whats on YOUR Christmas list?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your spouse. :( thoughts and prayers!

About the COBRA, I am under the impression that the COBRA extension has already been passed. How I understand it is, it will be for people who have recently lost their jobs so they will have the oppurtunity to have 9 assistance months; not that they will get another 9 months assisted months.

Good luck with your fight ahead!:grouphug:

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I understood it to be that I am eligible for the federal assistance with my COBRA premiums for 9 months. An individual is only eligible if you lost your job through no fault of your own. In my instance, my position was eliminated acoss the company. I have BCBS, vision, dental, eye & Medco for prescriptions. It would be $479 month without the assistance, I pay $132. My federal assistance will end in February, but I read in the paper last week that congress is being urged to look at extending that benefit for those currently enrolled for another 20 weeks (or approx. 5 months). I can continue to carry COBRA at the full price for up to an additional 15 months if I should choose to do so after the expiration of the federally assisted program.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

me too - thats what I was referring to, and I hope they will. We'll have to carry the whole family and when I checked w/ bcbs (which is what we have now) it would be over 1000.00 per month! :cry:

4. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Be careful! You don't want to end up like that lady author (the one who wrote How Stella Got Her Groove Back). She got her husband down in the islands, and he turned out to be gay and just used her for citizenship!!!

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

It would have been over $1000.00 for us as well,so thanks but no thanks to bcbs,no cobra here either. So I guess that is something I could add to my Christmas list-health insurance ;)