Fun things to do...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by SunShine26, Dec 7, 2009.

1. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggests some fun things to do with a 4 yr old? I'm trying to get her out of the house more instead of her watching cartoons all day and playing on the computer. Taking her bowling tomorrow but don't really know where else I could take her. Any ideas??

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

My kids always enjoyed going to Pullen Park. I don't know if the rides are open at this time of year or not though. White Deer Park in Garner had some really great looking playground areas when I was there the other day, and nice paved walking trails so she could ride her bike or be pulled in a wagon or ride a scooter. We used to also take our kids to feed the ducks at Lake Johnson, just buy a cheap loaf of bread or two. You could also take her to open skate times at the Garner Ice House or the skate place in Clayton (can't think of the name). And our kids also liked going to paint at the ceramic places, even when they were little. They can paint a mug or plate with lots of colors and it always turns out pretty after they put it in the kiln.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They have a nice kids playground area at the park in Clayton on Amelia Church Rd. (where the tennis courts are). You can also follow the paved trail and walk down around the back of the softball fields where there is a pond.

4. SunShine26

Thanks guys! Keep the ideas coming please :)

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Disney On Ice is in town this week at the RBC Center.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Museum of Life and Science in Durham is great. Love the butterfly house. Also, the Natural Science Museum is great in downtown Raleigh. I second Pullen Park. I still love to go there and my kids are teens! Storytime at the Public Library in Smithfield is fun too and free! Marbles is great too. Have fun!!

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

There's plenty of parks around here, I would skip the bowling alley with a 4YO - but that's just me - I think it would be an expensive date. I think the skating rink and ice skating rink are good ideas. The libraries have weekly story times, sometimes I go to Triangle Towne Center and do storytime at B&N and then go to the softplay, lastly we grab a snack or lunch in the food court and then head home in time for nap.

Also there is plethora of homeschooling and pre-k activity sites on the internet. I would set aside a time for learning and crafts daily. You can print off activity sheets to learn letters and numbers, you can also buy these in book form pretty cheap if you wish. You can pick a letter and number a day and focus on them, you can roll animals into the mix as well. A = Anteater.

The museums in downtown Raleigh are free and fun, and there are kids' museums like Marbles and acticies like Monkey Joe's - those can get expensive, I would use them sparingly as a treat or reward. Check out carolinaparent.com, they have a calendar section with family friendly activities.

9. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Join a moms club they have playgroups all the time.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

At home:
    Play in a leaf pile
    Go on a nature hunt (rocks, leaves, sticks, critters)
    Kick a ball around the yard (SEVERAL TIMES) :lol:
    If you have a dog, let her walk the dog (learns responsibility of having a pet)
    Jump Rope
    Hopkscotch
    Play Basketball (eye hand coordination)

That's all I got right now.

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

LOL......teach her how to properly retrieve a beer from the fridge.

:jester:

j/k

12. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Walk the trails at Benson Lake

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

there's also a nice park on hwy 50, near New Bethel church rd.

14. SunShine26

Thanks! You guys are awesome. You guys have some great ideas. She's actually my neice...She's been to the Marbles meuseum before and seems to like it so I might take her there as well. I'm really trying to stay away from outdoor activities in the cold because it really doesn't take much for her to get sick. Any other ideas?

15. SunShine26

That would be a negative..but thanks..lol. She'd probably try to drink it as well.

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

But make sure to give them a junk email addy, or you will get invites to every home-based business party there is. ;)