that you are grateful for all they've done. Please let me ask you this.

If the care that she's received over the time, all three shifts...would it be too difficult for you to take something to all three shifts? You could always plan your first and second easily enough.

Having worked 3rd shift, we rarely heard from families, nor did we receive many of the goodies that came in during the day. Yet during those long lonely hours at night, when there were few present to offer a comforting touch, we were there.

It sounds as if you'd really like to make sure these folks were thanked. If possible, please take a little time out of your late night /early morning to tell them.

De Rev.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hides, I was thinking the same thing about placing the tray in mom's room. Also, something we did after my daddy passed was to take 2 large fruit baskets to the hospital unit where he was. Both had a card attached and on the outside of one card we wrote "first shift" the other had "second shift."

6. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

My mom was in a nursing home for several years. I tried different things over the years. A favorite was large glass containers or baskets filled with wrapped snacks. Such as candy (bite size), snack cakes (Little Debbies) and nabs. I fixed one for each shift and left with the head nurse. A card was addressed to 1st,2nd and 3rd shift. They loved it because they did not always have the time or money to get snacks. Give the DOLLAR STORE a shot. They have good containers. Then just fill up!!!!! Showing your appreciation is ensuring your mom gets good care. I often did things like this all during the year. Pat

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

How about Krispy Kreme doughnuts? Not sure how many work each shift, but you could carry a dozen for each shift in a holiday theme. They typically have some sort of specialty doughnut this time of year.

8. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I second this idea. I work 3rd shift in a hospital and lots of times any goodies brought in are long gone by the time I get to work. If you made three plates of cookies or whatever you choose to bring and label them one for each shift everyone will be pleased. Thank you for expressing your gratitude, on behalf of all healthcare workers we really appeciate it when someone takes their time and effort to show their appreciation.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

If your mom can handle it, I like the idea of leaving the tray w/ her and letting her hand them out as this would be fun for her too. But if not, then making a tray for each shift w/ labels would be good too.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

That is a great idea! Yum...now I want some! Thanks, Jester!

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Well, I talked to Mom last night and I think what we've decided to do is this:

I'm going to make three large trays of goodies and label them, 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I'll probably make a 4th tray for the weekenders as well.

Then, she says there are a handful of people who are really good to her, and go the extra mile. I'm going to buy some small stockings and stuff about 10 of them with goodies (candy, little lotions, etc) and leave them in her room where she will be responsible for handing them out to the people who help her the most.

Thanks for all the ideas. Some of these workers have simply gone out of their way to make time for my Mom and make her feel special, and I want them to know how much I appreciate them.

12. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Jenn that is really sweet of you to do all that, they will love it!